How does this compare to Velocity Ultra?

langdon

39 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

If you just finished the first one, you're all tuned up for the sequel. Don't be afraid, you can do it!

Ugh, perfecting Level 50 in Ultra felt like my limit.  I can play perfect for about a minute, but playing frame-perfect for longer than that feels like an insurmountable task. Trying to 100% as many existing Vita titles on my account as I can, but I've already admitted myself I just can't physically do some (Super Meat Boy, Pix the Cat, OlliOlli 1 & 2, Rogue Legacy, etc).

1 hour ago, quadboy_007 said:

Looking at the rarity I'd say 2x is definitely harder, but I also think it was indeed a lot harder for me. Still a really fun game that feels very rewarding when you finally get a perfect medal on a level you are stuck on!

I was really hoping the extreme rarity was due to PS Plus. :(

Edited by langdon

3 hours ago, langdon said:

Ugh, perfecting Level 50 in Ultra felt like my limit.  I can play perfect for about a minute, but playing frame-perfect for longer than that feels like an insurmountable task. Trying to 100% as many existing Vita titles on my account as I can, but I've already admitted myself I just can't physically do some (Super Meat Boy, Pix the Cat, OlliOlli 1 & 2, Rogue Legacy, etc).

I was really hoping the extreme rarity was due to PS Plus. :(

Yes the rarity percentage is really low partially because of psplus, but there are still less total platinum achievers in the second game than the first one. Even though there are way more players.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, langdon said:

Of those games you mentioned that you gave up on, I've only played the Olliolli ones. I also gave up but because the directional controls were not as good as they needed to be. Velocity 2X has perfect controls. But I will say that there are a few longer levels in 2X. I would say watch a walkthrough video, but that doesn't give you the sense of ramping up and learning the abilities, y'know? If you watched a level 50 video right now of Ultra, you'd probably think it was impossible, right? But you've already done it! 

Edited by yowzagabowza
  • Like 1

Just to add to the common held opinion already: 2x is harder. There are a few longer levels while switching between player and ship which are definitely a pain to master.
I had given up on the first game and went back to it for no reason whatsoever a couple of times, in the end I did end up completing that game. But damn, it was hard ...

The dual ship dlc for x2 is insane. I'm sure it can be mastered, but not so sure it can be mastered by everyone, or me for that matter. With no more vita games showing up in sales I've prioritised playing and finishing games I can actually do. And maybe when my queue is empty enough, I'll give these hard games another chance.

9 hours ago, de_digibeet said:

With no more vita games showing up in sales I've prioritised playing and finishing games I can actually do. And maybe when my queue is empty enough, I'll give these hard games another chance.

I'm on the same boat.  I've got 23 games on my "can accomplish" list and maybe 15 on my "not gonna happen" list.

I've got 15 levels perfected.  Will let ya know if I survive.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update because it's fun to talk about.  I'm playing a level or two/day (sometimes skipping days).

Levels 1 - 41 have been perfected so far.  I randomly tried 48, 49 and perfected them first or second try (very weird).

Most of these levels, as you said Kesrit (but in reverse), were a breeze.  Baptism by fire I guess.  Aside from the critical urgency levels (which are thankfully short), the par times are all pretty generous (I'm finishing some levels with 20-60 seconds to spare).  If your time is slow, you can just check a video or two for some tips on where to speed it up (like I just realized a few levels back that the circle attack kills a whole row of enemies).

I just need one run of 42 without dying (I finished it with a single death and 20 seconds to spare) and then the other two hard ones will be 47 (7 minutes long) and 50 (gotta go fast).

I switch to PSTV for critical urgency because I need the accuracy that the dualshock provides, but for the normal levels, having the right analog stick so close to the buttons is incredibly convenient.  I also realized early on that you can double-tap triangle to teleport, which makes the timing of teleporting much easier.

We'll see if I'm crying in a few days as I try the final, most difficult levels.  It's not at all an easy platinum, but I think I can do it.  Time will tell.

I'm probably not going to go for 100%.  Not really interested in spending $5 to suffer through harder levels.

:platinum:.

Answering my own question now: I don't think 2X is truly more difficult than Ultra.  If you're capable of doing one, you're capable of doing the other.  Level 2X 50 is probably harder than Ultra 50 at first, but once you prevent the second ship from tricking you (focus on the pink trail and blue rescue pods), I think it's easier than having to quick fire left/right like Ultra 50 requires.

Really on the fence about the DLC.  I watched some videos, all the levels look doable, but lots of warnings above. :)

Thanks for all the info/support, everyone!

Edited by langdon

I went to play some other games, but nothing on my list looked as fun as Velocity 2X was, so I bought the DLC and breezed through the Critical Urgency Pack DLC. I was feeling pretty good about myself, so I bought and uh... breezed through most of the Dual Core DLC.

I skipped over DC06 because it was the first level that felt impossible.  It's only 36 seconds, but I had trouble getting through the first 10.

DC08 probably took me an hour of constantly play until I got it, but I knew it was doable after running through it once.  Even DC10 feels easier than DC06, but I suppose time will tell.

• 4 months later...
On 12/20/2021 at 9:34 PM, langdon said:

It's all done.  DC06 must have been the hardest level, but everything before it prepared me perfectly well.  Wonderful game.

Lol that's where I stopped playing almost 3 yrs ago -- 6, 9 and 10 were my last remaining Perfect runs. Should've kept playing then because jumping straight into DC06 today was humbling to say the least. I'll have to go back and play some of the main game to reacquaint myself to the mechanics. 

• Like 1