Anyone know an affordable way to play retro consoles on modern TV's?

Viper

8 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

That's a really good point you have and I don't have an answer. I got lucky owning all this stuff before the "new world" started. There is a load of options from Amazon and a few that look the same as the one Retro RGB has used. So at the time of that video that one was popular however knock offs where starting to show. Maybe get something like this? I use a few of these for various systems.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-HDTV-Cable-GameCube-N64-Super/dp/B07SCPHHVB/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3E907FZSUXR9I&keywords=Hyperkin+3+in+1+HDTV+Cable+for+Super+NES+%2F+N64+%2F+GameCube&qid=1672203226&sprefix=hyperkin+3+in+1+hdtv+cable+for+super+nes+%2F+n64+%2F+gamecube%2Caps%2C296&sr=8-1

Thanks, but I ended up just biting the bullet and getting the Retrotink 2x Pro. I dug out my old 2008 720p Flatscreen and tested my PS2 on it. Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth has some 240p opening videos when you start the game up...and they wouldn't display. So I figured this Retrotink costs way too much for this little box, but maybe it'll pay for itself over time.  

8 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

use the same roms and emulators on a laptop or computer, and then use the hdmi input on your laptop to your tv

Like I said, I've been using Emulators for years. Been with Project64 since the mid 2000's. And it's fine....but it's just not the same as having the real thing. Which is the point of this post...I wanted to finally buy an N64 to have the physical media again. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

Thanks, but I ended up just biting the bullet and getting the Retrotink 2x Pro. I dug out my old 2008 720p Flatscreen and tested my PS2 on it. Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth has some 240p opening videos when you start the game up...and they wouldn't display. So I figured this Retrotink costs way too much for this little box, but maybe it'll pay for itself over time.  

Like I said, I've been using Emulators for years. Been with Project64 since the mid 2000's. And it's fine....but it's just not the same as having the real thing. Which is the point of this post...I wanted to finally buy an N64 to have the physical media again. 

The retrotink is also nice in the fact it handles games that change between resolutions better than the other upscalers. Other ones like the OSSC and Framemeister will lose signal on your tv when a game changes resolutions, whereas the retrotink doesn't have that issue

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Viper said:

ah i getcha now. i thought the concern was playing them on a big tv and not so much where its coming from. i do believe if i recall there is a adapter made that will convert the old wires through hdmi i think. i cant recall but does n64 have rca wires? my shitty ex gf stole my n64 so i cant look. alot of tvs still have rca wires but some cut them out to make the price cheaper. you might be able to just find a used newer tv for dirt cheap and run the rca in them

ugh nevermind i just ytped tha tout for nothing since you said you got the retrotink. i think thats what i was thinking of, or something simular. ill just shut my yap now lol

• Like 1

When you don't want to do anything else but play with your new toy. :( 

N64 came today, but the Retrotink hasn't even shipped yet...so I don't have a TV that can display it. Checked my TV just in case, it plays the audio but no picture...so that's a good sign it at least works. But man...it's just sitting there...waiting. 

I've seen some recent Reddit posts saying people have waited weeks for their Retrotink to even ship...I may have to get a cheap piece of crap for the mean time. 

18 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

ah i getcha now. i thought the concern was playing them on a big tv and not so much where its coming from. i do believe if i recall there is a adapter made that will convert the old wires through hdmi i think. i cant recall but does n64 have rca wires? my shitty ex gf stole my n64 so i cant look. alot of tvs still have rca wires but some cut them out to make the price cheaper. you might be able to just find a used newer tv for dirt cheap and run the rca in them

ugh nevermind i just ytped tha tout for nothing since you said you got the retrotink. i think thats what i was thinking of, or something simular. ill just shut my yap now lol

lol no worries. The issue is that the N64 is a 240p machine and modern TV's just don't like that resolution. My TV supports Composite and Component, but won't display lower than 480i. So I was looking for an affordable way to play it on my 4KTV but I was also trying to avoid these things like Retrotink because...while I'm sure they're nice to have, why do they have to cost $130+? Why is an mClassic, this stick of plastic, $100? Why is a Frammeister over $1400? But at the same time, everyone says the simpler Composite to HDMI converters you can find on Amazon are just trash or flat out scams.  

I guess my issue is that there's no in between. Something that was a simple AV to HDMI converter but wasn't total garbage or a scam, but was also priced fairly. I'll never get over how ridiculously overpriced things are becoming just to prey on people's love of a hobby. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1