Creating A Good Team?

distressedjazz

I am wanting to get back into Gems of War a little bit, but as of recent I am finding my team just isn't cutting it, and I am at a distinct lack of mythic and legendary cards. Does anyone know of some good teams that can be easily formed?
Currently I am working with my hero (Elf?), with a +3 Mang weapon at level 153, with Goblin King, Orion and Sheggra.
So basically, just any tips on making a good team, recommended troops etc.

Your best bet is to try and make a loop team  that way the enemy don’t even have a chance to take a turn. I can beat level 1000 players with a loop team and I’m only level 257, and also most content can be taken down with a loop team. So best bet research what cards you need to make a loop team 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, distressedjazz said:

I am wanting to get back into Gems of War a little bit, but as of recent I am finding my team just isn't cutting it, and I am at a distinct lack of mythic and legendary cards. Does anyone know of some good teams that can be easily formed?
Currently I am working with my hero (Elf?), with a +3 Mang weapon at level 153, with Goblin King, Orion and Sheggra.

Ask on the Facebook community group, or the Reddit group. Lots of super Gems geeks there to guide you

On 7/18/2021 at 8:09 PM, distressedjazz said:

Hi there! If you use discord I'd be more than happy to add you to our guilds for advice and trophy hunting discussion in general. Also always happy to help over PM on psn. Shoot me a friend request I'd you'd like - PSN is same as username here. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 20/7/2021 at 4:21 PM, GunfighterHefty said:

Hi there! If you use discord I'd be more than happy to add you to our guilds for advice and trophy hunting discussion in general. Also always happy to help over PM on psn. Shoot me a friend request I'd you'd like - PSN is same as username here. :)

Hey, I'm sorry this is an incredibly late response, I genuinely just hadn't seen this until now. I do use discord and if the offer is still out there I'd definitely be down

I'll give some basic suggestions to have some information in this thread at least and not just available on discord or reddit or anywhere else outside here.
- the chalcedony loop: have four construct units in your team among them the troop called chalcedony: that's it. For extra tweaking: bone golem in first position, gargoyle or czernabog in 3rd position and the hero as geomancer with either doomed club or doomed sledge. I know these are doomed weapons so not everyone has these, mountain crusher will work as well. And really, the main point is having chalcedony and a team of four constructs.

- the goblin loop: four goblins. It can still work. Goblins like flaming oni, king gobtruffle, nobend brothers, princess fizzbang, stringfillder and toadsqueezer are frequently used in goblin teams, as is the hero weapon norbert's turnip. Have the hero be either an elementalist (to freeze the other team) or a thief (for extra goblin points)

- beetrix loop: This revolves around the delve troop queen beetrix. Several options exist for augmenting beetrix: forest troll, the hero weapon emerald tears in combo with the mythic unit mistralis, axelotl can also be used, the hero weapons obsidian libram or mountain crusher with hero classes sentinal (if in first position) or elementalist are useful.

- the more expensive one needs Zuul'goth and then units like thrall and arachnaean, usually the hero weapon life&death joins such a team as well

- skull loop: divine ishbaala, moon rabbit, qilin and the hero weapon rope dart (sequence is usuall ishbaala, hero, qilin and rabbit)

Not exactly looping, but a dwarf team can work in some all purpose range as well: hero/slayer/black manacles, apothecary, lady ironbeard, king highforge (I happen to use this as my pet event team, in all pet event types).

The same can be said for a tesla based team, which is my go to for the dungeon, vault and adventure board: quick and easy, most of the times.

Also, if you're below player level 750, don't bother with any of this at all and try to get a soul team and use it as much as possible, in every mode and type of fight, to get more souls.

A soul team has three units with the trait 'necromancy' (you can use the search option in the troop menu) and one unit with a spell which (among other effects) generates souls (sort by spell effect: generate souls).

Edited by de_digibeet
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, de_digibeet said:

Also, if you're below player level 750, don't bother with any of this at all and try to get a soul team and use it as much as possible, in every mode and type of fight, to get more souls.

A soul team has three units with the trait 'necromancy' (you can use the search option in the troop menu) and one unit with a spell which (among other effects) generates souls (sort by spell effect: generate souls).

Hey, so I am currently player level 199 so this may actually help me out. 
My main issue for the moment is that I can't really do anything like pet rescues/delves and so on, yet I've done all the main quest lines and underworld quest lines. So it feels like progression has just halted and I can only really play PVP, low level adventure boards, explore and low level dungeons. 
Can I ask to what effect a soul generating team will have? How necessary is generating souls? Would a necromancy team allow me to take on some of the content, I'm underpowered for?
I know these are pretty basic questions. I'm just not fully in tune with the games intricacies and never have been really xD

No such thing as 'basic questions', only sincere curiosity. Which has every right at a proper answer :).

So, here's a few pointers on how to get stronger.

Player level: this is mostly useless, it's a measure of how much you've played but doesn't give you any stat upgrades on its own. It does give mastery points and weapons, but doesn't make your troops stronger.

Getting stronger individual troops: there are two ways, one is to give that one particular troop or hero class traits with trait stones and to boost its level with souls. This will only give your troop so much. The real way to make troops stronger is to get passive bonuses which apply to every troop, these come from increasing the kingdom level and power level of each kingdom. Buying a kingdom up to level 10 with gold gives one stat point to all your units, if you can get to to level 15 with gold + deeds, that's another stat point to all your units. If you have enough troops of that particular kingdom at level 20 and fully traited to reach power level 5 (this is stars), that's another stat point, the same goes for power level 10 and 20. Each kingdom either gives, magic, attack, armor or health. My advice is to prioritize them in this sequence: magic, attack, health, armor. To upgrade troops you need trait stones and souls. Massive amount of souls. That's where the souls come in. Getting any kingdom to power level 5 and 10 helps a lot. Long standing players like me have most kingdoms at power level 20+ and kingdom level 15-17 which in my case adds +58 health, +57 armor, +33 attack and +22 magic, from these passive bonuses. For this reason I made it guild policy in my guild, that players should spend their gold first on kingdom levels before spending it on weekly guild tasks.

Teams getting stronger: having a team with units from the same kingdom and/or the same race gives a slight bonus to the stats of the troops while within such a team. These team stats get increased by pets and leveling up these pets. This costs yet again massive resources and pretty much requires you to play the game for 2-3 years while in a guild which announces pet events in a guild-chat outside the game so you'll know when to log in, since pet events only last an hour. At your level you don't have the pet food to level them up, or the gems to buy a pet straight to max ascension level to feed it up to level 20 if you do have the pet food.

Bonus stats from doing delves: forget it ;). Not at your level. Every 4000 renown you get one passive stat upgrade to all your units, true. But the enemy get strong in delves, up to level 500, which means about 500 health, 500 armor, 250 attack and 125 magic. You're free to gulp at that ;). To beat that, it needs special kinds of units which scale to enemy level with regards to their damage output: faunessa, yao guai, tesla and the hero weapon yamine's pride. Or (near) guaranteed loops like chalcedony, beetrix or gobtruffle. It also needs top tier skull damage defenders, the mythic dwarf stonehammer is preferred. Most delves also need a unit which can cleanse your units and/or help out with mana generation: a unit like divinia for example. A more interesting option for tackling delves is having the mythic units kurandara and high king irongut: this way you can simply eat up every enemy team, if you live long enough (doesn't work in pvp as pvp defense teams are mostly build for looping)

At your level, playing every delve faction and trying to clear up to level 50 will be quite enough for now, next keep playing delves at level 50, gaining delve resources, and slowly, very slowly build up your hoard levels for each delve faction to level 100. As this costs about 3-4 million gold per faction, that'll take a while. Eventually units like draakulis, tesla, euryalia and the scourge of honor make delve farming go by pretty fast. These units do true damage to all. But these need quite a massive magic upgrade (armor in the case of tesla), so build up those kingdom levels and power levels :).

Medals: in my personal opinion the best two medals are seasons and nysha. You get seasons from the weekly guild event, tokens/badges/medals bought there with gems and gained from guild progress get turned into seasons at the start of next week. Having a medal setup of three medals of seasons does stack, so that's +12 attack, armor and health to all your troops while having that  medal setup. Nysha medals are mythic rarity and come from playing explore. You'll get enough of them eventually to make medals from them. One medal gives +4 magic, having three of them helps with teams which use magic.

To take on stuff you're under powered for: looping is your best bet. But upgrading you kingdoms helps out quite a bit. Let's take my chalcedony and compare it with yours: mine does 55 spell damage at the moment in my construct team, 42 base magic damage (no event magic bonus, maxed out pets, 3 medals of nysha, delves nearly maxed out, all kingdom power levels maxed out depending on how many units exist for it, all kingdom levels at 15-17). Yours will probably do half at most, if you have it. So that'll make a difference in the speed and ability with which to tackle stuff beyond your level. And sure, I've had my chalcedony's magic taken a beating once, went down to four .. and I still won that explore match since the loop kept going. But doing 4 damage instead of 55 damage at a time was really slow ;).

What to do next:

So, you finished all quest lines everywhere and can't take on the next big thing. Here's some suggestions at your next projects, in order of priority:

- get a celestial armor for 500 gems and wear it while using a soul team (no need to have the hero in your team for the effects to be in place), next buy the dragon armor (also 500 gems) for whenever you're not using a soul team

- check every kingdom to see their kingdom level and use gold to get every kingdom up to level 10. Then check your inventory on deeds, if you have enough to get any one kingdom to level 15, start with the kingdoms which give magic: open a kingdom menu, go to level and there it will state which stat is upgraded at level 10 and 15.

- build a strong soul team, for example: kerberos, sol'zara, acolyte and another sol'zara or any other unit with necromancy like warlock or sacrifial priest (the priest takes some getting used to on how to use it). The mythic unit pharos-ra is nice to have in your soul team when you can craft it in the forge: replace one sol'zara

- use the soul team to do all the challenges in each kingdom, as high as you can, and come back later when you're stronger and finish these, with a soul team if possible

- do the dungeon every day, save up on those diamonds (also buy them in the dungeon shop on sunday, if you can afford it) and when you have 4000 of those, check the forge to see if the mythic of your choice is there and craft it. Mythics to aim at in the beginning: stonehammer (for delves) and pharos-ra (for your soul team). And any mythic necessary for kingdom power level 10, as this needs you to own one mythic troop of that kingdom.

- check every kingdom with regards to power level, if any is below 5, check what you need there and go for it (magic and attack kingdoms first, as usual). And take it from there which kingdom you'll be leveling up to power level 10. Again do one Kingdom at a time, in the same sequence as with power level 5. Don't hoard resources, spend them. That's how you get stronger.

- delve: try to get every delve faction to level 50-60 and when you have the gold, upgrade them to hoard level 100, one at a time. Also grab all the delve units during this project, which you'll get when using your chaos shards to get treasure units which you need to upgrade all delve faction.

- every week go to the shop and buy the new glory unit, use all the glory you have to buy it at least to mythic, the real point here however is that this also gives a lot of arcane trait stones

Clearing daily stuff:

- adventure boards and dungeon: a looping team, though do the lower level fights with a soul team to get 200-400 souls from easy fights.

- pet event: there are a couple of ways to get around pet events: a devour based team (some troops are immune), a team with 3-4 gob-chompers against the goblins, a true damage team and looping teams.

Edited by de_digibeet
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, distressedjazz said:

You're a goddamn legend for this post xD
I guess I better get started on levelling up my kingdoms 

Have fun :).

A final note even though this should keep you busy for quite a while (say up to player level 750-1000, though preferably until almost every kingdom is at power level 20 (stars) and kingdom level 15 (deeds)).

If you're itching to get the delve faction trophy for getting max renown from one faction: upgrade all the magic kingdoms first to kingdom level 15 and power level 10. And make sure to check and try the tueseday's delve events, especially check the shop in this event to see if you have/can afford the weapon. Each faction has a weapon, and two of them are very powerful: yasmine's pride (very usefull in doing delves from level 200 and higher) and life&death (useful pretty much everywhere).

Afterwards, when you have units like stonehammer, yao guai, faunessa and dinivia leveled up and traited, and you have the weapon yasmine's pride. You can try your luck in the following delve factions: the deep hive, emperinazaar, tinker town and ilithia. These factions can be cleared by lower level players (which means not every kingdom is at power level 20, player level is mostly a useless stat anyway), and at hoard level 100 while using a team only consisting of units which belong to that specific faction. Deep hive can be done due to the beetrix loop mechanic, ilithia can be done because the units steal magic from each other: drain your enemy and they can only hurt you with skulls, tinkertown and emprinazaar have insane healing and summoning units which becomes a battle of will to keep on going and win the final battle even though it can last over an hour. You can use all the magic upgrades from your kingdoms when trying this. But it's possible at least.

• Like 3