Rust kills off zombie population

KitsuneChaos

ss_d27ff7cd74ee0f21c085b944c602bd94af8cc

A funny thing happened once the zombie survival game Rust began its alpha. Players began emphasizing the survival aspect of the game and grew more concerned with the machinations of their fellow man than they did hiding from the undead. With Rust having morphed into a different kind of survival experience, Facepunch Studios has ultimately decided to kill off zombies, once and for all, in the recent February 6 update.

"Yep. We did it. We decided we couldn't hold off any longer," Facepunch's Maurino Berry said on the Rust blog (via Kotaku). "The longer we keep zombies in – the more complaints we'd get about removing them. We are forcing ourselves to deal with it. We are no longer a zombie survival game! They've been replaced with red bears and wolves. You hate them. We know. They're just plugging a gap for now. All will be revvvealed."

It should be noted that the last word in that quote is no typo. Read into the extra v's what you will.

With wildlife now filling the zombie void, Rust's latest update has improved their behavior. Animals will now react to gunshots and also be wary of other, more hostile wildlife.

Rust's alpha is available now through Steam Early Access.

So a user-based survival game in which zombies are removed? I know I've heard a bunch of complaints about them in the past, but could never have imagined their eventual removal.

So a user-based survival game in which zombies are removed? I know I've heard a bunch of complaints about them in the past, but could never have imagined their eventual removal.

Like any good apocalyptic scenario, it's the living you should fear, not the dead. That's proven to be the case is Rust, so the zombies are redundant. They're more an annoying sideshow than the main event. Edited by ant1th3s1s