General PS3 Upkeep Tips

Dreakon139

I play my PS3 almost every day (how long depends on things like work and social life), but anyways... things can get a little messy. Shavings from the joystick rubbing against the plastic of the controller tend to dust things up. I've noticed little bits of grime/dust or whatever tend to build up inside the line that outlines the controller (if that makes sense). The D-Pad and controller buttons, I can find similar bits of grime/dust collecting. The console itself collecting dust.

Maybe I'm just a disgusting individual, but I'd think anyone that plays as much as (or more) than me would also see similar issues pop up. I'm just wondering what procedure you guys take in cleaning your PS3 and accessories and keeping it in tip-top shape.

Whether it's once a year, once a month, every day... whatever it is you do to keep your PS3 and accessories looking shiny and new. :)

EDIT: I suppose it would be on-topic to describe anything you do on the PS3 itself to keep it running smooth as well, like rebuilding the database. Any PS3 upkeep tips are appreciated!

I have a micro-fibre cloth and an "air duster" (which is nothing more that a can of compressed air) to reach places the cloth can't, such as vents. If I notice my PS3 is dusty, I clean it. I will clean any controllers approx once a week. By being a slacker and not looking after my kit, it'll just end up needing to be replaced and my gaming costs me enough as it is.

I have a micro-fibre cloth and an "air duster" (which is nothing more that a can of compressed air) to reach places the cloth can't, such as vents. If I notice my PS3 is dusty, I clean it.

Is there any way of "getting inside" the PS3 and cleaning dust without voiding any warranty's or anything? Or do you think the can of compressed air does the job well enough?

Is there any way of "getting inside" the PS3 and cleaning dust without voiding any warranty's or anything? Or do you think the can of compressed air does the job well enough?

The compressed air cans I get come with a very thin straw-type attachment for reaching those hard to get to places and the blast is sufficient to loosen pretty much any dust that is going to cause over-heating and such problems.

I take a vacuum to the vents on a low setting to clean it out of dust. I don't clean my controllers as much, because I usually make sure to only handle them with clean hands. Also, I'd also recommend cleaning the area it's in, around the entertainment system or wherever.

Yes, you can also use a low powered vacuum cleaner after you spray the air on the inside to collect any loosened dust. DO NOT use a compressor tool and/or a high powered vacuum, you may loosen a cable.

• Like 1

I noticed I had that grim crap in the gap of my controllers I swear it must be dead skin cells and crap off your hands.

To clean mine properaly I pulled apart the controller and scraped all the crap off and with an old toothbrush gave it a brush. I do it ever now and again all thought I'm not an obsessive cleaning person lol PS3 itself gets no real special treatment Maby just a wipe over with my hands.

I find that I have to buy a new controller every year because the resistance on the L2 and R2 buttons entirely collapses.

Kind of lame, really. I wish I knew how to fix it myself, kind of. But buying a new one a year isn't that big of a deal because the less-functional controllers I can either sell, or use for co-op sessions with friends.