What's your honest opinions on Stray?

Lucibur

Didn't think this game was particularly good and it felt more like a tech demo to me. The world itself is interesting enough, but feels very underdeveloped and could have used a bit more of a backstory other than, "World gone bad due to a plague and now robots have inherited the Earth in the absence of humans."

I was also pretty annoyed that motion blur was enabled by default because I eventually found the source of my motion sickness was tied to motion blur being enabled. Once I disabled it, my motion sickness got better.

Edited by Leeeoom
  • Like 1

I just finished this recently and have to say it was a great experience. I really enjoyed it. It was something completely new, the puzzles were simple yet enjoyable, the platforming as a cat was fun, and just wandering around the world exploring what I could was great. I think my first playthrough was around 8 hours and then the speed run. Hopefully we get another one down the track.

I have to say though my least favourite part was the speedrun. Not that it was a challenge but I despise speedruns in games. I've already beat the game and then I need to replay it in the worst way possible skipping as much content as I possibly can. It just doesn't appeal to me at all and feels like the wrong way to play a game.

One of my favourite games ever, but to be fair I really like cats (my PlayStation name is named after my cat lol) I feel like the ending kind of left it open for a sequel, and I hope to god they make one.

The can’t catch me trophy kind of ruined the platinum in my opinion, but it wasn’t so bad that it stopped me from platinuming the game a second time, about a year after the first.

One of those games where my main complaint is that it was too short, so whenever that’s my only real complaint I know I really enjoyed the experience.

Also this was the first Annapurna game I’d ever heard of, and it got me to make a list of every annapurna game and attempt to play through all of them lol. stray is definitely my favourite, but all their games which I’ve played so far are pretty decent I must say.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

My small backstory: my 18 years old cat died in september last year and probably to fill the void after losing him, I received this game from my friend as a birthday present. He assured me "I will like it, because it's very metroidvania-like". He's a good guy, but damn, he's so wrong.

Because this game has 0 metroidvania elements, has poor platforming sections, has poor stealth sections and is also pretty mediocre when you treat it as an adventure game, although this is IMO the best part of it. In general it's just a walking sim where you play as a cat and this is probably the main (only?) reason of this hype. I'd bet a good amount of money that like 80% of players praise this game only because of this and wouldn't touch it otherwise. 

This game is worth something about 6/10, but pretty nice world design and sound effects bump it up to 7/10, and I'd rate it as such trying to be as objective as possible. So technically, it's a good game. But personally I had very minuscule fun with it, and this is coming from somebody who played tons of shitty and frustrating games in his life. I cannot force myself to platinum it, ever after few months. Maybe when I finally get PS5, I'll give this game another chance, at least to earn few trophies again.

Despite my rather negative opinion about it, I want to thank devs of Stray if even single person, who though of games as a hobby for kids and manchilds, played it and then changed their mind to something like "Hey, games are fun and pretty nice hobby to have! Maybe I should try something else?".

And I still miss my cat.

On 7/17/2023 at 2:54 AM, Mr_Fluffy_Pants_ said:

Also this was the first Annapurna game I’d ever heard of, and it got me to make a list of every annapurna game and attempt to play through all of them lol. stray is definitely my favourite, but all their games which I’ve played so far are pretty decent I must say.

You should watch for BlueTwelve Studio instead, because they're the creators of the game, and Annapurna is a publisher.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex
  • Like 2

Game is just okay-to-fine in my opinion. I think it had much larger potential - even replayability - but it was just left on the table. I had fun on my first play through, but now that I've been going back for trophies, I've found it really boring and annoying at parts (unskippable cutscenes, lack of vocals in convos, tracking collectibles). A really good example of a heavy sigh from me is for Can't Cat-ch Me, you have go through the whole start of Dead End just to get to the start of the chase sequence (which of itself is frustrating). I'm likely not picking it up again once I finish my trophy hunting efforts. 

I do think its a well-made game, and I would play a sequel. I just hope for more quality of life, extra things to do (mini-games in open world sections), and better replayability. 

I get why some people don't see the hype for the game and that's okay, not everyone's going to enjoy the game. I personally had a lot of fun both times I played, just one trophy was a pain to get and it was the first time encountering an enemy type and trying not to get them on the cat.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 12:44 AM, Spinosaurus Rex said:

My small backstory: my 18 years old cat died in september last year and probably to fill the void after losing him, I received this game from my friend as a birthday present. He assured me "I will like it, because it's very metroidvania-like". He's a good guy, but damn, he's so wrong.

Because this game has 0 metroidvania elements, has poor platforming sections, has poor stealth sections and is also pretty mediocre when you treat it as an adventure game, although this is IMO the best part of it. In general it's just a walking sim where you play as a cat and this is probably the main (only?) reason of this hype. I'd bet a good amount of money that like 80% of players praise this game only because of the this and wouldn't touch it otherwise. 

This game is worth something about 6/10, but pretty nice world design and sound effects bump it up to 7/10, and I'd rate it as such trying to be as objective as possible. So technically, it's a good game. But personally I had very minuscule fun with it, and this is coming from somebody who played tons of shitty and frustrating games in his life. I cannot force myself to platinum it, ever after few months. Maybe when I finally get PS5, I'll give this game another chance, at least to earn few trophies again.

Despite my rather negative opinion about it, I want to thank devs of Stray if even single person, who though of games as a hobby for kids and manchilds, played it and then changed their mind to something like "Hey, games are fun and pretty nice hobby to have! Maybe I should try something else?".

And I still miss my cat.

You should watch for BlueTwelve Studio instead, because they're the creators of the game, and Annapurna is a publisher.

Sorry for your loss 

I played this game shortly after the death of my cat Biscuit... and loved it, i pressed the meow button soooooo much...

Im not sure i would of played this game if Biscuit hadn't passed.

Its a Beautiful peace of work !

Just wish you met up with your buddies at the end that you get separated from at the beginning.

Happy Gaming

Peace

• Like 2