Anyone know an affordable way to play retro consoles on modern TV's?

Viper

So I'm looking to possibly buy an N64 here soon. I've been using the Project64 emulator for years, but I finally want to play on the actual hardware again. The thing is, I don't have a CRT TV and while I'm not 100% sure, I'm confident my 4KTV doesn't support 240p (there's certain cutscenes in PS2 games that won't display on my TV as I think they're in 240p while the rest of the game is 480p), therefore the N64 isn't likely to display on it even though I have composite ports on the back. 

Now I know about these upscalers such as mClassic or Retrotink, but these things are just wayyyyy too expensive just to play my console. So I was wondering if anyone knows of something far more affordable? While it'd certainly be nice to view N64 games in HD, I don't NEED it...I'm more so looking for a reliable way to display an N64 on my 4KTV without the picture looking worse, I've seen some truly cheap plug n play devices that wash out the colors and all that. So was hoping someone has something that isn't talked about much around the net. 

Outside of getting your retro consoles modded to add HDMI ports or having to drop a small fortune on either a frammeister or a modern retro console such as a Retron or the Analogue NT, try these tips for size :)https://www.maketecheasier.com/connect-retro-game-console-modern-tv/

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

I picked up a couple large screen CRT TVs with Trinitron tubes off of Craigslist over the years. I actually still a 55” rear projection CRT Sony WEGA with HDMI input for free as well that gets used pretty often. Cleaned out the cabinet and the lenses and it plays all my consoles perfectly. 

I know you’re looking to use one TV for all your consoles, but are cost and complexity enough to consider checking out some free options?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

You can just get an RCA to HDMI converter for old consoles. It upscales the footage to 1080p, and are around $10-$20. There's a bunch of them on Amazon. 

They also add horrible input lag and don't keep the correct aspect ratio of 4:3. Retrorgb has a video about it

If you want to play on the correct aspect ratio and zero input lag, the only real options are devices like retrotink/framemeister/OSSC, however it's not really cost effective if you're only using 1 non-hd console

@ViperI have an old enko av to hdmi converter if you want it though, just have to pay the shipping

Nearly forgot, there's also the RAD2x which is based off of the retrotink, but a lot less expensive

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-CABLES/Nintendo-RAD2X/SUPER-NINTENDO-PAL-GAMECUBE-N64-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-CABLE

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the responses guys, but this is what I was worried about. I knew about all these converters you can find on Amazon, but like Sakura mentioned they can cause lag and stretching the picture to 16:9. 

And the RAD2x was something I looked at before...but it's still $80. If it was like $30 cheaper I might consider it...but that's still on the high side IMO, it's hard for me to justify paying that much for a cable when it wouldn't be that much lower than what I pay for the console itself (with games). 

I don't know...I might have to dig out my old 720p Flatscreen from 2009 if I can find it and see if that accepts 240p video. Otherwise I may have to stick with the emulators, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Viper said:

Thanks for all the responses guys, but this is what I was worried about. I knew about all these converters you can find on Amazon, but like Sakura mentioned they can cause lag and stretching the picture to 16:9. 

And the RAD2x was something I looked at before...but it's still $80. If it was like $30 cheaper I might consider it...but that's still on the high side IMO, it's hard for me to justify paying that much for a cable when it wouldn't be that much lower than what I pay for the console itself (with games). 

I don't know...I might have to dig out my old 720p Flatscreen from 2009 if I can find it and see if that accepts 240p video. Otherwise I may have to stick with the emulators, unfortunately. 

Unfortunately it is pretty difficult finding tv sets that support 240p over composite nowadays. A tv from 2009 should support 240p composite

37 minutes ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

Yeah this is one of the things I mentioned in my OP. They're expensive here too. 

Edited by Viper

When it comes to affordable ways to connect an N64 to a modern 4KTV, I'm afraid to say you're likely to be stuck using the cheap HDMI converters from Amazon.

There's only so much you can do really with the picture when using these retro consoles on a modern display. Nothing is going to beat playing it on a CRT display it was designed for. I've heard of people picking up CRTs from Facebook marketplace for free since some people just want to get rid of them. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, rebelkiller93 said:

When it comes to affordable ways to connect an N64 to a modern 4KTV, I'm afraid to say you're likely to be stuck using the cheap HDMI converters from Amazon.

There's only so much you can do really with the picture when using these retro consoles on a modern display. Nothing is going to beat playing it on a CRT display it was designed for. I've heard of people picking up CRTs from Facebook marketplace for free since some people just want to get rid of them. 

Some of the higher end devices are nice with the scanline options. The only downside is they don't play well with games that use multiple resolutions

41 minutes ago, rebelkiller93 said:

That's the thing though...I'm not looking to alter the picture, just get it to display. I don't mind playing an N64 in all its low resolution glory, it just needs to display and play correctly (4:3 and no input lag). 

I mean, don't get me wrong...having something like the Retrotink that can actually properly upscale an N64 into HD and still make it play well is great and all...but the price is just too much. I found an N64 bundle with 2 controllers and 5 games (4 of which I actually want) for $155. But then paying about another $100 just to play it? It's kind of defeating the purpose of finding it for a good price. That's not even counting other games or things like a memory card, rumble pak or the expansion pak I might need later. 

I know retro gaming is becoming an expensive hobby these days, but it sucks that there nothing out there that can just do the bare minimum without also practically being a piece of crap bordering on scamming people who buy it. 

Edited by Viper

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

They also add horrible input lag and don't keep the correct aspect ratio of 4:3. Retrorgb has a video about it

If you want to play on the correct aspect ratio and zero input lag, the only real options are devices like retrotink/framemeister/OSSC, however it's not really cost effective if you're only using 1 non-hd console

@ViperI have an old enko av to hdmi converter if you want it though, just have to pay the shipping

Nearly forgot, there's also the RAD2x which is based off of the retrotink, but a lot less expensive

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-CABLES/Nintendo-RAD2X/SUPER-NINTENDO-PAL-GAMECUBE-N64-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-CABLE

Because Youtubers are definitely always a trustworthy source of information. They always do rigorous research and absolutely never exaggerate or lie in order to get views.

Yeah, some of them are bad, some are good. Some are going to have issues, some aren't. Same with basically everything. That's why you read the customer reviews. The video is clearly about bad ones because no one would want to watch a video where they just say that it works as intended. The one I used to use worked fine and had an option to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio. When I bought a new TV I got one RCA so I wouldn't have to have it take up an extra outlet anymore.

18 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Because Youtubers are definitely always a trustworthy source of information. They always do rigorous research and absolutely never exaggerate or lie in order to get views.

Yeah, some of them are bad, some are good. Some are going to have issues, some aren't. Same with basically everything. That's why you read the customer reviews. The video is clearly about bad ones because no one would want to watch a video where they just say that it works as intended. The one I used to use worked fine and had an option to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio. When I bought a new TV I got one RCA so I wouldn't have to have it take up an extra outlet anymore.

Normally I'd be inclined to agree about youtubers, but retrorgb is experts when it comes to retro consoles and getting the best quality of your systems

https://www.retrorgb.com/systems.html

https://www.retrorgb.com/gettingstarted.html

https://www.retrorgb.com/rgbguide.html

10 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

Anyone recommend a good hdmi converter? I’d love to get my GameCube working with my modern tv. Maybe the Dreamcast too

For the dreamcast, the DCDigital kit if you want the best possible picture https://8bitmods.com/mod-kits/sega/dreamcast/dreamcast-hdmi-dchdmi-kit/, otherwise VGA box going into either an OSSC or Retrotink. For the gamecube, do you have the DOL-001 with the digital port, or the revision DOL-101 that removed it?

8 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I have a real one of these and not a knock off, it runs fine. Retro RGB  is using a knock off and I let him know this back when this video was new. I also have retrotink 5x pro, 4k photo fast, mclassic and multiple pound/levelhike cables so It's not like I'm new to doing this. You can also use this scart converter (If Real) to upscale 720p Hdmi to 1080p hdmi.

10 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

I have a real one of these and not a knock off, it runs fine. Retro RGB  is using a knock off and I let him know this back when this video was new. I also have retrotink 5x pro, 4k photo fast, mclassic and multiple pound/levelhike cables so It's not like I'm new to doing this. You can also use this scart converter (If Real) to upscale 720p Hdmi to 1080p hdmi.

Okay so are there any of the cheaper, more stock RCA to HDMI converters floating around on Amazon that you'd actually recommend? 

Even checking Retrotink right now, their 2X Mini (the one made for SNES and N64) is out of production due to chip shortage according to their site, so I couldn't get it from them if I wanted to right now and people on eBay trying to sell it for double. 

@SnowxSakura Alright so, I had a pretty good Christmas in terms of getting money from relatives. And...against my better judgement...I'm actually considering getting the Retrotink 2X (the Mini is out of production). Is there anything else I need for it? The N64 bundle I'm looking at only comes with the stock composite cables, is that enough? Should I get the S-Video cable add-on with the Retrotink? I'm not sold on getting this yet as this little box will cost almost as much as the N64, but I'd rather know everything I'd need to get it working right. 

On 12/24/2022 at 1:31 AM, Viper said:

Okay so are there any of the cheaper, more stock RCA to HDMI converters floating around on Amazon that you'd actually recommend? 

Even checking Retrotink right now, their 2X Mini (the one made for SNES and N64) is out of production due to chip shortage according to their site, so I couldn't get it from them if I wanted to right now and people on eBay trying to sell it for double. 

That's a really good point you have and I don't have an answer. I got lucky owning all this stuff before the "new world" started. There is a load of options from Amazon and a few that look the same as the one Retro RGB has used. So at the time of that video that one was popular however knock offs where starting to show. Maybe get something like this? I use a few of these for various systems.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-HDTV-Cable-GameCube-N64-Super/dp/B07SCPHHVB/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3E907FZSUXR9I&keywords=Hyperkin+3+in+1+HDTV+Cable+for+Super+NES+%2F+N64+%2F+GameCube&qid=1672203226&sprefix=hyperkin+3+in+1+hdtv+cable+for+super+nes+%2F+n64+%2F+gamecube%2Caps%2C296&sr=8-1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melodicmizery said:

use the same roms and emulators on a laptop or computer, and then use the hdmi input on your laptop to your tv

It's just not the same though and particularly for someone that grew up with these. However with cost constraints it's a better alternative for some. To be honest it's cost me a small fortune to set up my retro collection.

You could use RetroArch this is some app you van use on mobile , pc , consoles, you van het lot of retrogames , Gameboy , N64 , SEGA , PS1 and they are alle working with achievements. Also there is An achievements leaderboard for it.

It migth not completly what you are looking for but maybe in a good direction.

Kind Regards