In terms of trophy hunting

Evers_cl

I've done the PS4 and then go for the upgrade but it's kindof a case by case basis since some games don't have safe transfers. If you don't have a problem with playing the game a second time for the platinum then doing PS4 to PS5 upgrade would save money!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Evers_cl said:

What you guys suggest, buy the ps4 version of a game and upgrade it?, just first play the version on ps5 and then play the ps4 version?

When it comes to games available on PS5, I'll be looking to purchase just the PS5 version and play though it the one time. Pretty much what I did with the PS3/PS4 versions during the transition.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaivRules said:

When it comes to games available on PS5, I'll be looking to purchase just the PS5 version and play though it the one time. Pretty much what I did with the PS3/PS4 versions during the transition.

then wait to the sales and buy it again on ps3? or just ignore it?

Edited by Evers_cl

Play the PS5 version. If there is some manner of safe transfer back to PS4 and it either autopops fully or enough to where it doesn't take much to then 100% then sure. If you played the PS4 version before the PS5 came out and you can upgrade and autopop everything or again have it not take very long then go for that too.

Way I look at it. 

I don't think all PS4 versions of game that can transfer saves to their PS5 versions (and vice versa) auto-pop trophies, so it's very much a case by case basis. I'm unsure if any list of which games work with these methods or not exists yet or not, but I imagine one will likely be created eventually if it doesn't already exist somewhere.

Personally, I'm going to be getting PS4 versions of games whenever they exist for the most part (physically anyway). Main reason being, I just see more benefits to it then getting the PS5 version outright: Usually having access to 2 different versions (even if the PS5 version is just a digital copy), PS4 versions are generally cheaper, and being able to transfer saves to the PS5 version to auto-pop trophies for some games, or at least just carry on progress if nothing else.

This is the first time I've ever really done this, I immediately started getting all cross-gen games on PS4 rather than PS3 back in 2013 and onwards, and almost always got games on the newest consoles before then as well (to be fair, pre-PS3, the same game on the older hardware could essentially be an entirely different game, like Rayman 2 on PS1 vs PS2). I think one of the things that makes me more comfortable with still getting cross-gen games on PS4, is that the PS5 is backwards compatible anyway, PS4 wasn't with PS3. I will still get cross-gen games on PS5 if there's any extra content in the PS5 versions however, or they're otherwise significantly better, but with how early on we are right now into this gen, that isn't really the case currently.

• Like 1