Help with mahjong

Sniper-MML

Hello. I learned mahjong during few hours ans i don't understand why i can't win in example in this 3 situations.... i think there is a problem or a rule i don't know. Someone have the explanation ? 

Moreover, in 5 hours i never be able to do a single "riichi". Is there a button like yakuza 0 ? 

thanks ??????

Hello. I learned mahjong during few hours ans i don't understand why i can't win in example in this 3 situations.... i think there is a problem or a rule i don't know. Someone have the explanation ? 

Moreover, in 5 hours i never be able to do a single "riichi". Is there a button like yakuza 0 ? 

thanks ??????

1d6c0f1c60824182abfba8aa11d3716c.jpg

f12860bc17164277ba359a92a08bc59c.jpg

d12fcea624b915a12bc8a1878e5a40f2.jpg

If you want to steal from other players just don't have any terminals (1s and 9s) or honors (dragons and winds). Just have numbers, bamboos or coins from 2 to 8. That way you can build one of the easiest open hands, tanyao: ttps://riichi.wiki/Tanyao

But unless you don't really have anything at all and just want to try to at least get something, don't steal.

For riichi you have to press square. Make a habit of pressing square every time it's your turn, just in case you can riichi and you didn't notice.

• Like 2

Idk if this will help or not but what helped me learn how to play Mahjong were the tiles that you can make a sequence with. I always looked at that or paid attention to pairs or triplets. I just learned how to play not too long ago. And its all thanks to the folks in sessions on this site. Also, make sure to press square whenever its your turn. You might not know that you can declare Riichi

So everybody is out here saying don't/never steal without actually giving a solid reason why your hand didn't win. 

Looking at your meld, you cannot win because It's open and is not worth any points from the list of hands that are available. From the hand that you have, you could've went for Pinfu or for Tanyao to win and that MUST be closed for it to count. (I.e no stealing). It's worth noting that in the settings menu, you can actually turn the kuitan rule on so you can win with an open hand for Tanyao. 

Pinfu: no points hand. This requires that ALL of your pieces are made in a way that they're sequences with a pair. For example, you cannot have a triplet as shown by your hand. You also cannot have any honour (dragon and wind) tiles. There is also a more nuanced rule in that the final piece you're waiting for 1) must NOT be a pair but part of a sequence. 2) that piece cannot be the middle of a sequence. For example, say you had 7,9 and was waiting for an 8, then it wouldn't count. It would only count if you had 7,8 and was waiting for a 6 or 9 piece to complete the sequence. 

Tanyao: all simples hand. This hand requires that you form a hand with numbers from 2-8, again with no honour tiles. The interesting thing is that you can form triplets here and that's fine as long as you stick to numbers from 2-8. 

-------------------------------------

Stealing can be actually very very useful but only if you know what you're doing.

For example, I like to steal when I'm trying to amass triplets and or want to bank hard on the Dora. You just have to be careful what type of hands you can get away with stealing.

Wind tiles are worth the same (1 han per triplet) if hidden or open but you have to make sure your seat wind and prevalent wind matches. Also, if the seat wind and prevalent winds are identical (i.e what's shown in the 2nd and 3rd screenshots), then if you get South and East triplets respectively, that's worth 2 han!

For dragons, they're more lenient and any triplet whether stolen or concealed is worth 1 han allowing you to win even when stealing. 

But consider this scenario, where stealing might be very useful:

say you had two red dragons in that hand in that 3rd screenshot you showed.  You can then call a pon to steal and get a triplet. Not only do you get a point for a red dragon triplet, but you get 3 points because of the Dora indicator! And even better, say you're stealing to get an all triplets hand, then all of a sudden, your hand becomes worth 6 han!! 

------

Good luck on your mahjong journey. It's really fun once you start to understand the mechanics :)

Edited by PooPooBlast
  • Like 2

TLDR noob version because I can only win with Riichi:

Get 3 tiles in a row (1-2-3 // 4-5-6) or 6-6-6 // 3-3-3 etc or like 3 same color dragons.

Make sure you also get a double.

After every turn just press square and hope Riichi pops up.

Saved me in a few yakuza games so far :P