Games whose original language is not English

Ephemera_5

99% of games come in English as their original language. 

I am currently working on a thesis that focuses on videogames localization and I need to highlight some examples of games that were not actually "born" in English, but since English is not my first language, I was wondering if someone knew some games whose original language is anything but English.

Every game can work, thanks in advance!

Edited by Ephemera_5

Just now, Ephemera_5 said:

I thought  about the Yakuza series but I am actually ignorant about Japanese games. I feel like many of them even start in English

Yakuza games are actually a good example. The localized English versions usually come out months (or sometimes years) after the original Japanese releases. 

Edited by Alderriz

47 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I'd say around 99.9% of them don't have any english at all, minus the main menu

Really? I thought most of them all had English subs at least!

45 minutes ago, Alderriz said:

Yakuza games are actually a good example. The localized English versions usually come out months (or sometimes years) after the original Japanese releases. 

Yes, but Yakuza games are eventually translated. So they are temporarily available to Japanese fans only.
I was looking for Japanese (or Chinese, why not) games that have their original language only, or any language but English. I know it is like looking for a needle in a haystack but I kinda need it?

Just now, Ephemera_5 said:

Yes, but Yakuza games are eventually translated. So they are temporarily available to Japanese fans only.
I was looking for Japanese (or Chinese, why not) games that have their original language only, or any language but English. I know it is like looking for a needle in a haystack but I kinda need it1f605.png

Ah, so you're looking for games that haven't been translated to English at all.

Policenauts doesn't have an official translation, it was only released in Japanese.

Mother 3 is probably the most well known game that didn't get an English localization. Fans have been asking for it for years.

Both of them have unofficial fan translations, though.

• Like 1

The Yakuza series has 2 entries that have never been translated. They are the historical spin-offs Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! and Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin!

There are probably hundreds of Japanese visual novels that, so far, have not been translated into English.

Here's some examples.. I own all of these on Vita:

Variable Barricade

Kenka Bancho Otome

Reine des Fleurs

Diabolik Lovers

Nil Admirari no tenbin teito genwaku kitan

There's also a ton of older games that are Japanese only. For starters, look at this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_translation_of_video_games

and.. I found this for you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Japan-exclusive_video_games

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alderriz said:

Ah, so you're looking for games that haven't been translated to English at all.

Policenauts doesn't have an official translation, it was only released in Japanese.

Mother 3 is probably the most well known game that didn't get an English localization. Fans have been asking for it for years.

Both of them have unofficial fan translations, though.

Never heard about these games, looks like they are not popular in my country. Thanks for providing these examples?

4 hours ago, peffsi said:

The Yakuza series has 2 entries that have never been translated. They are the historical spin-offs Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! and Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin!

There are probably hundreds of Japanese visual novels that, so far, have not been translated into English.

Here's some examples.. I own all of these on Vita:

Variable Barricade

Kenka Bancho Otome

Reine des Fleurs

Diabolik Lovers

Nil Admirari no tenbin teito genwaku kitan

There's also a ton of older games that are Japanese only. For starters, look at this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_translation_of_video_games

and.. I found this for you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Japan-exclusive_video_games

Never heard about these games neither! My gaming culture is not as wide as I thought?

Thanks for providing me the link! You are very kind!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...