My upload speed on PS5 is awful, compared to PC.

Quink666

I have 250/250 internet with a rocksolid connection. But now since latest system update (today) on PS5 i'm always offline when i boot up my PS5 and i have to "test" insternet to get online. My download is 240ishMB/s according to the test but my upload is only 5MB/s. No matter what i do i can't get it above that. I'm connected via LAN but i have tried my wifi but i get the same results.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Are you having specific issues with uploading something? Because it seems like the speeds actually adjust depending on what is being used. People have been able to use the hidden browser on PS5 to run speed tests and it shows their normal upload speed, while the network test to PSN is much much lower, but that makes sense since at most you are only uploading saves and trophy data. Streaming from PS5 to Twitch at 1080p60 wouldn't be possible at that base PSN cap either, so that's another place it adjusts. Upload speeds required for multiplayer games are actually quite low, if you are seeing issues online it's more about distance from servers or other problems, not upload speed

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaptHowdy_91 said:

Are you having specific issues with uploading something? Because it seems like the speeds actually adjust depending on what is being used. People have been able to use the hidden browser on PS5 to run speed tests and it shows their normal upload speed, while the network test to PSN is much much lower, but that makes sense since at most you are only uploading saves and trophy data. Streaming from PS5 to Twitch at 1080p60 wouldn't be possible at that base PSN cap either, so that's another place it adjusts. Upload speeds required for multiplayer games are actually quite low, if you are seeing issues online it's more about distance from servers or other problems, not upload speed

In the hidden browser i have 248MB/s both up and down. It's only when i use the PS5s test internet function that i have a ridicilously low upload speed. I rarely upload anything besides saves that are few MB at most.

I noticed this today for the first time since i am always offline when i boot up my PS5 since latest system software update. I'm forced to "test connection" to go online.

3 hours ago, THE ONE WHO KNOCKS said:

that's how PS5 works, I have 1000up/1000 down, on 5GHz on PS5 I get 300-400, maybe 450 on a good day download and 20-50 upload on a great day

That is increcibly stupid. Is that the reason why streaming games on PSNow sucks donkey balls?

I get 20 FPS while trying to stream Red Dead Redemption 1. It's totally unplayable. But games like the older God of War games streams just fine at a solid 30 frames.

1 hour ago, Quink666 said:

That is increcibly stupid. Is that the reason why streaming games on PSNow sucks donkey balls?

I get 20 FPS while trying to stream Red Dead Redemption 1. It's totally unplayable. But games like the older God of War games streams just fine at a solid 30 frames.

no, PSNow doesn't need that high upload, it works at ~5mb for 720p for the ps3 games and ~15mb for 1080p for ps4 games, the problem with PSNow is location, you have to live close to one of their servers for it to work as advertised, unfortunately, Sony doesn't have the global streaming server infrastructure like a tech giant like google, microsoft, amazon, apple, netflix etc.

PS5 is weird as Hell with internet. All my various Xbox models and even my PS4 Pro download games and patches way faster than it. In the time it took for my PS5 to download one PS2 game, my PS4 had downloaded three of them and was half way done on Shadow of the Colassus.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 6:22 PM, Quink666 said:

I have 250/250 internet with a rocksolid connection. But now since latest system update (today) on PS5 i'm always offline when i boot up my PS5 and i have to "test" insternet to get online. My download is 240ishMB/s according to the test but my upload is only 5MB/s. No matter what i do i can't get it above that. I'm connected via LAN but i have tried my wifi but i get the same results.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Go to speedtest via the PS5 (google how to access the browser if needed) and check the results there. You should get similar results to what you are getting on PC.

I guess the culprit is the server the 'test connection' option is using. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 6:42 PM, Arcesius said:

Go to speedtest via the PS5 (google how to access the browser if needed) and check the results there. You should get similar results to what you are getting on PC.

I guess the culprit is the server the 'test connection' option is using. 

I am pretty certain you are correct. To make things worse this is not just a cosmetic thing. While you can get great results using the browser (I get 900Mbps up and downstream going to Ookla) the PS5 firmware seems to use the built-in bandwidth check as base up/downstream metric. Eg. If the built-in bandwidth test is low it punishes your Share Play and Share Screen performance (which is quite amusing, because I am pretty sure that that is peer-to-peer traffic).

This network congestion on Sony' end does not occur on off-peak hours. Eg. at 7am my upstream will be somewhere between 150 and 250 Mbps, however when it starts getting past 4pm, it will drop down to as low as 5 Mbps. 

It's bad enough already they can't guarantee basic network performance, but for those paying between $60 and $130 a year extra for "premium" network services it is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

Edited by forkless

15 minutes ago, forkless said:

This network congestion on Sony' end does not occur on off-peak hours. Eg. at 7am my upstream will be somewhere between 150 and 250 Mbps, however when it starts getting past 4pm, it will drop down to as low as 5 Mbps. 

It's bad enough already they can't guarantee basic network performance, but for those paying between $60 and $130 a year extra for "premium" network services it is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow

The coincidence that your speeds are affected at your local peak and off-peak hours lends itself more toward your ISP being the culprit. While the console will do a network test briefly initially and use those results to determine if they’re fast enough for what you’re requesting, it’s likely your ISP bottlenecking and not giving you the service they’re selling you.

On 8.3.2022 at 11:48 PM, Quink666 said:

It was the same for me in those two games. Red Dead Redemption was a lame fuzzy broth and God of War 3 was clear and fast. So it always seems to be specific to the game.

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

The coincidence that your speeds are affected at your local peak and off-peak hours lends itself more toward your ISP being the culprit. While the console will do a network test briefly initially and use those results to determine if they’re fast enough for what you’re requesting, it’s likely your ISP bottlenecking and not giving you the service they’re selling you.

Maybe I wasn't quite clear in my post or you didn't read the first paragraph, but the console will yield 90-95% throughput (which is pretty much the limit for ethernet) of the 1Gbps up/downstream using Ookla via browser on said PS5. :)

ps. It was implied that this is at any time of the day. ergo there isn't any ISP bottlenecking or local network congestion going on.

2 minutes ago, forkless said:

Maybe I wasn't quite clear in my post or you didn't read the first paragraph, but the console will yield 90-95% throughput (which is pretty much the limit for ethernet) of the 1Gbps up/downstream using Ookla via browser on said PS5. :)

ps. It was implied that this is at any time of the day. ergo there isn't any ISP bottlenecking or local network congestion going on.

If you understand now network requests are made at the server level, you’ll see how ISPs can allow unrestricted web page access while still frequently bottlenecking other services that don’t use port 80. 

I am familiar with the various QOS techniques and concepts, traffic shaping included. Feel free to humor me with the following question though. Can you say with any degree of certainty that my ISP is in fact throttling any traffic and if so which or is that just speculation on your end? Because I can make a similar argument for Sony' backend infrastructure. It's also not uncommon for platforms such as PSN et al intermittently ending up in a threat mitigation networks with all sorts of negative side-effects for the client end-points.