Any tips for endless scores?

A-D-I-L_99

I just got ~250k after some time, which is a long way off from 500k. Still, here's what I've been doing.

2 balls for the most part. 3 and 4 are cool in story mode, but you're penalized a lot more in endless for losing a ball. I'll go to 3 if I have 2-3 stored, but it's risky and you have a lot less flexibility to suck and less room for error when you do. (Plus the trophies are glitched right now where the bonus points don't count toward trophies, so the 4-ball bonus won't help you.)

You want to establish a rhythm of blow and suck. It can be tempting to blow constantly as that's intuitively the safe way to do go about it. But you're not sucking in all the shards, which (1) hurts your multiplier and (2) gives you less flexibility with energy. The best time to start sucking is when you've just launched 1 of your 2 balls straight ahead as it won't come back to you for a while and you can focus on batting the other ball as it comes back to you, if applicable. Developing a sense of when it's beneficial AND safe to suck is important. And when you suck, you want to move the least amount possible; the shards can still be exhausted even when you're sucking if you're moving too fast and they miss you. 

As you might expect, the multiplier is essential to raking in a lot of points. In addition to the above, one of your strongest tools is to do the following: (1) wait for a crowded board (2) build up a lot of shards on the board while making sure you have a decent amount of energy to start (3) get into a relatively safe position in terms of your balls (4) start sucking (5) as soon as the shards are hitting you, press the square and annihilate the board. This can both raise your multiplier AND earn points at the same time. It works because as you destroy stuff you get more shards, and more shards is more ammo to destroy stuff. If you are careful about it, you can focus on batting incoming balls while you're unleashing the carnage. You must, however, keep in mind your energy levels as the shield will drain it. You may need to have 1-2 seconds on, 1-2 seconds off so you can have a chance to refill your energy some.

I think using this liberally is the key to doing well, but I'll have to try it out some more. 

I generally don't like the maneuverable power up because it gives you less flexibility to suck. All others are good, but be careful when sucking with the power up where the balls go through things easier — they can come back quicker than expected. 

Edited by Trigonometrize
  • Like 3

Great tips there, it gets insane because the multiplier drops so quickly and you have to survive for ages. Sometimes I feel the L2 and Square doesn't trigger when it should. Also when overcrowded its risky because you need shield to clear the ones close to you. 

I get to 100 million easily just by using one ball and the L2 + Square method. 

But it takes a while, the pressure near the end gets to me and I start losing balls very easily and stupidly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trigonometrize said:

I just got ~250k after some time, which is a long way off from 500k. Still, here's what I've been doing.

2 balls for the most part. 3 and 4 are cool in story mode, but you're penalized a lot more in endless for losing a ball. I'll go to 3 if I have 2-3 stored, but it's risky and you have a lot less flexibility to suck and less room for error when you do. (Plus the trophies are glitched right now where the bonus points don't count toward trophies, so the 4-ball bonus won't help you.)

You want to establish a rhythm of blow and suck. It can be tempting to blow constantly as that's intuitively the safe way to do go about it. But you're not sucking in all the shards, which (1) hurts your multiplier and (2) gives you less flexibility with energy. The best time to start sucking is when you've just launched 1 of your 2 balls straight ahead as it won't come back to you for a while and you can focus on batting the other ball as it comes back to you, if applicable. Developing a sense of when it's beneficial AND safe to suck is important. 

As you might expect, the multiplier is essential to raking in a lot of points. In addition to the above, one of your strongest tools is to do the following: (1) wait for a crowded board (2) build up a lot of shards (3) get into a relatively safe position in terms of your balls (4) start sucking (5) as soon as the shards are hitting you, press the square and annihilate the board. This can both raise your multiplier AND earn points at the same time. It works because as you destroy stuff you get more shards, and more shards is more ammo to destroy stuff. If you are careful about it, you can focus on batting incoming balls while you're unleashing the carnage. I think using this liberally is the key to doing well, but I'll have to try it out some more. 

I generally don't like the maneuverable power up because it gives you less flexibility to suck. All others are good, but be careful when sucking with the power up where the balls go through things easier — they can come back quicker than expected. 

I got 697.1 million so I think this is definitely a viable strategy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheArtfulDimond said:

Thanks for the tips! 300 mil is my high so far. I've used pretty much the same strategy you laid out, but I've only been using one ball. 

Yeah, I didn't ever *try* to only use one ball, but when I was down to only one it surprisingly held up in the point rate sense. 

It's possible this is a better strategy overall for people that are more prone to losing them. 

Edited by Trigonometrize
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Another tip I would add is to make destroying pieces that blows air and pieces that create those red bubbles a priority. Those 2 in particular can make the board fill up fast. So I usually just blast them to bits with the shard/shield method ?

Edited by vanillamoose