Microsoft turned down PS4 exclusive Rime

Lady Lilith

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-said-no-to-playstation-4-exclusive-rime/1100-6417855/

2441101-8098637038-20513.jpg

Microsoft at one stage turned down a chance to own the title that would end up becoming intriguing PlayStation 4 exclusive Rime, leaked documents have revealed.

VG Leaks published the documents, which showed that Tequila Works asked Microsoft for $3 million to develop an Xbox Live Arcade version of what was then called Echoes of Siren. The title would also come to Windows 8 and Windows Phone, and was described as "Gauntlet meets Minecraft meets Jason and the Argonauts" in its pitch document.

Microsoft studios exec Phil Spencer answered a question on Twitter about why Microsoft declined the option to fund the game. "Part of job is living with mistakes," said Spencer.

"Passed on Guitar Hero...I can list many misses regretfully. I try to focus on what we did ship."

"We'll miss some, nature of the beast," he added, "it's why I don't hate when games ship elsewhere. Cool to see team's idea turn into great game."

Rime is still in development for PlayStation 4. It does not yet have a release date, but captured the imagination of many when it was unveiled at Gamescom 2013.

Not very surprised, since Microsoft seems to have a vendetta against indies, I wonder how much Watermelon had to hound them to get Pier Solar HD on...Actually, I do know, that's the reason it was delayed from December 2013.  Yes, it took THAT long for them to respond.

Edited by Sonic
  • Like 3

Considering that they appear to have been the first of the two to actually develop a market for Indie titles on home consoles, I'm not exactly sure how they come across to "have a vendetta against indies", but okay.

You're the thread guy after all. =/

While arguably pretty, I don't think I'll be giving this much of a shot.

• 3 years later...