Level 27-29 Solo Coop on Nightmare (1.08)

J_E_B_B

7 hours ago, Darken115 said:

Hi everyone,

I've been scouring the web for months now trying to find a way to beat NM Coop and I've not had any luck yet. The strat basically right now is just try until you get it, your sanity be damned.

Just wanted to let you all know that I joined the DOOM discord a long time ago and I sent the DOOM Community Manager a message about this issue (1.08). He acknowledged it but I haven't heard any updates about it. Maybe you people can get something out of the discord, not many people have this trophy, which is a shame cause it's a very good port of DOOM II. 

I think the solution to this should be getting Bethesda/Id Software to change back or adjust the difficulty on Co-Op to make the trophy achievable. My idea would be turning off Respawning Demons on Co-Op exclusively, but that's just what I'd do. 

I'm glad I found this thread, not many people seem to care about this and it's nice to see others wrecking their brains trying to get this Plat.

Good luck everyone

No hate to your post or anything man, but this trophy isn’t suppose to be easy or even just challenging.

Its meant to be very difficult and mostly just for the vets who grew up playing Doom 2, like the speed runners.

Im btw not a og Doom player(only 28)but even with me not being all that at video games and only beating doom 2 once back on 360. 
I can say it is possible, but only if your willing to Throw yourself at the wall till it breaks. 
Some levels require a particular strategy, but most you can brute force.

Level 29 is just brutal tho, no way around it, you have to get good for that one.

With that said I do think Id software should do is at least update Doom 1/2 with online coop.

That way you could team up for nightmare and tbh, the game should have this feature anyways(along with Online DM)

• Like 2

On 2022-01-11 at 2:51 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Really appreciate the videos here. Maybe I'll try my luck again on the later levels.

Go get em' AJ! As i stated in my post above. That tactic with leading those Cacos away from the action at the last bit was a really big help and I can't praise it enough.

Best of luck!

• 2 months later...

Did another run of 29 after a friend ask me for a good strat for Level 29.

Its a decent run(some bad aim/movement here and there) but overall not having to grab the rocket/Plasma Gun on 28 every attempt on 29 makes this sorta nice.

Anyways best of luck to anyone doing Doom 2 on update 1.08, it’s a brutal one.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

Me and my brother did all the levels apart from 29 split screen on Nightmare back in 2019, we got right near the end of 29 and the game crashed after 100s of deaths each, apparently nightmare is even harder now after a patch. My brother now lives 350 miles away so we arnt playing split screen anytime soon.

I know share play can be used to do it 2 player but what about 3 or 4 player? if possible I cant imagine it will be too difficult for 3 people to do this on share play, although it will most likely need to be done 3 times? Can anyone confirm this?

I got the trophy a few hours ago solo I used the level 28 and 29 method shown above but modified it to make more use of the 2nd controller on level 29, this means you get less attempts per hour as it takes longer however it makes it easier and more consistent to make it to the final two stages of level 29 after the teleporter with the Baron of Hell with 200% health and armour.

I will include a video of my run, I had to mute the audio as my dam 2nd controller was a PS5 controller and it picked up audio from my room lol.

https://youtu.be/q_bcJoJkO3E

I recommend playing level 28 then leaving your main guy with all the good stuff up top and use your second controller to fight your way to the platform with the switch and 6 cacodemons and pressing that switch while leaving the blue health in the centre, then lure the cacodemons over to the right of where you spawn and kill most of the demons lurking around the ledges near spawn, then make the run with your main account it should be a lot easier now, the bridge will already be fully raised to the three rooms and no cacodemons (maybe one or two appear at some point) again leave the blue health and you also must leave the blue armour, do the two rooms connected to the bridge as in the other videos then grab the two blue powerups, if done correctly it should be quite easy to get to the teleporter room with the Barron of Hell with 200% Health and Armour or very close to it anyway.

Let the door close and pull out your BFG but do not go through the teleporter yet, now lure the Cacodemons over to the left of spawn (not the right as seen in the other videos this gives them more time to get to you once you take the teleporter) with your 2nd controller again killing the demons near spawn, be careful the Baron of Hell can open the teleporter room door and damage you this does not happen too often though but he will most likely end up coming through the teleporter after you and ruining the run if this happens, so try to use your 2nd account quickly here.

My run was not great tbh I finished on 1 Health because I messed up the last bit running up the stairs slowly and forgot to use the BFG as I was nervous haha but still it shows this method works and even without a perfect run you can finish the level. Also hitting the switch with the 6 Cacodemons on the 1st attempt makes this a lot quicker and easier I failed to do this on this attempt. If you die on the platform the 1st time without getting the switch but release the Cacodemons you can lure them to the right of spawn and make a run on your 2nd account and still get the switch. Finally I only had around 150% Health after the blue sphere because I grabbed the med kit before the blue sphere too early with almost full health, try to leave that until just before you sprint for the blue sphere.

I think this is the best method so far to get level 29 done on nightmare solo split screen once I thought of trying this I got it done within 45 minutes, especially if you do the following things below as well as follow the video, good luck and let me know if this video and method helped you guys.

4:10 To see what I do after pressing the switch on my 2nd controller.

5:50 with the old method I found I get shot in the back by a Cacodemon way too often here, this should not happen with this method.

7:00 Pull out the Plasma Gun here instead, blast the Hell Knight and and Cacodemons then grab the med kit then run for the Blue Sphere.

7:30 To see what I do when getting to the teleporter with the Baron of Hell.

9:05 Always shoot here even if you see no enemies, if they are right under you they will block you and you will fall in lava ending the run.

9:53 If either revenant respawns whilst you are dealing with these 2 Barons of Hell he will very likely kill you this part is just RNG as you will not be able to turn around to check.

10:00 Pull out your BFG and keep firing here, I forgot and it almost cost me. I also could of navigated the stairs a lot quicker too.

Edited by cuckie
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks to everyone for posting videos and special thanks to Cuckie for the advice of pulling away the Cacodemons.

I took that one step further and implemented a strategy of running towards the hallway with the Baron of Hell and hugging the right wall just before the raised block. Being swift is key obviously and it's a relative safe spot, although it's important to immediately switch to the second player and run across the area and pull any Cacodemons away and back towards the starting area. You can indeed kill any that does happen to reach you, but try and pull them away as if killed you'll have to wait for them to respawn before proceeding.

Repeating this step after each and every room and switch pressed in order to access the final portal, allows you to maintain both health and armour as much as possible, thus giving you a very good chance of getting both upgrades without taking unnecessary hits.

Yes, it's much more time consuming however this worked much better for me than trying what above users pulled off.

Another thing that I decided to change was that in the final area, while naturally opening up with a BFG shot as you enter the portal, I then proceeded to immediately equip the plasma rifle and simultaneously sprint towards the left path.

As you head back, kill off anything with the plasma rifle still equipped and then take out the Mancubus with the BFG. I decided to time the lift with another BFG shot to kill the Hell Knight above and then you want to re-equip the plasma rifle and take down the Revenant in the middle lane with a steady stream of fire.

Make it back to the starting area and clear out anything and wait until the Revenants respawn once more. After taking them out, switch to the BFG and take out the two Barons of Hell.

What you might not understand by watching a video is how important it is to keep your cool while attacking them without either falling off or taking one or several hits, each lessening the probability to pass the gauntlet afterwards. Slowly inch you way forward as you keep firing and the first should die quickly enough, while the second might take one or two more shots.

I didn't really appreciate the idea of doing all the work up to this point just to let chance decide the outcome, so I practiced that bit especially in the 1-player mode. Practicing in general is highly recommended as pointed above in prior posts, as that will give you much needed experience of the level and save a lot of time.

Doing Spirit World prior is also more than enough. You'll be entering with full ammunition supplies except for around 35 rockets, which should be more than enough.

Good luck!

• Like 1