PS4 version won't upgrade to PS5

Platinum_Vice

If I understand correctly, Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the PS4 games that allows for a free upgrade to PS5, right?

20230102-100341.jpg

This is what my screen looks like when I insert either the data disc or the game disc.

- The game has fully copied/installed from the discs.

- Updates have all been fully downloaded.

- I have restarted my console.

- I've restored my licenses twice.

I expect that playing the game would be the PS4 version, not the PS5 version, based on the logo in the top right corner and the advertisement to upgrade for $34AUS in the bottom right corner.

Other PS4 discs that I own such as Disco Elysium and Horizon Forbidden West allowed me to upgrade for free from the same location in the bottom right corner of the screen. Uncharted: Legact of Thieves allowed me to upgrade for $10 from that location.

Am I crazy? Cyberpunk 2077 is supposed to be a free upgrade, right?

I don't know what I am doing wrong/haven't done and I can't find any solutions online at all.

The only abnormality that I could suggest is that this PS4 copy is pre-owned and that the prior owner has already 'claimed/purchased' the PS5 upgrade for this disc... but I didn't think it worked like that.

Any suggestions PSNP??

Cheers

I'm assuming you tried this, but just in case, sometimes other versions of a game are available with the "..." next to "Play Game". Otherwise, I've heard of issues where you can't upgrade if the disc is a different region than the account. So if you got a US or UK copy, that may be the issue. It's possible the offer also isn't available in your region, or that the offer isn't valid anymore.

6 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

I'm assuming you tried this, but just in case, sometimes other versions of a game are available with the "..." next to "Play Game".

I just tried this - no luck.

6 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Otherwise, I've heard of issues where you can't upgrade if the disc is a different region than the account. So if you got a US or UK copy, that may be the issue.

I think this is what it will be. Despite buying it from a store it is still pre-owned. I just checked it: there's an ESRB stamp hidden underneath an Australian Classification Board STICKER.

Old Man Yells at Cloud | Know Your Meme

That's just cruel and unusual punishment.

Thanks for helping with the diagnosis. 

• Like 2

Ok, thanks for make me unwrap my ps4 copy, in fact I even had forgotten where I originally put it. 

Back on topic, Idk how Australian copies were burnt, but in my case, my Western copy has TWO discs, First Disc (Install disc) and Second disc (Play disc).

Now I'm going to install and I'll let you know about my findings.

Edit: As I thought, You need to insert first the Install disc, then going to the 3 Dots you'll find the Free upgrade which I'm downloading right now, I guess once the installation is finished I just swap to the other disc to play the game..

So my advice would be to look for Unboxing videos of your game, good luck. what I big game, still more than one hour to download the whole thing.

Edited by GoldenShaka

40 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

I just tried this - no luck.

I think this is what it will be. Despite buying it from a store it is still pre-owned. I just checked it: there's an ESRB stamp hidden underneath an Australian Classification Board STICKER.

Old Man Yells at Cloud | Know Your Meme

That's just cruel and unusual punishment.

Thanks for helping with the diagnosis. 

Luckily there's a workaround for the different region problem. If you make a US account and insert the disc using that account, you can download the PS5 version. Then you can just switch back to your normal account and play it that way.

• Like 1