What a massive bugfest

bobthecrazydog

The game is amazing, don't get me wrong, but bloody hell.

- Game has only booted up once first time. I usually have to try two or three times - on one occasion eight times.

- Sometimes it just freezes on a loading screen in-game so I have to quit out.

- Game won't install to HDD so I play from the disc which just adds to the time.

- Had to wipe the game data several times to get past an infinite loading screen.

- Some story trophies have glitched out so apparently Emil never joined the party.

I haven't played around with the PS3 clock at all and every other game works just fine so seems like I'm just unlucky. But if I'm going to have to reload saves and wipe game data every time I fail to pop a trophy when it should it's going to be a right pain. Also means I have to monitor everything like a hawk in case I miss something like the 50% words one. I already missed two story trophies as I didn't notice they hadn't popped.

I really hope they fixed all this in the recent remaster as I was looking forward to picking that up at some point too.

4 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

The trophies have been buggy since day 1 and no attempt was ever made to fix them AFAIK but this is the first I've heard of these other issues 1f914.png. Have you tried a replacement copy or cleaning the disc?

Yeah I wondered if dirt on the disc was at least causing the install/boot issues. Cleaning it seemed to make no difference though. It was a second-hand copy so might have some tiny scratches I can't make out. I'd get another copy as a last resort as at least it does work eventually...so far...if I can get the trophies working again next one I get to I'll soldier on I suppose. 

I do seem to be quite good generally at routing out bugs that are very rare or in one or two cases completely unheard of. Maybe I should get a job as a tester... ?

It's most likely a problem with your PS3 or disc. This is the first I've ever heard of any such problems and everything worked perfectly on my old PS3 5+ years back. As well, you'll have to speedrun the game eventually so that can always pop the two missed story trophies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MandA60VISE said:

It's most likely a problem with your PS3 or disc. This is the first I've ever heard of any such problems and everything worked perfectly on my old PS3 5+ years back. As well, you'll have to speedrun the game eventually so that can always pop the two missed story trophies.

The PS3 seems to work fine with everything else so most likely the disc which is annoying. It seems to be a bit better last couple of days so am hanging in there…

With a bit of luck I’ll get the missed ones on the NG+ run(s) as I think they’re both in Act 2 but speedrun will be a back-up too. As long as the grindy ones keep working ok I’m fine with doing some fast runs for those!

4 hours ago, bobthecrazydog said:

The PS3 seems to work fine with everything else so most likely the disc which is annoying. It seems to be a bit better last couple of days so am hanging in there…

With a bit of luck I’ll get the missed ones on the NG+ run(s) as I think they’re both in Act 2 but speedrun will be a back-up too. As long as the grindy ones keep working ok I’m fine with doing some fast runs for those!

Utilizing all three save files may be able to help circumvent potential glitch trophies.

The rocky road continues…

During and after the first boss battle in the last area it really bugged out. Infinite boss health, immortal Nier even when dead on the ground, and a post-battle cut scene I couldn’t get past. Was about to order a new disc until it suddenly managed to progress after ten or more attempts.

On NG+ though, after the opening cutscenes, one of the story trophies that bugged out first run popped. So just one more to sort out on the speedrun now. Every other trophy has popped as it should first time.

Safe to say 95% of the issues are a knackered disc and the other 5% the game!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 2:05 AM, bobthecrazydog said:

The rocky road continues…

During and after the first boss battle in the last area it really bugged out. Infinite boss health, immortal Nier even when dead on the ground, and a post-battle cut scene I couldn’t get past. Was about to order a new disc until it suddenly managed to progress after ten or more attempts.

On NG+ though, after the opening cutscenes, one of the story trophies that bugged out first run popped. So just one more to sort out on the speedrun now. Every other trophy has popped as it should first time.

Safe to say 95% of the issues are a knackered disc and the other 5% the game!

Would that boss with infinite health be the boar? That's part of the boss and certainly not a glitch.

17 hours ago, MandA60VISE said:

Would that boss with infinite health be the boar? That's part of the boss and certainly not a glitch.

At the time it was the first boss battle in the final dungeon. On other attempts though I also got stuck on that one but not for that reason. I also got stuck in a corridor once. All in that dungeon. After a few hundred attempts I worked out it was all to do with dialogue progression. Some bosses I got past without touching a button at all to let the dialogue advance. Others I had to go all out to reach the scene that advanced the segment. Even with those techniques I’ve only managed to reach the end credits twice so far. It’s painful. I’ve ordered another disc which will hopefully solve those things.

Also managed to get the story trophy that really did glitch out first time in my speedrun so I’m getting there…

I just started, but I'm baffled at how you can not use a ps4 controller normally without some sort of work around. The L2,R2 buttons don't work unless you boot up the console with a PS3 controller first, then boot up a PS4 controller, and then change the PS3 controller to controller 2 in the settings. Only then will the shoulder buttons' functions transfer over to a PS4 controller.

I know this is a random issue and you might ask why not use a PS3 controller at that point? Cause mine is faulty and the PS4 controller is just better. This is a documented issue and the only game i've played where it has this problem. 

Edited by Goatee_McGee

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is wondering, the vast majority of the issues resolved themselves with the purchase of a new disc. Wish I had just done that originally as it would have saved a fair few hours fighting to reach the ending the couple of times I did manage it. Oh well.

The only actual trophy glitches I had were the story ones for the two side characters joining. Both popped on subsequent playthroughs fortunately.