Easy game?

Titanomachy_75

• 1 year later...

A little late to the party, but if anyone comes to this thread wondering if it is easy, i've got some advice for new players.  First of all, play on easy.  I played on Normal, and got through 90% of the game without dying.  Then the last 2 bosses, (who are minutes apart) stonewalled me for longer than the rest of the game combined.  The final boss in particular, is a rampant difficulty spike up, and that's after being legit max leveled as i could be (save one item, which will be mentioned below).

Secondly, I highly recommend everyone be thorough in searching for the Power Cores (which are used to unlock gear things) and make it a priority to unlock all the module slots.  The trophy requirements are not difficult, you only need to find 20.  From a little searching, there's apparently 28 (though I have no proof to back that up).  Regardless, I missed some, and as a result, I was 1 power core from unlocking the last stage, which gives TWO module slots.  And those 2 module slots give huge amounts of stats.  While it might not matter on Easy difficulty, on Normal I would've killed for those extra stats.  I can't stress enough how much of a difficulty spike the final boss is.

Considering you do have to beat the game for the platinum, I really do recommend playing on Easy.  Don't be like me, who suffered hours of aggravation just because I wanted to soothe my ego and not play on the easiest difficulty.  

P.S. supposedly the power cores are farmable in the last dungeon.  I farmed for at least 2-3 hours, basically one-shotting all the enemies there, and didn't get a single drop.  Though i've seen a screenshot of it dropped, I can't confirm that.

• 1 month later...
On 28/10/2022 at 10:59 AM, Gottesurteil said:

A little late to the party, but if anyone comes to this thread wondering if it is easy, i've got some advice for new players.  First of all, play on easy.  I played on Normal, and got through 90% of the game without dying.  Then the last 2 bosses, (who are minutes apart) stonewalled me for longer than the rest of the game combined.  The final boss in particular, is a rampant difficulty spike up, and that's after being legit max leveled as i could be (save one item, which will be mentioned below).

Secondly, I highly recommend everyone be thorough in searching for the Power Cores (which are used to unlock gear things) and make it a priority to unlock all the module slots.  The trophy requirements are not difficult, you only need to find 20.  From a little searching, there's apparently 28 (though I have no proof to back that up).  Regardless, I missed some, and as a result, I was 1 power core from unlocking the last stage, which gives TWO module slots.  And those 2 module slots give huge amounts of stats.  While it might not matter on Easy difficulty, on Normal I would've killed for those extra stats.  I can't stress enough how much of a difficulty spike the final boss is.

Considering you do have to beat the game for the platinum, I really do recommend playing on Easy.  Don't be like me, who suffered hours of aggravation just because I wanted to soothe my ego and not play on the easiest difficulty.  

P.S. supposedly the power cores are farmable in the last dungeon.  I farmed for at least 2-3 hours, basically one-shotting all the enemies there, and didn't get a single drop.  Though i've seen a screenshot of it dropped, I can't confirm that.

How long does the game last? It feels like it's around 10 hours from what I've played so far. 

And do you have recommendations on which blade is better to upgrade? I'm currently focusing on katana and lightning since it's pretty much all I use

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 9:10 AM, ThaRaven403 said:

How long does the game last? It feels like it's around 10 hours from what I've played so far. 

And do you have recommendations on which blade is better to upgrade? I'm currently focusing on katana and lightning since it's pretty much all I use

So yeah, not going to lie, I had every weapon fully upgraded, though in the single player I didn't end up using most of them.  Charge claymore and claymore are both worth upgrading, as is the katana.  I tried out the gunblade and didn't use it a single moment after that.  Lightning blade was ... honestly it felt good, but was really overly gimmicky.  I didn't really use it that much.  But yeah, the last dungeon is extremely farmable and so you can patch holes and bring up other blades if you want to, but yeah, katana + either claymore (countering is OP, plus bonus to mech enemies) + random blade of your choice.

Note that these 'ratings' are for the single player only.  (you probably have already beaten it by now, a week after your post).  The DLC is an entirely different ballgame.  

As for my game length... i'd say maybe 10-15 hours on normal?  My sense of time was really busted because, as mentioned, the two final bosses, the final one in particular, stonewalled me for longer than the rest of the game combined.  On easy I bet it'd be 7 hours or so?

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2022 at 10:59 PM, Gottesurteil said:

I really do recommend playing on Easy.  Don't be like me, who suffered hours of aggravation just because I wanted to soothe my ego and not play on the easiest difficulty. 

Thanks for the advice. The game is on sale right now in the PS Store, so I'm thinking about grabbing it. I take it it's not possible to lower the difficulty once you started the game? Or were you just that stubborn? ?

45 minutes ago, whassupbun said:

Thanks for the advice. The game is on sale right now in the PS Store, so I'm thinking about grabbing it. I take it it's not possible to lower the difficulty once you started the game? Or were you just that stubborn? 1f602.png

You can change the difficulty whenever you want in the settings. You're not locked into it like a lot of other action games.

I wouldn't sweat the difficulty or anything too much though anyway. Seeing as you're playing through Wo Long right now I'd say in terms of moveset complexity Lu Bu is easily on par with the hardest bosses in Ultra Age (and his AI is probably more aggressive) so if you could beat him I doubt you'd struggle too much with anything in Ultra Age - even on hard mode.

Even though the bosses can be a decent challenge (especially the last 2) there is one fatal flaw in their design (probably due to budget/time since this is an indie game) in that they don't really mix up their attack patterns; so you're not really dealing with fake outs or anything similar where the intent is to throw you off. Like one boss in particular about halfway through the game quite literally has a fixed rotation for all of her attacks that she can not deviate from, kinda hilarious. Point being once you pick up on the attack patterns the boss battles become very routine with not much variance so it's more about memorization instead of a mix of memorization + adaptability.

I mentioned it in the topic about DLC but my main advice for playing the game is just learn to take advantage of all the iframes the game gives you. The main gimmick of the combat is that you break your blades and have to replace them (so you carry like 15-20 of each blade, it's kinda like ammo I guess.) But when they're close to breaking you can use a really strong super attack, and all of those attacks give complete invulnerability. So if an enemy has a certain attack you don't like dealing with you can just totally ignore it whilst also still doing damage to them. Seeing as you have 4 weapons equipped at a time you can always have one or two ready to break on command.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ZenaxPure said:

You can change the difficulty whenever you want in the settings. You're not locked into it like a lot of other action games.

I wouldn't sweat the difficulty or anything too much though anyway. Seeing as you're playing through Wo Long right now I'd say in terms of moveset complexity Lu Bu is easily on par with the hardest bosses in Ultra Age (and his AI is probably more aggressive) so if you could beat him I doubt you'd struggle too much with anything in Ultra Age - even on hard mode.

Thanks for the insight. Yeah Lu Bu wasn't too bad after an hour of retries ? and everything after him has been a breeze.

I watched some of the gameplay videos of this game in the PS Store, it's not looking so hot. I was attracted to this game by the low price and easy plat, but I'm not so sure now. Would you recommend it?

I ended up buying Sherlock Holmes Chapter One and Disco Elysium in the sales instead.

11 hours ago, whassupbun said:

I watched some of the gameplay videos of this game in the PS Store, it's not looking so hot. I was attracted to this game by the low price and easy plat, but I'm not so sure now. Would you recommend it?

I think Ultra Age is great myself, but it's a low budget indie game (made by like 11 people iirc) focused entirely on its combat. I'd mainly recommend it to people who really enjoy these kind of stylish action games in the vein of DMC, Bayonetta, etc. Because there isn't really much too the game other than its combat. The story is very basic and only exists to put you into scenarios where you're fighting dudes, the RPG elements are just tacked on and pointless, and it's a very linear game without much exploration. It's a vehicle for the combat encounters, which, are quite a lot of fun. I played the whole game on hard mode and I was very impressed with the enemy design and player moveset. It's mechanically very simple compared to the giants of its sub-genre - but it's well executed which is what counts the most. I liked it enough to import a physical copy for my collection (this was before Europe and North America had a physical version, was Asia only for a long time.)

If you just want an easy plat then yeah it's fine for that too, not gonna take you very long. My hard mode playthrough was only around 10 or 11 hours, on easy you could legit probably plat the whole thing in like 5 or 6.

• Like 1