Proposed US bill could end online streaming of game footage

omgitsbounce

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/07/02/senate-bill-could-put-an-end-to-streaming-game-footage.aspx

This is not good at all. Say for instance, if I were to review a game on Youtube and use footage from the game. Or if someone were to record how to get a trophy. Or even just recording a funny glitch in a game! gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

http://www.gameinfor...me-footage.aspx

This is not good at all. Say for instance, if I were to review a game on Youtube and use footage from the game. Or if someone were to record how to get a trophy. Or even just recording a funny glitch in a game! gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Wait ARE YOU SERIOUS? I'm not sure what the bill is supposed to accomplish...? I've never heard anyone make a fuss about trophy guides or karaoke performances...

I'm no lawyer but it seems to me this bill is being misrepresented.

As I see it, it won't make doing Let's Play / commentary videos illegal, as they're not streaming content to which you don't own the copyright. The game assets are copyrighted, sure, but you're not broadcasting the game assets - you're broadcasting an original work created from the manipulation of the copyrighted assets that you own a license to use. You're not just showing off someone else's work, you're creating your own derivative work, and that's protected under the DMCA. It's not changing the law regarding copyright, but how it's enforced, else Let's Plays would already be illegal anyway, and they're not.

Anyone who actually has a law degree, do feel free to confirm / correct my thoughts.

I'm no lawyer but it seems to me this bill is being misrepresented.

As I see it, it won't make doing Let's Play / commentary videos illegal, as they're not streaming content to which you don't own the copyright. The game assets are copyrighted, sure, but you're not broadcasting the game assets - you're broadcasting an original work created from the manipulation of the copyrighted assets that you own a license to use. You're not just showing off someone else's work, you're creating your own derivative work, and that's protected under the DMCA. It's not changing the law regarding copyright, but how it's enforced, else Let's Plays would already be illegal anyway, and they're not.

Anyone who actually has a law degree, do feel free to confirm / correct my thoughts.

Whilst this makes sense to me, wouldn't the issue be when it goes to a cutscene or something along those lines?

Whilst this makes sense to me, wouldn't the issue be when it goes to a cutscene or something along those lines?

Yeah, I think you have a point there as the only Let's Play video that YouTube has flagged for copyright was one with an (unskippable) cutscene in it. Still, I think that in the greater context of the Let's Play, it's still defensible under the DMCA.

At least this will only effect the americans for now, but i wouldn't worry about it just yet, it won't happen not for a long long while, cause usually people want to keep adding stuff to these bills and what not, but if it does get accepted then you'll only have to wait 6months for it to be overturned ;)

WTF would they do that? what's the harm?

Well, theoretically the harm is the loss of money by whoever owns the copyright - it's not like they sat down and said "Let's stop people from doing LP videos", they sat down and said "Let's stop people from streaming copyrighted content over the Internet". It just so happens that they're stupid and have implemented it terribly.

Well, theoretically the harm is the loss of money by whoever owns the copyright - it's not like they sat down and said "Let's stop people from doing LP videos", they sat down and said "Let's stop people from streaming copyrighted content over the Internet". It just so happens that they're stupid and have implemented it terribly.

we need Pizza to distract them!

• 3 weeks later...