P5R PS5 Trophy Thoughts?

DyrekRacc

On 22.10.2022 at 3:30 AM, Teh_Zombz said:

i'm playing the orginial P5 at the moment. what is this royal version? is like a definite edition or completely different game?

It's the same game but vastly expanded. It has whole new semester, overworked confidant links, new areas to hang out, new phantom thief, new dungeons, additional content in Mementos, and a tooon of QOL improvements. It's the same situation as Persona 4 & Persona 4 Golden.

I think picking Royal over base P5 is no brainer, it adds so much on top of an already brillian game. 

PS4 Royal to PS5 Royal tho is not worth it. It's the same game but with bundled in DLC and 60fps. I got it because I have total brain rot that left me mentally not capable to resist anything Persona, but for normal healthy humans I'd say stick with Persona Royal PS4 version. 

Damn I want the new collector's edition but it's too pricey for me ? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I originally wasn't going to pick up the PS5 version of Royal since I got the platinum for the original PS4 release and earned all the Thieves Den awards, but when it went on sale for $25 during Black Friday I figured what the hell. As a fun experiment I tried to get 100% as fast as possible by skipping all the dialogue, playing on safe, and following this 100% guide: https://psnprofiles.com/guide/11946-persona-5-royal-100-perfect-schedule Total playtime was 37 hours.

In the end I agree with the general sentiment that this is an unnecessary port. Porting the game to Switch, Xbox, and Steam? Totally makes sense, but the PS5 version feels like a, "Well we're doing all the other consoles anyways so why not put it on PS5 too?" I'm also not a big fan of the 60fps in this game, but maybe I'm just so used to the game in its original 30fps. There were also moments where the game would freeze for a second or two during battles which never happened to me in the PS4 version. I wonder if that's a byproduct of the 60fps boost. 

The trophy list is also exactly the same on PS4 and PS5 for better or for worse. I like that you can get everything in 1 playthrough, but the OG P5 platinum is more rewarding. A lot of that original list has been relegated to the Thieves Den so it's not entirely gone. I get that when Royal originally came out they wanted to push all the new Royal content and the trophy list reflects that, but the PS5 version (and the other ports) could have been a way to combine the best of both worlds from OG P5 and P5R. But unfortunately ATLUS doesn't seem to care much about trophies and achievements since all their ports just re-use trophy lists (Looking at you P4AU).

If you're reading this and deciding whether to get Royal on PS4 or PS5, honestly it doesn't matter. You own it on PS4? Play that one. You found the PS5 version cheap? Play that one. You own the PS4 version and a PS5 console? Play it on there. You can't go wrong, and neither is "definitive" because they're basically the same minus the DLC included (which can totally break the game if you know how to use it) and 30fps vs. 60fps. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...