Hints and Tips

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 11:34 PM, Tenshi__ko said:

nice work... thanks!!! i love the game, waiting for the second part with much desire!!

Thank you! I tried to keep it as spoiler free as possible, so it didn't ruin the experience for people who just needed a little helping hand  :)

I'd love a second game as well! The guy that does the artwork for the game Jerome Jacinto is pretty active on twitter, he goes by sinto_j on twitter if you wanna follow him, and he still posts some Ghost of a Tale stuff on there from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the outfits felt really underutilized imo, the Thief outfit is only used once and I'm pretty sure the Ranger one isn't used at all (and the 50% chance of prison on getting seen isn't helpful at all when the Guard armor basically guarantees you'll never be seen)

• 3 months later...

EDIT: After posting this I managed to get a work around to the problem and complete the game so I’ll just put what I did in case someone runs into the same problem one day.

“Hey I could use a bit of advice I seem to have the missing commander glitch and I’m not sure how to resolve this. The only places that have any advice for it are on the steam versions so I’m hoping anyone came across this and got through it and what did you do?”

So around the time when this glitched for me I was right before the cook mission so for me triggering that side mission along with getting the item to finish another quest of his seemed to trigger his model returning back to his office.

I don’t know if this is a guaranteed fix I just got lucky it worked for me after deleting and reinstalling the game didn’t seem to do the trick.

Edited by ArtisticGeek

• 9 months later...

Got everything in one go but messed up on Dodgy Mouse somewhere. It wasn't the final fight as I had a save from before it, completed a couple more times without getting hit and it didn't unlock. No guard detections and the only time I recall visibly losing HP that I kept the save is when I was briefly poisoned by a purple mushroom before I grabbed it. I reloaded a save every time I stepped on a bear trap as well as I think every time I was stabbed by bees.

I recall the red alert and panic noise playing for awhile after I killed the 2nd spider, but I didn't lose any HP so I thought I was fine. Spiders don't have a ranged attack do they? Replaying it now and this time I killed the first with a trap and smashed the other with bottles from far away, but there was still panic music for a bit after it was dead.

MY TIPS

If you find any clothing as you search the jail, put it on if if improves how hard it is to be seen or heard.

The first step I would recommend after you get out of the Jail is to acquire the Ranger Boots as that will greatly muffle your walking and sneaking to make it easier to get the Rat Guard armor pieces. After talking with the Blacksmith, wait for the guard patrolling the nearby stairs to leave the courtyard, then cross the courtyard to the left and enter the staircase going up. Walk past the hallway with the guard and enter the room with the wrecked ceiling. Push the wood block out to create a platform outside. Go out the window onto and climb up to the broken 3rd floor. Carefully walk around the edge and then look up to see the ladder. Toss a stick at the latch to drop it. Climb up the ladder to find the chest with the boots. Push the barrel so you can get back to the 3rd floor where you can drop down.

There are unlimited Candles and a Jug of Oil to refill your Lantern in the Jailer's Office near the Blacksmith (just inside the exit from the Jail).

Through the nearby large double doors is the barn, which has an unlimited supply of Sticks.

Pinecones (fire grenades) are limited for most of the game, but there is an area when you can get an unlimited restock after a certain late game story mission.

There doesn't appear to be an infinite source of Slime Jars (slick trap to trip guards) and there are very few of them. There isn't an infinite source of Bottles, though they are pretty plentiful so if you are filled up when you come across some, try to remember where they are next time you need to restock.

Order of Mouse skills I recommend is:

1.)Red Mist  - Highlights everything you can grab or interact with on the screen. There are some things higher up (like keys) that I would have missed without the highlighting

2.)The Stack - Doubles the amount of all consumable tools you can carry from 5 to 10. If you enter an area fully stocked up you should never run out even if you are somewhat careless.

3.)Strong Arm - Extra damage from throwing. Can kill a spider faster with pinecones or bottles, also allows you to neutralize a Bee Hive with 1 bottle instead of having to use pinecones to 1 shot them.

You can knock out those 3 quite easily and early as their first 3 quests only require going to the Jail and the Courtyard which you will have easy access to after you get the rat armor pieces.

After that it doesn't really matter, The Surge supposedly speeds up stamina regen, but I didn't notice a difference in other outfits. Also guard armor doesn't use stamina. The Long Drop faster recovery after falls, you probably shouldn't be falling a large distance anyway. Keen Ears by this point you won't be doing much sneaking as you'll have full rat armor or the Gold armor.

Order of Commander skills to buy is tricky.

Unlike the Mouse skills, these come in very slowly. You can do 1 early, but the other 3 you can't complete until near the end of the game, it is quite cruel. You can acquire the flexible gold armor faster than the fully upgraded rat guard armor. The 1st level of the armor upgrade is a bit faster, but not much.

So I recommend instead for your 1st skill Trap Seer which puts a noticeable, white HUD indicator above the spider traps.

There are traps hidden in the tall grass by the Far Tower and the indicator also displays on traps in the dark of the Catacombs and the Sewers. I found that much more useful than a very minor speed boost to the rat guard armor. Lvl 2 trap upgrade lets you reset the traps, but I don't know why you would as there are only 2 rooms in the game when that would be useful. There isn't a noticeable improvement in movement of the rat guard armor until you turn in 2 quests to get both levels of armor upgrade.

Edited by Guardian_owl