Assassin's Creed V: What can we expect?

iFrUiTiG

Interesting fact: the list in the original post is taken from a file you hack out of a computer in one of the present day missions in Assassins Creed IV. Interesting to me at least, in that I just stumbled on it yesterday. In the same file, which is an email chain between Abstergo Entertainment execs, someone mentions that they should avoid setting simulations (i.e. developing games) in modern day eras which feature use of modern day vehicles (cars, tanks, helicopters). The excuse given is that it's difficult to maintain a good synchronization with the ancestor due to the way that person's mind would zone out during long periods of driving. So I don't think we'll see games set in World War II or Vietnam, Ubi Soft has plain as day told us as much in one of their very own games.

While I enjoy Assassins Creed IV very much with as much fun as I am having with the piracy elements, there's one issue: it's a great piracy game, but a terrible Assassins Creed game. The AC series' central gimmick is that you're a blade in the crowd, given a list of bad guys that need killing. Everything else is top dressing. An AC game works best when you have long periods where you can be a blade in the crowd killing people that need killing, with short bouts of other activities (hey, here's a mysterious ruin to go explore if you're not busy). Lately, the series has gotten away from that basic formula. In AC4 in particular, you got long bouts of "other activities" (piracy, diving, raiding, no stealth whatsoever), with the occasional short bout where you get to be a blade in the crowd. Assassins Creed and Assassins Creed II was where the series was the most pure to its central gimmick. Brotherhood tried to strike a balance between stealth and other activities, but fell short on the number of major assassinations and Revelations jumped the shark with the assassination during a free fall. Assassins Creed III really was where it started with throwing too much into the game that didn't involve you being a blade in the crowd, and now here we are with AC4. Solid game, but not a good Assassins Creed game.

• Like 1

Interesting fact: the list in the original post is taken from a file you hack out of a computer in one of the present day missions in Assassins Creed IV. Interesting to me at least, in that I just stumbled on it yesterday. In the same file, which is an email chain between Abstergo Entertainment execs, someone mentions that they should avoid setting simulations (i.e. developing games) in modern day eras which feature use of modern day vehicles (cars, tanks, helicopters). The excuse given is that it's difficult to maintain a good synchronization with the ancestor due to the way that person's mind would zone out during long periods of driving. So I don't think we'll see games set in World War II or Vietnam, Ubi Soft has plain as day told us as much in one of their very own games.

While I enjoy Assassins Creed IV very much with as much fun as I am having with the piracy elements, there's one issue: it's a great piracy game, but a terrible Assassins Creed game. The AC series' central gimmick is that you're a blade in the crowd, given a list of bad guys that need killing. Everything else is top dressing. An AC game works best when you have long periods where you can be a blade in the crowd killing people that need killing, with short bouts of other activities (hey, here's a mysterious ruin to go explore if you're not busy). Lately, the series has gotten away from that basic formula. In AC4 in particular, you got long bouts of "other activities" (piracy, diving, raiding, no stealth whatsoever), with the occasional short bout where you get to be a blade in the crowd. Assassins Creed and Assassins Creed II was where the series was the most pure to its central gimmick. Brotherhood tried to strike a balance between stealth and other activities, but fell short on the number of major assassinations and Revelations jumped the shark with the assassination during a free fall. Assassins Creed III really was where it started with throwing too much into the game that didn't involve you being a blade in the crowd, and now here we are with AC4. Solid game, but not a good Assassins Creed game.

Stealth was always an absolute abomination in AC games. The only game that actually somewhat required stealth was the very first game, ever since AC2 and how the games practically played themselves, becoming without any semblance of challenge. Also, anyone can be an assassin. A pirate, a peasant, majesty or a banker for all we care. The side quests are usually some kind of reflection on the time period and the like. AC:IV probably had the most fun assassination contracts and the most in quantity, and it had a good mix of all side missions. Heck, the game truly shines in it's open world structure and side content, because while the actual story is really solid, the gameplay in it leaves much to be desired due to it being 70% tailing. 

No sorry, those retarded assassination contracts in AC4 are in my opinion where the game is most broken. There's no incentive to be an actual assassin there. In 2, Brotherhood, and even Revelations, the mission ended in automatic desynchronization if you were detected more often than not. If forced you to be stealthy. In IV, you get extra money if you're not detected, otherwise you can just calmly walk in and chain a few pistol shots and a quick swordfight like it's freaking Devil May Cry. Sorry, you don't get the 500 extra reales for being stealthy, which oh by the way you can easily get from sinking a couple ships. A real Assassins Creed game should punish you for taking the confrontational route, not cause a minor inconvenience. Sorry, no. Blade in the crowd. That's Assassins Creed boiled down to the bare bones. AC4 is completely detached from that concept. 

• Like 1

Automatic desync did not happen. Even in AC2, the game you keep going on about, in the assassination contracts, 9/10 times it didn't. The confrontational route has been the preferred route since AC2. The games are easy, they're one button combat with bad AI, especially apparent since AC2 with the huge counter windows and the hidden blades becoming the hand of God, AC has been lacking in sense ever since. ACIV had unique and interesting contracts that gave you a sense of freedom and encouraged you to do them stealthily through things that matter, like a 1000 coins+. ACIV's economy was alot harder to make money in than the magic millionaire box so those did matter to me, I did go after them and do them stealthily. 

Your real Assassin's Creed game simply doesn't exist.

damon8r351

I'm not sure there is a game that completely punishes you for not being completely stealth focused.  The Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell series also come to mind.  Yes they reward the player for being stealthy, but they don't punish all of the other players that do not want to play the game in that manner.  I personally try and play these types of games in pure stealth, but that is just a personal preference, as I think it adds to the challenge.  

Oh and I played and beat ACII (on 360) and I don't recall those missions you are discussing.  There were a few tail missions that would desynchronize, but other than that, I don't remember many others.  

Automatic desync did not happen. Even in AC2, the game you keep going on about, in the assassination contracts, 9/10 times it didn't. The confrontational route has been the preferred route since AC2. The games are easy, they're one button combat with bad AI, especially apparent since AC2 with the huge counter windows and the hidden blades becoming the hand of God, AC has been lacking in sense ever since. ACIV had unique and interesting contracts that gave you a sense of freedom and encouraged you to do them stealthily through things that matter, like a 1000 coins+. ACIV's economy was alot harder to make money in than the magic millionaire box so those did matter to me, I did go after them and do them stealthily. 

Your real Assassin's Creed game simply doesn't exist.

Have you ever considered the fact that there exist differing opinions? You're bringing up a lot of things, like "the confrontational route has been the preferred route since AC2", as if it's the general preference for all AC players. What are you talking about and where is this "statistic" coming from? Not once have I went with confrontation over stealth in the AC games, if I could help it. Maybe you're just too lazy and unimaginative to do anything other than chain six pistol shots? As I said in my prior post, that feeling of being a member of the Assassin Brotherhood and overall conspiracy that was present in all games before AC4 is mostly gone. That is how I feel about AC4. 

I don't see AC4 in the same light as you, Damon doesn't, and neither do a lot other people. Get over it. 

• Like 1

Have you ever considered the fact that there exist differing opinions? You're bringing up a lot of things, like "the confrontational route has been the preferred route since AC2", as if it's the general preference for all AC players. What are you talking about and where is this "statistic" coming from? Not once have I went with confrontation over stealth in the AC games, if I could help it. Maybe you're just too lazy and unimaginative to do anything other than chain six pistol shots? As I said in my prior post, that feeling of being a member of the Assassin Brotherhood and overall conspiracy that was present in all games before AC4 is mostly gone. That is how I feel about AC4. 

I don't see AC4 in the same light as you, Damon doesn't, and neither do a lot other people. Get over it. 

If you're not willing to discuss your opinion then what's the point of posting on an internet forum? when you post something you should expect it to be discussed, challenged, debated, argued, you name it. I don't need to plaster ''in my opinion'' when it's obviously a very subjective matter, there are many blogs available if you just want to post something without replies. The games often push you into situations in which you have to just go all out, and the stealth system isn't developed or intricate enough to really support stealth like something out of Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell, it's an action game with stealth elements. Not a stealth game with action elements. For it to be more stealth based, the AI needs sharpening up so that combat is less of an option. Confronted by 10 guys? sure, you could probably take them out, but there is a good chance you won't make it out and running is the better option. Add a proper cover system and more contextual takedowns/assassinations like Splinter Cell, another Ubi owned series, and add a crouch button. Three simple additions that would go a long way with the series. Admittedly there is less conspiracy but that's more of a reflection of the time period. It always usually had to do with governmental plots and the like, in the lawless land of sea there was no government. It's more direct and it still indulged in assassin elements and the game questioned the Creed in an interesting way with the 3 ironies. The game didn't throw a convulated turn to just make Edward an Assassin right when he steps into Tulum, it builds it up through a series of small and big events that make the final break that much more satisfying. It's not one big traumatic event, which is what made AC4 stand out more plot wise. The assassin/Templar story was always there, and Edward did participate all along, just not necessarily as an Assassin just yet. 

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD

I think the following themes would be interesting for future Assassin's Creed sequels-

• Cavemen
  • Aliens
  • Mesopotamia (Though the Prince of Persia may have issue with this, and he is another successful Ubisoft license)
  • Vietnam
  • Wild West
  • Ubisoft (with all the other Ubisoft licensed characters playing a part)

I mean, why the hell not?

I think the following themes would be interesting for future Assassin's Creed sequels-

• Cavemen
  • Aliens
  • Mesopotamia (Though the Prince of Persia may have issue with this, and he is another successful Ubisoft license)
  • Vietnam
  • Wild West
  • Ubisoft (with all the other Ubisoft licensed characters playing a part)

I mean, why the hell not?

-Chronologically the Assassin Order didn't exist during the stone age.

-Aliens lack any historical basis which is a very alluring part of the series.

-Eh, not sure if there is any real interesting history in there.

-Vietnam is guns and gun heavy combat wouldn't work for the series.

-Wild West would be cool but it suffers from the above and would feel too much like RDR.

-A non canon thing? sure.

I hope its nothing like any title from AC3 to AC1. I hope its everything like Black Flag (the best entry IMO). Black Flag had less weird supernatural shit, it didn't take itself seriously and was just a fantastic gorgeous and immersive experience. Pirate game, whatever, it was the first entry that I genuinely loved instead of being okay.