Is there an easy mode?

NZBigC

I was wondering if there was an easy or assist mode available in this game? I see the trophy guide states an 8/10 for the plat and understand that, but I am wanting to play it casually with my 5 year old son since we recently watched the show and enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Enjoy this masterpiece man, play it in simple (the easiest mode). Trust me u will fall in love with this game ?

8/10 rating is because u have to finish the game in expert (the hardest difficulty), Pacifist run and 200% completion requirement.

Edited by zulqarmessi
  • Like 4

I personally think the difficulty isn't awful after a time. It gets better with time, and also every attack has a fairly clear tell you'll start to notice. Issue becomes playing with a child due to the dexterity and such required, its a very difficult game for sure, but one that I enjoyed enough to keep trying. The relief and excitement when you finally deal the last blow is unrivaled, it never gets old to me. I haven't beat it on expert yet, though I did a rank every battle. 

In my experience, smoke dash is absolutely invaluable and a godsend for most every boss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NZBigC said:

I was wondering if there was an easy or assist mode available in this game? I see the trophy guide states an 8/10 for the plat and understand that, but I am wanting to play it casually with my 5 year old son since we recently watched the show and enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, LegendExeter said:

No there isn't.  I'm in the same boat with my 9 year old.  Game is hard as hell and not fun.

I haven’t played the game or watched the show yet, but I’ve heard comments about the show being kid friendly. Knowing what I know about the game (just the general storyline being a bit dark + the game being hard as hell), it baffles me that they seemingly made the animated series primarily for kids. 

Simple mode is the “easy mode” but Idk if it’d be simple enough for a five year old to enjoy.

Then again, I was playing the original Mario games when I was five. I didn’t get too far at that age, but slowly got better, and enjoyed playing them anyway. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There’s an “easy mode” of sorts; when you select a level, it gives you the option to play it on “Simple” difficulty, which tones down a lot of attacks or removes them entirely, removes whole phases, and usually slows things down a bit, but you can’t progress the story (or move to a new hub area) until you beat all the bosses in an area on at least “Normal.”

With the addition of the DLC, there’s a new character, Miss Chalice. She has several abilities that make things easier (though has her own quirks); double jump, an invincibility dash, and an extra heart. There’s also the “Djimmi Cheat” (I am not 100% certain if this one requires the DLC or not) which grants you a “wish” of some extra health for one fight. You can only do it three times before you beat the game, however.

The game is quite challenging, though is almost never random chance. Most enemies have clear patterns, and memorizing those patterns and what to do to counter them will take you a long way. There’s a couple of bosses where that won’t necessarily help (the final boss of the main campaign, for example; there is just a TON of stuff on the screen at once during certain phases, and even knowing the patterns isn’t going to help you when you’re trying to focus on four or five things at once, which may occasionally intersect in such a way that there’s no choice but to take a hit.)

I think the main concern would be if you feel your son can handle frustration and pattern memorization. If the answer is “yes,” then go ahead and give it a try.