Need help with this "Racing" Controls

TurtlePM

I know this game is very old and a lot of people might not even remember, but I really would like to know how to play this shit (Yes, there's not another adjective to this game for me).

Every time I take a turn, the car starts drifting. It doesn't matter if it has a Drift Stat to the min or max, I screw every single turn and I'm overtaken all the time. Usually, you press L2 to start drifting. Here, if it's a soft turn and I turn smoothly, it starts to drift; if I brake, I'm overtaken; if I drift for too long, I loose speed... What's the best method?  Or the suggested cars to play. 

• Like 1

Good evening @TurtlePM. Each car has a different handling. Depending on the type of vehicle, they will be more or less difficult to control. You will need to practice to find the comfort you are looking for.

I recommend that, instead of braking, you simply release the accelerator for half a second and try to move the direction of the vehicle very smoothly, if you do not want it to skid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desavenencia said:

Good evening @TurtlePM. Each car has a different handling. Depending on the type of vehicle, they will be more or less difficult to control. You will need to practice to find the comfort you are looking for.

I recommend that, instead of braking, you simply release the accelerator for half a second and try to move the direction of the vehicle very smoothly, if you do not want it to skid.

I noticed some differences between cars, sure, the thing is that I can't control the car correctly while I'm turning.

I just did the fifth round event with the Concept, trying every type of turning (releasing R2, holding L2, tapping L2, slightly tapping L2 when starting to turn) and the time was BASICALLY the same. The goal was 1:29, I always finished under 1:30 and just won with 1:28:88.

I've played a load of racing games, none of them made me furious like this one. Even BLUR which is a masterpiece compared to this and it's quite hard :/

My point is, trying different tactics usually gives me an ideia of what I'm doing wrong while driving, but this one simply feels random because the time is always the same when I exit the turn :/ 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Drifting is a crucial mechanic for the races to build your power meter but if you want to maintain the most speed (especially for the time trials), you don't want to drift at all if you can help it so the game forces you to master both styles. 

The key to not drifting is not just the car you choose with different drift stats but also how you drive. Tapping the brake at all and applying any kind of turn will cause most cars in this game to immediately kick out and drift. Don't use the brake if you can help it unless it's a really sharp turn and only then, just tap it. If you're concerned about maintaining speed, you want the car to remain straight as much as possible. This means taking wide arcs in the turns, letting off the gas early, let the car coast into the turn with no brake applied, hitting the apex and then get a straight shot off. Almost like you're playing a racing simulator as this is how real racing is and that's how you have to approach it, especially during the time trials

One of the main things I noticed and it's not really talked about with this game is the steering is kinda broken. Any time you have max steering applied either all the way to the right or all the way to left to turn, this slows the car down significantly. This is why the AI always shoots by you in the turns. What you want to do instead is again, take wide arcs through the turns and just tap the toggle stick through the turn. The Expressway Detonator event is literally impossible if you don't use this tactic and it took me many runs of being 2-3 seconds off the 1st place time after about 30 attempts to finally figure it out. Used this technique after seeing it suggested on another forum and then shattered the 1st place time by 3 seconds 1st attempt. 

Even if you master these things, the game is still quite a bit dependent on luck during the races as there's so many things that can happen that are almost completely unavoidable and will ruin your race instantly. You're not going to breeze through every race and win first try like so many other games are and I think that's where people are getting frustrated with it. It's all about patience and trying again and it makes it all the more satisfying once you do win. If you're going for platinum, you're going to need to grind a bit anyway so all those extra retries just help you get there. 

• Like 3