Rumor: Nintendo Fusion

Lady Lilith

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/175135-as-the-wii-u-struggles-reports-and-specs-of-nintendos-next-gen-consoles-spread

Fusion-640x353.png

Nintendo is in dire straights. The Wii U sold poorly over the 2013 holiday season, and the Kyoto company is anticipating substantial losses going forward. Now, rumors are bubbling up that Nintendo is already working on its next console, and it sounds quite promising. With superior hardware and better handheld connectivity, this has the potential to turn the table once more in Nintendo’s favor

An enthusiast site by the name of Nintendo News recently reported a number of interesting tidbits, and it all sounds too good to be true. First off, the author proposes that “Fusion” could be the name of Nintendo’s next console. The evidence, a domain name purchased over a decade ago, seems like a stretch at best. The domain NintendoFusion.com does exist, and it seems as if Nintendo is actually the owner. However, Nintendo News points out itself that the domain likely exists because of the Fusion Tour that Nintendo held in the early aughts. While the name sounds relatively plausible, I wouldn’t bet any money on it. Even if it’s true, remember that the Nintendo Wii was codenamed “Revolution,” and the GameCube once went by “Dolphin.”

Sad-Wii-U-300x165.jpegThe proposed spec-sheets of the “Fusion DS” and “Fusion Terminal” are available in the post as well. The handheld supposedly sports an ARM Cortex-A53 CPU, an Adreno 420 GPU, 3GB of LPDDR3 RAM, and two 960×640 capacitive touchscreens. On the console side, the “Terminal” is reported to have a 2.2GHz 8-core PowerPC CPU, a custom Radeon-based GPU, 4GB of DDR4 RAM, 2GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 4K-compatible HDMI 2.0 output. Those definitely sound like compelling upgrades to the existing hardware, but Nintendo’s problems don’t lie solely with its underpowered hardware. If Nintendo wants hardware adoption, it’s going to need a flood of outstanding first-party titles that the Wii U just hasn’t offered.

With a name like Fusion, this rumor is pointing towards the potential of cross-compatibility between the console and handheld — following Sony’s lead. With cross-buy, cross-play, and remote play, Sony has been knocking it out of the park with the PlayStation Vita in the last few months. Since Nintendo has such a strong hold on the handheld market, it would be wise to follow suit here.

Even if this specific rumor turns out to be bogus, its clear that Nintendo has to do something. The company is hemorrhaging money, and the stock price just fell off of a cliff. It’s highly unlikely that Nintendo will abandon the hardware market in favor of PS4 andiPhone support, so the solution is clear: new hardware.

Nintendo needs to cut its losses with the Wii U, double down on 3DS development, and start anew in the console market in a few years. In the meantime, Nintendo needs to fire much of its leadership, and find a better way to leverage its entire back catalog. With Nintendo’s amazing software library, the Wii U and 3DS Virtual Consoles could be pure profit machines. Instead, Nintendo has squandered this opportunity by only releasing a handful of titles at a time. Frankly, Nintendo better shape up, or prepare for the impending shareholder revolt.

This could be...interesting.  At best, it could be the Nintendo console we've been waiting for for the past 7 years.  At worst, it reminds me of Sega and some of their rapid adoption of new hardware (SMS>Genesis, Sega CD>32X>Saturn, Saturn>Dreamcast)

Sounds pretty lame. The Wii U would have sold better if it was released at the same time the PS4 and One were released. They tried to pull off a Sega move and try to get a head start on the next-gen competition. I think the only thing that could save the Wii U would be different games instead of the same stuff that we've been playing for the past 15 years. They should expand their horizon and let other companies port or make games for them instead of having nothing but family friendly titles that were made by Nintendo themselves. The Wii U still only appeals to the casual gamer like the Wii did. There seem to be more casual gamers than hardcore gamers, but casual gamers aren't the kind of people that would spend a lot of money on consoles and games. 

• Like 1

Sounds pretty lame. The Wii U would have sold better if it was released at the same time the PS4 and One were released. They tried to pull off a Sega move and try to get a head start on the next-gen competition. I think the only thing that could save the Wii U would be different games instead of the same stuff that we've been playing for the past 15 years. They should expand their horizon and let other companies port or make games for them instead of having nothing but family friendly titles that were made by Nintendo themselves. The Wii U still only appeals to the casual gamer like the Wii did. There seem to be more casual gamers than hardcore gamers, but casual gamers aren't the kind of people that would spend a lot of money on consoles and games. 

They do need new IPs, but what they also need is for their console to be in the same ballpark as the competition.  We all saw what happened with the PS3/Wii, the Wii got largely ignored, or given heavily watered down ports when they actually paid attention to it.  Sure, the Wii U was the console to develop for before the PS4/XBO, but now we're right back where we were last gen, the Wii U is still really far behind.  Most third parties don't even bother anymore.  That and third parties have never really played nice with Nintendo after the N64 thing.

They also need to stop this catering to the casual crowd bullshit.  It doesn't work.  Period.

Edited by Sonic
  • Like 3

New and interesting IPs is what they need. I think it is pretty sad that for the new Smash Bros we have to get excited for Wii Fitness Coach o_O. The game is already VERY sparse with diverse characters (most of them being clones of other characters from the same game). I mean the fact that there is 3 characters from star fox, 4 characters from Pokemon, about 12 from Mario, 4 from Zelda and 2 from Metroid says a lot about their lack of IPs.

After reading article on the Nintendo Fusion, it seems interesting maybe 7 or 8 years ago, but not today.   Looking at Nintendo Fusion hardware specs, it looks pretty sad.  Also it tells me as a consumer that Nintendo doesn't know what to do.  A handheld that doubles as console?  Wii U part 2?  Anyway I think ever since they refused to change their game formats from cartridge to disc back in the 1990s, they were slowly losing their market share to Sony and Microsoft.  As Sonic mentioned, having their system focus on family and children instead moving with the original fanbase that wanted more mature type of games really limited their customer base.  Nintendo's innovation is running on fumes with recycling their main mascots over and over again.  I would like to see Nintendo try something bold and make mostly mature games with third party companies for one year & see if it works or not.  For their hardware, they need to match or exceed the console standard with PS4 and XBox One.  If they can't do it, then they are dead console walking.  

I would like to see Nintendo try something bold and make mostly mature games with third party companies for one year & see if it works or not. 

See that won't work either. Look at Sony, they have M rated games like Killzone and God of War but also family friendly games like Ratchet and Littlebig Planet.

They have shooters like Resistance, platformers like Sly, racers like Gran Turismo, Rpgs like all the tales/NIS stuff party games like all their move stuff or hard to classify titles like Journey or Heavy Rain.

Now none of these games on their own sell more than Halo or Mario but because Sony gives the best range of titles gamers are more willing to try out their system. Me personally (as a gamer) would rather stick with a company that gives in a given year 10-12 exclusive titles than 1 or 2.

Interesting, but I still don't think the Wii U is in such bad shape. Their sales projections are based on how well the Wii sold, and of course they aren't going to be replicating that. If you look back the the 3DS, it had the exact same problem as the Wii U as well. I had many many debates with people who said that the 3DS was an awful system that needed to be scrapped throughout the first couple years of it's release. Now look at it. It's selling incredibly fast and is doing fantastic. The PS4/X1 launches were a fluke. Systems have never really sold that fast at launch before, and it's just because of all the new gamers that jumped on the bandwagon with the PS3/360. They didn't realize that their systems were going to be bricks for the first two years or so. They gave in to the hype surrounding the consoles and bought them, even though there's basically nothing you need the system to play. Everyone I know that has a PS4 or X1 regrets buying it so early. Point is, no console does very well it's first year or two, because there's no games. It takes a couple years for there to be games worth buying a console for, and Nintendo isn't helping their cause by releasing a Mario game that's virtually identical to recent the Wii and 3DS Mario games, and an HD version of a Zelda game. Once good games start coming out (like Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, and a the unnamed Zelda game), people will start buying the console, and it will be fine. It will not be as successful as the Wii, and it will not be as successful as the PS4 or X1, but it will be fine. If they continue to update their online to be more similar to PSN and XBL, it will help them sell as well. However, they cannot pull this shit again. Making a system with last gen specs and expecting it to compete with Sony and MS will not work anymore. They'll have to create a system comparable to whatever Sony and MS have planned, or they'll really be done with the console market. I'd say the Wii U is comparable to the Sega Saturn. If Nintendo makes a Dreamcast, they'll be done.

Interesting, but I still don't think the Wii U is in such bad shape. Their sales projections are based on how well the Wii sold, and of course they aren't going to be replicating that.

Yep, Nintendo is doing just great...

Nintendo today slashed its Wii U sales forecast for the period ending March 31, 2014 to 2.8 million consoles, down from 9 million, representing a decrease of almost 70 percent. 3DS sales projections for the same period fell from 18 million to 13.5 million.

Nintendo said it now expects to post a loss of ¥25 billion ($240 million) for the year, compared to a previous forecast for a profit of ¥55 billion ($527 million). If Nintendo does end up in the red, it will mark the company's third straight annual loss.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I somehow feel Nintendo is going down the same path as SEGA and Atari, that means Nintendo may end up dying (as a Console maker, not as a Company)

Even if they go into software only, Something in my mind says that they'll still be okay. If Nintendo keeps making games at least. I don't want them going down the Atari path. Their deep down in a pile of turd. Sega still has a chance to redeem themselves, but they're only making mediocre Sonic games rather than localizing the games their fans want to play.

To sum it up, if Nintendo keeps making and localizing (good) games, then I'd still respect them as a game company.

• Like 1

Even if they go into software only, Something in my mind says that they'll still be okay. If Nintendo keeps making games at least. I don't want them going down the Atari path. Their deep down in a pile of turd. Sega still has a chance to redeem themselves, but they're only making mediocre Sonic games rather than localizing the games their fans want to play.

To sum it up, if Nintendo keeps making and localizing (good) games, then I'd still respect them as a game company.

Yea, I think your right, Nintendo might just be fine and hopefully it won't end up like Atari even though i am loyal to Atari, I know that Atari is actually down the crapper (I blame the CEO that was in charge of Atari during Jaguar)

Although I know a lot of Nintendo fans are hoping this is just a setback but to be honest I've never been happier I don't have Nintendo stock (I was never sadder before the Wii)

One of the big issues I have with Nintendo is that whenever they release a console, the previous one becomes automatically obsolete. No more games (or maybe stroke a, b or c animal) are released. It's lets all jump on 'next gen'. Unfortunately that doesn't work with a large number of wallets these days. Do I want to buy a new console to play Mario ? I think I'll pass thank you very much.

The major difference between Wii and Wii U is that with the Wii Nintendo targeted everyone and their cat. The Wii U was 'aimed' at more serious gamers, most of whom were waiting for the ps4 or xboxone. In the end, most people with a Wii weren't the type of person to update their console for ages. for example, I know we had the Wii solely for party games and mario (my wife likes italian plumbers, we all have our cross to bear) , well guess what, except for Mario, it's still fine. Most people I know with the Wii have the same dilema.

Nintendo cannot live solely on Mario, Zelda, and a few other IPs - they need to get third party support, and in support I mean major support, not a few examples here and there of something a dev is doing.

If they cannot do this, I believe they must really focus on the hand helds or trying for a great formula that they had with the Wii.

In any case it will be a long and bumpy road, although I'm sure that some people would love to see their IP's on other consoles, so maybe it's for the best overall ?