Final Impressions? (Only For Those Who Beat It SPOILERS!)

WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL DISCUSS THE GAME IN IT'S ENTIRETY, INCLUDING THE ENDING. IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME YET AND DON'T WANT ANYTHING RUINED, STOP READING NOW!!

The game is still new, I want to provide apt amount of warning.

Okay, hopefully anyone playing through the game (or that intend to) have been scared off. I'm not going to use spoiler tags, if you keep reading after all the warnings, it's your own damn fault.

I just beat Uncharted 3 on Hard and I have to say... a little disappointed. The story started off really strong but then seriously petered off as it went on. Chloe and Elena were so minor in this game, and then boom, there's Elena at the end trying to wrap things up like they did in Uncharted 2 where she actually did something significant. New characters like Cutter (I think he was new anyways?) were there for a little bit and then boom, gone. Did they ever explain why Elena was so agasp when they mentioned they teamed up with Cutter? On that note, who the heck is Cutter? What was his profession before all of this? I don't think they ever explained why the old bitch said that Drake wasn't Nate's real name? Or should I assume she was messing with him?

Character-wise, it seemed all over the place which dampened the personal tone they set between Drake and Sully. Too many characters in too many scenarios to be explained in the 8-10 hour campaign. Lots of questions blatantly unanswered. I guess I was expecting a book but instead I got a chapter.

The final boss was the weakest of the series (though I guess it should be expected for an old lady and her sweatervest wearing man-slave). The difficulty as a whole amounted to a few annoying moments that will probably turn into downright frustrating on Crushing... but still. The grenade toss back is a fun feature, but let's face it, grenades were one of the most difficult aspects of the other games because a well placed one forced you out of precious cover. Now not only is that mostly gone, but you get a free grenade to toss at your enemies. And there were times where you had three NPC's alongside helping you? That seems a bit much, eh?

I don't regret buying the game for a second, if anything playing it for the last few days have added years to my life because most of my other games have me bashing my head into the wall. I'll have some fun going after the platinum and the multiplayer will certainly keep me entertained as well. I'm on board with any future Uncharted games. ;)

Anyways your thoughts? Maybe I missed a few key moments because I went to piss at the wrong time or something... :P

Exactly what i was thinking, it felt like this game had nothing to do with those prior to it.

What really bugged me though was that it really felt like they stumbled upon the atlantis of the sands. Nate crashed in a plane, got rescued by a couple of arabs, they attacked a convoy, they lost eachother in a sandstorm and all of a sudden, boom, there it was, right in front of them. Was I the only one who found this really weird and annoying?

My first play through was on hard difficulty too. I'm more disappointed about the games difficulty than the story. I found hard to be somewhat easy with only a few rough spots. I'm on ch. 16 on crushing now and only had two frustrating fights. Maybe its because I've already played the other two that makes this one come easy for me...Idk. Don't get me wrong, I still really liked the game. I just get more of a sense of accomplishment when there's a harder challenge and I don't want to think that ND would dumb it down for one reason or another.

I found the story to be pretty good. I could've done without the interactive cutscenes or at least not made them as long, but thats just me. I think the holes in the story were made in order to provide anticipation for UC4. I really wish they would've cleared up that whole real name stuff up. One thing I did miss was the mythical creatures or monsters from the other two games. I know there were Djinns in this game, but they were hallucinations brought on by the drugs and their part was really small. I guess what I'm saying is that I liked that fantastically over the top parts from the first two games and just missed it a little bit.

As for the characters, Sully is my favorite character besides Nate, so it didn't bother me too much that Chloe and Elena had small parts this time around. However, the arrival of Cutter as a new character should have warranted a little more story time, imo.

All in all, I still really like the game and will continue to buy as many Uncharteds as ND is willing to make.

• 3 weeks later...

Before I start, I loved U1 & U2...

U3, Not so much... I just kind of felt it started out strong but ended up being about going from one large set piece to another without much content in between. Dont get me wrong, I loved the set pieces but whereas they were dotted through U2 sparingly, its almost like they threw every idea they had at U3.

Its by no means a bad game, but its below par for Uncharted in my opinion.

• 1 year later...