SF 4 Trials

crowizard

11 hours ago, crowizard said:

For his last trial, everything is about feeling you develop for punches. If i remember correctly you need to do QCF+P followed by light punch. There is a gap between that and next light punch that cancels into next HP. That second LP and HP has to be pressed almost exactly at same moment. Try to squeeze LP a moment earlier. 

I would suggest to practice it 2 times in a row. When you get feel, then you can sure do it 3 times. It is all about heavy practice same thing over and over about this trial because his loops are infinite.

I see, thanks.

On 13.2.2022 at 10:58 PM, EdgeHosenkan said:

I suggest to play with DS3 is NEVER needed to play with arcade stick, i play only with DS3 and can finish all trial of SSF4 on 6-8 hours, arcade stick is for long play is better yeah but for only trophy is not requier

Well, you are slightly faster than me who is already at 60 hours and still has to do 7 characters ?

Stuck at C.Viper's hard #3. One of the problems I have is that I am barely capable of doing that motion so quickly. Plus, when I do it really fast, the game registers my three punch button as a light punch button, since that button press is too close. I mean doing that ultra in that split second is beyond me. How do you do that without a fighting stick?

Edited by Gommes_

On 19. 02. 2022. at 7:17 PM, Gommes_ said:

Stuck at C.Viper's hard #3. One of the problems I have is that I am barely capable of doing that motion so quickly. Plus, when I do it really fast, the game registers my three punch button as a light punch button, since that button press is too close. I mean doing that ultra in that split second is beyond me. How do you do that without a fighting stick?

Her cancels are a nightmare. You need to press down and c.LP at same moment. Then try to spin analog as fast as you can, but also having clean motion. Because when you go so fast, you can easily mess up motions. The only thing about these trials is persistence since they are incredibly frustrating and i still say they are the hardest thing i ve done even though they doesnt contain heart racing moments nearly as Splasher, Super Meat Boy and similar games. But they are frustrating for any newcomer to this series for sure.

So you do something like this:

d+LP, df, f, uf, u, ub, b, db, d, df, f + PPP

Good luck!

5 hours ago, crowizard said:

Her cancels are a nightmare. You need to press down and c.LP at same moment. Then try to spin analog as fast as you can, but also having clean motion. Because when you go so fast, you can easily mess up motions. The only thing about these trials is persistence since they are incredibly frustrating and i still say they are the hardest thing i ve done even though they doesnt contain heart racing moments nearly as Splasher, Super Meat Boy and similar games. But they are frustrating for any newcomer to this series for sure.

So you do something like this:

d+LP, df, f, uf, u, ub, b, db, d, df, f + PPP

Good luck!

That spinning worked when I tried to connect that light punch. Now it has to work within this combo. I think I need a stick, because my thumbs can't be that fast and precise at the same time ?. Man, this combo...

30 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

That spinning worked when I tried to connect that light punch. Now it has to work within this combo. I think I need a stick, because my thumbs can't be that fast and precise at the same time 1f605.png. Man, this combo...

I feel you. They are insane. I just tried now to replicate that 3rd trial for second time and I could not do it. Even after so much practice. I could if i spend 1,2 more hour but I ll save myself from that ?. But dont get discouraged you will pass it all, just repeat repeat and repeat amd one time it will all come out as it should. It took me a lot to get clear of C.Viper and Ken trials. 

One more note: when chaining in combo press down and LP at exact same time so you rule out SJ in red otherwise you can do ultra without SJC if you hold down any longer. So just tap with analog down for a milisecond plus LP and then roll automatically in extreme quick motion. 

4 hours ago, crowizard said:

I feel you. They are insane. I just tried now to replicate that 3rd trial for second time and I could not do it. Even after so much practice. I could if i spend 1,2 more hour but I ll save myself from that 1f603.png. But dont get discouraged you will pass it all, just repeat repeat and repeat amd one time it will all come out as it should. It took me a lot to get clear of C.Viper and Ken trials. 

One more note: when chaining in combo press down and LP at exact same time so you rule out SJ in red otherwise you can do ultra without SJC if you hold down any longer. So just tap with analog down for a milisecond plus LP and then roll automatically in extreme quick motion. 

I think I am already doing that cause Viper is doing the high jump all the time instead of the ultra. So at least I got that fast down and up game right. Anyway, how I said before I think I just can't do it with the PS3 controller. Will start looking for a fighting stick ?

Thanks for your help btw.!

13 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

I think I am already doing that cause Viper is doing the high jump all the time instead of the ultra. So at least I got that fast down and up game right. Anyway, how I said before I think I just can't do it with the PS3 controller. Will start looking for a fighting stick 1f612.png

I suggest just keep doing it, do other characters and then come back to her, that is how I approached. You can do it with DS3, I did them all with DS3, and Im sure you can do them too. They are doable but really really hard. Gave 10/10 difficulty without a single doubt about it just because it needs heavy practice and determination if you want to pull them off. I had to change 2 DS3 controllers because buttons got loose and would stuck while pressing. That says how long I played.

3 hours ago, crowizard said:

I suggest just keep doing it, do other characters and then come back to her, that is how I approached. You can do it with DS3, I did them all with DS3, and Im sure you can do them too. They are doable but really really hard. Gave 10/10 difficulty without a single doubt about it just because it needs heavy practice and determination if you want to pull them off. I had to change 2 DS3 controllers because buttons got loose and would stuck while pressing. That says how long I played.

I don't have any characters left. She and her 3 trials are the last thing to do ?. Tried it for so long and I gotta say, her trials are another world. Gen was crap, no doubt but at least I knew that I'll get it done eventually. This however, is different.

• Like 1

On 22. 02. 2022. at 4:39 PM, Gommes_ said:

I don't have any characters left. She and her 3 trials are the last thing to do 1f601.png. Tried it for so long and I gotta say, her trials are another world. Gen was crap, no doubt but at least I knew that I'll get it done eventually. This however, is different.

I see you did them all. That is huge achievement. At first i thought her 5th trial would be harder, but still her 3rd and ken 4th were by far hardest for me. I remember when you said that you arent capable of doing them. See, everything is just about persistence in trophy hunting.

Congrats!

• Like 1

On 2022-02-21 at 11:06 PM, Gommes_ said:

I think I am already doing that cause Viper is doing the high jump all the time instead of the ultra. So at least I got that fast down and up game right. Anyway, how I said before I think I just can't do it with the PS3 controller. Will start looking for a fighting stick 1f612.png

Unless you have experience with stick and its investment for future. I suggest stick with a controller. It takes time to learn how to play properly with a fighting stick

11 minutes ago, crowizard said:

I see you did them all. That is huge achievement. At first i thought her 5th trial would be harder, but still her 3rd and ken 4th were by far hardest for me. I remember when you said that you arent capable of doing them. See, everything is just about persistence in trophy hunting.

Congrats!

Yes I did. Sorry, I totally forgot to post it in this thread. Her #3 was by far the hardest! Others don't even come close. Ken's trials were shit, no doubt. But just like others it was kinda clear what the game wanted and that I'll be capable of doing that, even if that takes time. With Viper's #3 that was not the case as that move was something completely different. Studying 1 frame links and abusing the pause button to see at what moment certain things have to be done is one thing but inputting the motion of an ultra to cancel a light! punch is insane. The SSF4 version is much easier, due to implementing another crouched medium punch. A medium punch gives you so much more time for the ultra but a light almost leads to push that button and the ultra motion at the same time.

Btw, thanks for your help man! ?

1 minute ago, Vergil said:

Unless you have experience with stick and its investment for future. I suggest stick with a controller. It takes time to learn how to play properly with a fighting stick

Yes I heard about that. Spinning the stick like crazy on the controller eventually worked.

For others wondering what they are doing wrong - it is not always the wrong motion, it is the time of the input. If a light punch comes out instead of the ultra it does not neccessarily mean that your ultra motion was off but rather the timing. This can beautifully be seen with one of the hard trials of Gen, where you have to do a hard punch followed by the Hyakurenko (spamming the punch button) which needs to be cancelled into a super.

You could think that spamming the punch button will always lead to the Hyakurenko and make the single hard punch before obsolete or better said not come out. BUT if your timing is right and you hit the exact frame the game wants, a hard punch will come out followed by the spam move, even though you spammed both moves. And when I meant that this can be seen, try it with a turbo controller. If you turbo the hard punch, only the Hyakurenko motion will come out OR the hard punch + the Hyakurenko, even though you just turboed the punch button. That way you can see that it is all about that brutal timing. Since the turbo move is not consistent when it comes to the input time, it leads to the timing being faulty and not the motion. This also applies to C.Viper's #3.

• Like 1

On 25. 02. 2022. at 1:43 PM, Gommes_ said:

Yes I heard about that. Spinning the stick like crazy on the controller eventually worked.

For others wondering what they are doing wrong - it is not always the wrong motion, it is the time of the input. If a light punch comes out instead of the ultra it does not neccessarily mean that your ultra motion was off but rather the timing. This can beautifully be seen with one of the hard trials of Gen, where you have to do a hard punch followed by the Hyakurenko (spamming the punch button) which needs to be cancelled into a super.

You could think that spamming the punch button will always lead to the Hyakurenko and make the single hard punch before obsolete or better said not come out. BUT if your timing is right and you hit the exact frame the game wants, a hard punch will come out followed by the spam move, even though you spammed both moves. And when I meant that this can be seen, try it with a turbo controller. If you turbo the hard punch, only the Hyakurenko motion will come out OR the hard punch + the Hyakurenko, even though you just turboed the punch button. That way you can see that it is all about that brutal timing. Since the turbo move is not consistent when it comes to the input time, it leads to the timing being faulty and not the motion. This also applies to C.Viper's #3.

Nice experimentation. I dont have turbo controller so i could not test that. And by the way useful tip to know for C Viper. I know for Gen, or E Honda or that Chun Li Hard Trial 2. They gave me headaches because it takes time to learn how to connect punch to hundred slap combos or Chun Li hundred legs. I would always remap controller layout for that trials and do 5 piano inputs depends what trial asked from me. Also as you said you need to time punch/kick before in brutal timing to land 5th punch/kick so that it connects to combo. I said to myself that if I can do this then I can learn how to play piano ?.

9 hours ago, crowizard said:

Nice experimentation. I dont have turbo controller so i could not test that. And by the way useful tip to know for C Viper. I know for Gen, or E Honda or that Chun Li Hard Trial 2. They gave me headaches because it takes time to learn how to connect punch to hundred slap combos or Chun Li hundred legs. I would always remap controller layout for that trials and do 5 piano inputs depends what trial asked from me. Also as you said you need to time punch/kick before in brutal timing to land 5th punch/kick so that it connects to combo. I said to myself that if I can do this then I can learn how to play piano 1f602.png.

Yes, these ones were tough as well. But at that time I haven't figured out what I just described, so I always input a punch and THEN I started mashing. Now I know that you could mash right away or just simply be a master of reckognizing single frames by eye sight and do it like that ?. Btw, maybe I should learn to play the pianio. Thinking about the time I've put into fighting games ?.

• 1 year later...

I've just recently started back playing this after a year , I've been playing the ultra version and finished balrog combos wasn't that hard actually so I figured ok let me go back to balrog and finish on this vanilla version and I'm running into this problem on hard trial 5 it's pretty much same as 24 on ssf4 but while I'm doing the combo the same way I noticed the dash upper doesn't come out like on ssf4 it comes out every time as dash low smash it's annoying lol any tips? I have been using ps3 controller by the way

1 hour ago, Spookyentertainm said:

I've just recently started back playing this after a year , I've been playing the ultra version and finished balrog combos wasn't that hard actually so I figured ok let me go back to balrog and finish on this vanilla version and I'm running into this problem on hard trial 5 it's pretty much same as 24 on ssf4 but while I'm doing the combo the same way I noticed the dash upper doesn't come out like on ssf4 it comes out every time as dash low smash it's annoying lol any tips? I have been using ps3 controller by the way

Just tried it, and i had no issues with arcade stick or dualsense.

So i went to training room and I think, I got the solution. In the vanilla version the controls are more strict/less forgiveable. Basicly You cant go the down+forward position within your input. Doesnt matter if you press K or KK AFTER you reached the forward position with your stick, if you had the f+d input too = low smash.

You can try it in training mode with "input display" ON

Edited by SiC
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

How does the PS5 controller play on this game? I can imagine using an old ps3 contoller to be quite annoying on a game like this, but I was wondering if anyone found it easier with the much more robust ps5 controller, or even ps4? thanks