ONLINE PASS- READ THIS!!

DCSZ07

There seems to be a lot of confusion around if an online pass needs to be purchased… So here is my experience… I purchased a used disc copy from the store a couple months ago.  Then when I heard about the server shutdown I installed the game to see if I could access the online since I heard you needed to purchase the pass.  I didn’t realize you had to complete the tutorial Race to unlock the online mode, so I just set it aside to think if I was going to buy the bundle off the store for 40 US dollars.  I was in my PS Store today July 18th downloading games and as I am scrolling I see the Shift 2 online pass.  I was like WHAT????.  Long story, short… I am assuming EA made the pass free sometime ago, because I didn’t have any online pass codes or purchased anything.  So check your PS Store My Downloads tab to see if you have the online pass.  I hope this helps somebody!  

• Like 1

@johncnstntn__ I understand what you are saying, but it is possible for someone to get a used disc copy without a code and get the online pass.  EA made a lot of their games online passes free, and Shift 2 might have been one of them.  I didn’t have to buy a online pass, and I didn’t use a code.  And I didn’t even realize I had the pass until I was searching through my downloads.  

Edited by DCSZ07

So this game has been in my radar for a while now and with the upcoming server shutdown I’m thinking of spending 40$ to go for the 100% lol. However this thing about the delisting of the pass and the dlc and all has me really confused. Can somebody please confirm If I purchase the Ultimate version from the US store today being July 19th will I get the download for the game, the online pass as well as the DLC to go for all trophies? 

On 7/19/2021 at 8:05 PM, Abraniell said:

If I purchase the Ultimate version from the US store today being July 19th will I get the download for the game, the online pass as well as the DLC to go for all trophies?

From looking at the description of the Ultimate Edition on the PSN Store, it says “This bundle includes a digital license for SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED and all of the downloadable content for SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED: Legends, Speedhunters Edition, and Unlock All Cars and Events.” It doesn’t mention anything about an online pass but I sure do hope so this comes with the DLC for the trophies. If you do end up buying this, you might have to get all the trophies in a 48 hour period with the free trial. 

I tried using the code that came with my game from Amazon, it wouldn't work.

I then tried purchasing a new code, it wouldn't let me buy one.

So for me, it's 48 hours or skip the game.  Haven't used my free 2 day trial yet though.  That's the key, get your session all planned out with who is playing/participating so you can be sure to get the trophies you need in time.

On 7/22/2021 at 3:41 PM, LegendExeter said:

Where did you try buying a new code? The code that came with my (used) game says it’s either expired or it was entered incorrectly, so I assume that all codes are expired. The million dollar question is, does the Ultimate Edition come with the DLCs and Online Pass? I’ve looked it up everywhere and the Limited Edition comes up instead. If anything, I might just take the risk of getting everything done in 48 hours. 

41 minutes ago, MistressYT-- said:

Where did you try buying a new code? The code that came with my (used) game says it’s either expired or it was entered incorrectly, so I assume that all codes are expired. The million dollar question is, does the Ultimate Edition come with the DLCs and Online Pass? I’ve looked it up everywhere and the Limited Edition comes up instead. If anything, I might just take the risk of getting everything done in 48 hours. 

Don't all digital games come with the online passes if they are needed? I've never heard of one that didn't (Outside of the Dirt GWG Xbox fiasco years ago)

On 7/18/2021 at 8:34 AM, DCSZ07 said:

@johncnstntn__ I understand what you are saying, but it is possible for someone to get a used disc copy without a code and get the online pass.  EA made a lot of their games online passes free, and Shift 2 might have been one of them.  I didn’t have to buy a online pass, and I didn’t use a code.  And I didn’t even realize I had the pass until I was searching through my downloads.  

I'm pretty sure they did make it free, but if you didn't "purchase" it before the delisting, you would be out of luck. 

4 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

Don't all digital games come with the online passes if they are needed? I've never heard of one that didn't (Outside of the Dirt GWG Xbox fiasco years ago)

I'm pretty sure they did make it free, but if you didn't "purchase" it before the delisting, you would be out of luck. 

The Ultimate Edition of Shift 2 is still available to purchase for me (US). And yes, you’re right in regards of the online pass being included as it should, but it’s just not explicit in the item’s description that there is an online pass that’s included, so it’s all up for speculation until we have an actual confirmation proving that. 

23 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

I DID NOT buy a pass or input a code and I have the DISC copy, and I got the online pass!!

On 7/22/2021 at 2:41 PM, LegendExeter said:

I tried using the code that came with my game from Amazon, it wouldn't work.

So for me, it's 48 hours or skip the game.  Haven't used my free 2 day trial yet though.  That's the key, get your session all planned out with who is playing/participating so you can be sure to get the trophies you need in time.

Have you checked the My Download tab in the PS Store if you have the online pass.  

On 24-7-2021 at 5:29 AM, MistressYT-- said:

The Ultimate Edition of Shift 2 is still available to purchase for me (US). And yes, you’re right in regards of the online pass being included as it should, but it’s just not explicit in the item’s description that there is an online pass that’s included, so it’s all up for speculation until we have an actual confirmation proving that. 

Do you perhaps have a alt account in EU? The online passes are there still there (and free!). They probably don't work with the US version, but it's worth a shot to try with the EU account. 

On second thought: even though the description doesn't say so. EA would sell you an incomplete experience if the online pass is not included.

Think of buying a new and sealed game in a store. The pass is included. 

Edited by ConAir
Second thought.

11 hours ago, ConAir said:

Do you perhaps have a alt account in EU? The online passes are there still there (and free!). They probably don't work with the US version, but it's worth a shot to try with the EU account. 

On second thought: even though the description doesn't say so. EA would sell you an incomplete experience if the online pass is not included.

Think of buying a new and sealed game in a store. The pass is included. 

I’ll see what shows up on my EU alt account. I get what you’re saying 100%, but I just want to be sure that I don’t have to get everything under a 48 hour threshold. 

Hey guys, I can confirm that the Ultimate Edition from US Store is good to go for the 100% as of today being August 4th, thankfully I didn’t wasted $40 lol.

Just bought the game from the store and after the checkout you’ll get just 4 downloads; the game, legends pack, speedhunters pack and the unlock all cars & events. So yes the Online Pass is not technically here, however upon starting the game you’ll get a couple of random trophies and then after the tutorial the Online will be available without any sort of limitations as if the Online pass was either not needed at all or included within the same download for the game. I was able to play online against a random without any problems or unusual messages.

I can also confirm that you can play the career mode without having an online connection or being sign into PSN or Autolog.

Just make sure you’re able to get the online trophies out of the way before the end of the month and you should be good.

• Like 1