Struggling with Leveling Up

So, I am not leveling up very easily in this game. I am mid to late in Stage Three and all my characters are in the upper 50s. I know the enemies I need to kill are the metal slimes but I can't get them to appear. I am just about to clear the Disciple's Trial for the third time. I have killed every enemy I could find, even gone back to re-kill respawned enemies, and only found one Vicious Liquid Metal Slime. One in three runs. Yet everywhere online says that is where you go to increase your chance but to me, it has not paid off. Am I missing certain items to make them appear or is it the best place to find one? If I could kill the enemies faster or easier it wouldn't be as big of a pain but each fight is lasting longer than I would like and it seems my average party level is below what it should be according to other places on the net. Any help or advice? Thanks.

It takes some prep for it but there's a faster way to level up with the right skills. I forget when you can do it exactly but you will be able to get King Metal Slimes summoned. I'm pretty sure this is the video I used for it.

Edit: I should mention that it's not a guarantee you will get the King Metal Slimes to spawn with the ability so what I did was wait until everyone was pepped up and then I would save before starting the next battle. That way if you get the other enemies to spawn instead you won't have to waste time trying to get everyone pepped up again.

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DesmaBR said:

The Trophy Guide here on PSNP explains the method you'll use to grind.

I didn't find that method very reliable, you end up resetting roughly half a dozen times, not to mention the time sync and resources it requires to have the times, and I don't have all the abilities listed. Now if that truly is the only other way to level up and find metal slimes, sure I'll do it over the course of the next year or so, but not really fun and very off-putting. I was hoping there was a better spot to farm for slimes naturally but doesn't seem to be.

6 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

It takes some prep for it but there's a faster way to level up with the right skills. I forget when you can do it exactly but you will be able to get King Metal Slimes summoned. I'm pretty sure this is the video I used for it.

Yeah, the same method is described in the guide. "It may take awhile" as the video says is an understatement but, yes, it is faster than killing non-metal slimes, and clearly trying to find them naturally is wrong. I was hoping for a location where they appeared in battles above the average amount. More than one spot on the net sends you to the Disciple's Trial for that reason, your best place to find metal slimes. Not the case for me. Alright, was hoping for something else, doesn't seem to exist. Thanks @DesmaBR and @Redgrave, just gonna have to plug away using that method.

2 minutes ago, Matrim_Drasgen said:

I didn't find that method very reliable, you end up resetting roughly half a dozen times, not to mention the time sync and resources it requires to have the times, and I don't have all the abilities listed. Now if that truly is the only other way to level up and find metal slimes, sure I'll do it over the course of the next year or so, but not really fun and very off-putting. I was hoping there was a better spot to farm for slimes naturally but doesn't seem to be.

Yeah, the same method is described in the guide. "It may take awhile" as the video says is an understatement but, yes, it is faster than killing non-metal slimes, and clearly trying to find them naturally is wrong. I was hoping for a location where they appeared in battles above the average amount. More than one spot on the net sends you to the Disciple's Trial for that reason, your best place to find metal slimes. Not the case for me. Alright, was hoping for something else, doesn't seem to exist. Thanks @DesmaBR and @Redgrave, just gonna have to plug away using that method.

Yeah unfortunately there isn't really much in the way of them spawning consistently from what I remember. I think I remember trying the Disciples Trial method but I guess it didn't work for me because they would run away too. The only other thing that kind of works at least until like level 70+ is an area for Metal Hands but it can be annoying trying to keep them from running away and getting them to spawn and even then they only give about half the XP a King Metal Slime would.

• Like 1

Eventually, I will. This entire game is way too long when compared to the hassle of leveling up. I grind levels in RPGs all the time, even when nothing requires me to do so. I don't mind doing it in this one but the enemy's EXP gain is unproportional to the amount of time necessary and resources used to win the fight. Not to mention it all relies on you to play exactly a certain way, thus eliminating all choices of freedom and fun. I didn't select the correct abilities nor do I use the characters I must have for any of this to work.

Well, it took a couple of hours to set everything up but, to be fair I was trying to do other things (both in-game and out-of-game) while trying to get the abilities necessary for the level-up trick to work. I tried it and got three levels. I was well below level 60 so just the three vicious metal slimes appeared. Not bad for maybe three hours of work but not that great. I then just went to playing normally and happen to get into a fight in the Battlegrounds with a dragon zombie and a vicious metal king slime. By random occurrence, Jade and Erik had their pep power and Hero started the match. So I used his Pep Up ability, used the Hallejuah power, critical hit him with Erik, and decided to press my luck and finish out the combo. Brought in Sylvando and Serena, and took out Hero. Got Syl and Jade pepped up, and replaced them. Brought Hero back, and used his ability again. Brought back the team you need of Hero, Jade, Erik, and Sylvando. I used Electro Light and got Vicious Liquid Metal Slime and two Vicious Metal Slimes. Killed them and got a few hundred EXP shy of 700k and shot up seven levels. So the method works and the amount of time isn't totally bad. I have six hours and just a handful of minutes into doing nothing but this method and got my first two characters (Erik and Veronica) to 99. Hero and Hendrik are 98, Jade and Sylvando are 95, Rab is 93, and Serena is 92. So one more time for sure to get the first four for sure and maybe Rab. Possibly might get Serena as she only needs 30k for her next level and one time the fight scored me roughly 900k so if I get lucky and get that amount again, might push her all the way to 99. Thanks, @DesmaBR and @Redgrave for pushing the guide's advice and supporting the Trophy Hunt. I wanted to stop cause I have so many games requiring grinding right now. My bad for doubting the guide's method. I just tried to achieve it once before but my characters were not ready and that makes all the difference. I had to respec one and almost a second to get the abilities but definitely worth the couple thousand in gold to do so.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen
  • Like 1