Internet Connection: WTF

Azakos

So I wasn't really sure of the correct place to post this, but this'll do.

The age old question: Why is my internet connection so slow?

My family has gone through a few ISP's in our time, and we're currently with Cox. I've noticed through my entire life that my internet connection has always been slow, no matter the house or ISP. I haven't really done anything about it, but I'm hoping that's about to change. It's got me wondering, is it possible that there's something wrong on our end? Is it possible to have an improper setup or something else that could be causing our connection to be so slow?

I'm from Arizona, and took this speed test from my laptop on a wireless connection, literally about ten feet away from the router:

1634462025.png

Slower than 89% of the US. That's pretty damn awful. Other friends of mine who live no more than ten minutes away and have the same ISP score in excess of 15-20 Mb/s for download speed. You'll notice that mine doesn't even reach 1.

Granted, that was a wireless connection, but surely that's terrible regardless. Wired connection sucks as well. My PS3 is wired via ethernet cable and is literally about 5 feet away from the router. At 6:08 PM on December 6th I started downloading the Back to Karkland DLC for Battlefield 3. It's 1326 MB in size. It is now 12:46 AM of December 7th, and it's only at 822 MB/1326 MB, 61%. After almost 7 hours and it's a little over halfway done. My friend downloaded it in less than 20 minutes, and he's on a wireless connection.

Before I go chewing off customer service's ass here, I want to make sure nothing is goof'd on my end. Anything you guys recommend I check first? Do's and don't's? Etc?

First some points:

- You can rule out bandwith throttling, since you have changed ISPs,

- Ps3 internet speed is slower than PC, I downloaded the GT5 spec 2 update and it took me 3 hours, it would have taken me less than 10 mins on a computer.

1) What modem are you using? is it a router and modem in one? or seperate? and is it old or new? the modem could be slow and unable to handle the speed due to age.

- Try putting the modem in the freezer for 5 mins, and turn off your PC in that time, (yes the freezer) then start it all up, wait 10 mins and see of the internet speed goes up at all, you could be overworking and overheating your modem

2) check ALL other connections, wires, ethernet cables, phone lines, filters, CHECK IT ALL, you could have one faulty or OLD thing ruining the system. Check ALL parts. (including the phone(s))

- You may need to simply buy some newer gear.

3) Call your ISP helpline/ service, they can have insight and my ISP has been very helpful in the past.

4) Last but not least, as a last resort, call in a techy, This is an absolute last resort and I hope it doesnt come to this but you never know.

• Like 1

Hey Az, do you know how to access your Routers Control Panel? If so, see if there is someone leaching your signal.

It should be listed under the DNS Server Clients or something similar. Look for computer/accessory names that aren't from your household. Password protected or not, it really only takes 5 minutes to bypass most routers' security to hook up to someone else's signal.

If you see an odd/unknown entry, block the MAC address.

Also, see if your Modem has a user interface (many do nowadays), and see it the line filter is locked.....if so, unlock it.

I wish I could pin-point the issue, but yeah, those speeds are pretty much dial-up speeds.

I am not sure how familiar you are with computer maintenance and dealing with Reg files and the like. If you have some familiarity, there are a few things to try that will help. If so, let me know.

If you are not overly familiar with such, call a computer tech (not those God awful putz's from Best Buy or Staples), go with a private party.

• Like 1

Hey Az, do you know how to access your Routers Control Panel? If so, see if there is someone leaching your signal.

It should be listed under the DNS Server Clients or something similar. Look for computer/accessory names that aren't from your household. Password protected or not, it really only takes 5 minutes to bypass most routers' security to hook up to someone else's signal.

If you see an odd/unknown entry, block the MAC address.

Also, see if your Modem has a user interface (many do nowadays), and see it the line filter is locked.....if so, unlock it.

I wish I could pin-point the issue, but yeah, those speeds are pretty much dial-up speeds.

I am not sure how familiar you are with computer maintenance and dealing with Reg files and the like. If you have some familiarity, there are a few things to try that will help. If so, let me know.

If you are not overly familiar with such, call a computer tech (not those God awful putz's from Best Buy or Staples), go with a private party.

Yeah, I'm not very familiar with this kind of stuff. However, I do think this stops others from accessing our internet connection:

wzz7j.png

Yeah, I'm not very familiar with this kind of stuff. However, I do think this stops others from accessing our internet connection:

wzz7j.png

Unfortunately that's only your PC'c internet connection. That setting is for ICS and the like if you want to share your internet connection. More than likely you can't access your Modem (it's probably a pass through bridged setup). Your router should be accessible though.

Your router's default info (if you didn't customize anything) should be as follows:

IP Addr:......192.168.1.1

Username:..admin

Password:...admin

You can open a web browser and type http://192.168.1.1 in to the address bar and hit ENTER

Here's a great resource for how to set up your router for the Playstation Network: http://portforward.c...ion_Network.htm

Also, make sure you have QoS turned off (that can really mess with your bandwidth limitations)

Hope this helps!

P.S. What speed are you subscribed to through your ISP? 1.5Mbps down and 384Kbps Up? <--- is your standard (basic) DSL package speeds and your screenshot is fairly consistent with that... you never get the full speed you're subscribed to.

• Like 1

Okay just as a little update, GTR says that my internet connection is being leeched, so I plan on calling Cox when I get home from school to set up a password and other security stuff.

Here's a great resource for how to set up your router for the Playstation Network: http://portforward.c...ion_Network.htm

What is the benefit of port forwarding? That site explained what it is, but it left out how it helps. I'm assuming it makes data sending more direct, which in turn should lead to a better connection, less lag, etc. online.

Also, make sure you have QoS turned off (that can really mess with your bandwidth limitations)

I'll be back later to ask about this.

P.S. What speed are you subscribed to through your ISP? 1.5Mbps down and 384Kbps Up? <--- is your standard (basic) DSL package speeds and your screenshot is fairly consistent with that... you never get the full speed you're subscribed to.

I'll find out later when I call Cox. Now when you say, "you never get the full speed you're subscribed to," do you mean me specifically and that's a problem, or just people in general?

What is the benefit of port forwarding? That site explained what it is, but it left out how it helps. I'm assuming it makes data sending more direct, which in turn should lead to a better connection, less lag, etc. online.

You are correct. That site has specific port forwarding options for various games, psn, et cetera. The benefit of setting these up is for a better NAT connection via your PS3. This assumes that you have not completely disabled the firewall in the router, of course. If you run a Internet connection test from the PS3, what are your stats?

• NAT Type:
  • Upload Speed:
  • Download Speed:
  • UPnP:

... mostly out of curiosity. If you are behind a router (as in your specific case - and mine), the best NAT type you can get is 2. If you put your PS3 into a DMZ, you are supposed to be able to get NAT Type 1 (which is the best). These play a factor in how you connect to the PSN, chat, Ping/lag for online, and all the other jazz. The link I sent you was specifically for the PSN ports. NAT Type 3 will have issues with connecting to friends, chat...

I'll find out later when I call Cox. Now when you say, "you never get the full speed you're subscribed to," do you mean me specifically and that's a problem, or just people in general?

More of a general statement that pertains to everybody. The package one buys is the maximum bandwidth the ISP will provide for the connection to the modem.... the actual bandwidth one gets/uses fluctuates.

More of a general statement that pertains to everybody. The package one buys is the maximum bandwidth the ISP will provide for the connection to the modem.... the actual bandwidth one gets/uses fluctuates.

That statement is something too many people don't understand, and BMJ is correct. If your service says "up to 1.5mbs", that is the possible maximum that it will get, and under law (in the US) as long as there is 2 instances in a 365 day time period the speeds reach that maximum, the service providers have, by law, lived up to their contractual agreement.

However, one can expect to get about 2/3rds that speed in actual performance on a regular basis.

Also, I would just toss your PS3 into the DMZ rather than worrying about port forwarding, much easier.

Wow, that's not good... do you have internet at all? Does your PS3 Sign in to the PSN?

Earlier today my internet has been cutting in and out, which is weird even by my bad standards. Still have to call Cox... complications came up.

Wow. So I called Cox and they had the simplest solution ever...

My parents are paying for the basic package.

Well, fml. Sorry for everyone's wasted efforts on my part. Can't believe that's what it came down to.

You are correct. That site has specific port forwarding options for various games, psn, et cetera. The benefit of setting these up is for a better NAT connection via your PS3. This assumes that you have not completely disabled the firewall in the router, of course. If you run a Internet connection test from the PS3, what are your stats?

• NAT Type:
  • Upload Speed:
  • Download Speed:
  • UPnP:

... mostly out of curiosity. If you are behind a router (as in your specific case - and mine), the best NAT type you can get is 2. If you put your PS3 into a DMZ, you are supposed to be able to get NAT Type 1 (which is the best). These play a factor in how you connect to the PSN, chat, Ping/lag for online, and all the other jazz. The link I sent you was specifically for the PSN ports. NAT Type 3 will have issues with connecting to friends, chat...

Putting the ps3 in dmz does not give you nat 1. You can only get nat 1 if your ps3 is directly connected to the modem.

Nah, it's all good Az.

Although the slow speeds suck, at least it isn't your equipment or PC (or people stealing your bandwidth) that is at fault.

Yeah. It's just pretty bullshit 'cause my parents pay double for their iPhone data plans and will only put out $15 for their 1 mbps. >_>

Putting the ps3 in dmz does not give you nat 1. You can only get nat 1 if your ps3 is directly connected to the modem.

:hmm: interesting. Thanks for that info :highfive:

Nah, it's all good Az.

Although the slow speeds suck, at least it isn't your equipment or PC (or people stealing your bandwidth) that is at fault.

Indeed. At least it's a simple issue that could be resolved with a little more investment.

Yeah. It's just pretty bullshit 'cause my parents pay double for their iPhone data plans and will only put out $15 for their 1 mbps. >_>

:shakefist:

On the bright side though, Santa is coming... maybe he will bring you a faster Internet plan, haha.

Well, you know the solution for that, right?

Pay for it yourself. ;)

You can't really complain if they are the ones footing the bill.

Fyi. Your hardware is crap.

Does Cox support Docsis 3.+ yet? If they do get a Motorola SB6120 Modem, and at least a better brand router. I'd suggest the higher end Netgear stuff.

Edit, my bad, didn't see the whole DSL part...

Switch to cable. LoL