Pier Solar HD on 3DS

Lady Lilith

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/02/20/sega-genesis-rpg-pier-solar-hd-coming-to-the-nintendo-3ds/

pshd_ks1280set_0-600x337.png
We already know the guys behind the remake of the SEGA Genesis RPG from 2010, Pier Solar HD, want to bring the title to many platforms (including Dreamcast), including the Wii U this Spring. According to the developer Watermelon, they could end up putting it on the Nintendo 3DS as well.

“On Wii U, we’re definitely putting the second screen to good use, a feature that will be exclusive of that platform. Well, maybe not for long if we end up making it to the 3DS, but that’s for later.” – 
Watermelon Presiden Tulio Goncalves

Pier Solar HD is also coming out for PC, Mac, Linux, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Android, Ouya and lastly the SEGA Dreamcast. Yeah, its going to be hard to miss!

I know Deth was asking about this a few days ago, so here you go.  

• Like 2

Wait they are releasing it on dreamcast?!

Yep.  Have the Dreamcast Limited Edition preordered.  I actually know the guy who does the strategy guide too, so I'll get to check his work out, since the LE comes with one.

Dreamcast version has full VMU support and VGA support.  I still think it's kinda sad how the VGA Dreamcast outputs the same as the Wii, but whatever.  I think the Dreamcast version was one of the first ones announced.

Edited by Sonic

Yep.  Have the Dreamcast Limited Edition preordered.  I actually know the guy who does the strategy guide too, so I'll get to check his work out, since the LE comes with one.

After searching I see it was originally made for genesis. Thats crazy. Other games have been independtly released after the consoles life span as well?

After searching I see it was originally made for genesis. Thats crazy. Other games have been independtly released after the consoles life span as well?

The Dreamcast is the most popular console among indie devs, it seems.  Watermelon has a project for the SNES and another one for the Genesis, but they've said they may bring those to modern consoles too.  I could only imagine they'd include Dreamcast.

The Dreamcast is the most popular console among indie devs, it seems.  Watermelon has a project for the SNES and another one for the Genesis, but they've said they may bring those to modern consoles too.  I could only imagine they'd include Dreamcast.

Thats cool. I love how it didnt get enough love at the time, and yet people are still loving it today

It should also be noted that a recent tweet from the team confirmed that the game has been delayed from a March release to April.

Well, boo.  I had heard this a few days ago, but I had hoped it was only for the Wii U version.  If the delay is due to the 3DS version, I have mixed feelings.  The game seemed suited to handhelds since 16 bit RPGs do great on handhelds from what I see, but it already got delayed from December 2013.

That's pretty neat. I thought it would only appear on PC, 360 and Dreamcast.

To answer your earlier question about the first delay, if you look at the updates, it was cause Watermelon was trying to get Microsoft to sign on.  Since they have a vendetta against all indies, it took them until January to lock in Xbox releases.  It probably would have released already if Watermelon just avoided MS like the plague, as they should.  My guess is MS will just screw them over anyway in one way or another.

To answer your earlier question about the first delay, if you look at the updates, it was cause Watermelon was trying to get Microsoft to sign on.  Since they have a vendetta against all indies, it took them until January to lock in Xbox releases.  It probably would have released already if Watermelon just avoided MS like the plague, as they should.  My guess is MS will just screw them over anyway in one way or another.

I thought they were trying to be more indie friendly ever since One came out?

They may say that, but if you watch the updates leading up to the Xbox versions, you'll see they specifically mention how long it took MS to respond to them, and after multiple attempts to contact them.

Edited by Sonic

• 3 weeks later...

Did some reading and found this article from way back.  I also remember the update that went with it after reading this.

Tulio Goncalves posted the above video update on the Pier Solar HD Kickstarter pageyesterday with some bad news. It looks like the Xbox 360 version isn’t going to happen, and it’s not for lack of effort on Watermelon Games’ part. According to Goncalves, Microsoft simply won’t respond to the numerous application he’s submitted, so at this point, the decision was made to move forward with the other ports of the HD release of the SEGA Genesis RPG.

Goncalves also announced the game will be delayed from its planned December release date until around March 2014. What’s more, he announced Pier Solar HD will also be made available on the PlayStation 3, which he actually announced first onEpisode 4 of the SEGA Nerdcast, and also the PlayStation 4.

Pier Solar HD will be released on the SEGA Dreamcast, Nintendo Wii U, PC, PS3, PS4, Android and Ouya. So pretty much everything except Microsoft consoles. Psshh, for shame, Microsoft. For shame!

So yeah, Microsoft still hates indies.

Did some reading and found this article from way back.  I also remember the update that went with it after reading this.

So yeah, Microsoft still hates indies.

It's still coming to Xbox 360.

@watermelongames Wondering why you didn't mention Xbox 360 for the target platforms in this interview. Cancelled?

@lifelower Not cancelled.

@watermelongames Good to hear :) I thought there's a publishing problem on the ver. So, planning to release in April on all platforms?

@lifelower That's the plan! :)