What’s the best games on PSVR 2?

Master_Mayhem_

20 hours ago, Master_Mayhem_ said:

I’m looking at getting my PSVR 2 in the summer, once I have worked through my backlog of PSVR 1 games, I have always been a sucker for a sale and just kept on buying games lol.

What would your choices be of the best games to showcase PSVR 2?

I've not personally played this but heard great things about it - Pistol Whip.

Gaming Trend Review

Open Critic Review 

• Like 1

I played pistol whip on vr2 for 25 minutes. Never played it before. It was pretty damn cool. But the next two days my thighs were sore as all hell. If I had to crouch at work to grab something, or pick something up on the ground, it took me about 20 to 30 careful seconds to do It. 

I'm not super out of shape but I don't really exercise either. So, just a heads up. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VenlafaxineHead said:

Horizon & Gran Turismo. 

TBH I haven't played a lot of Horizon because I'm lazy and prefer to game sitting down... but it is graphically impressive for VR. 

It's possible to play Horizon in 'sitting down' mode. But you'll still be holding your arms high a lot of the time for the climbing. After 30mins to an hour my arms get sore from keeping them up most of the time. And playing the game the day after workout day with focus on arms/upper body... bad idea! ?

• Like 1

I haven't tried all the good ones yet, but the most impressive ones I saw were definitely Resident Evil 8 and Horizon VR. Gran Turismo 7 in VR is also at that high level, and it is obviously the only +100 hours long game available on psvr2. However, if you are not a fan of racing sims (which is my case) you would do better getting RE8 and Horizon CotM first. The graphics in Horizon VR are extremely good. The only other VR games I have seen with graphics at that level were Half-life Alyx (pc vr) and Kayak VR (psvr2). However, Kayak is just a kayak rowing simulator with nothing else going on (really beautiful and relaxing locations, but it's still just rowing around), so, Horizon VR is a much better game. And I think that Horizon looks so good that it's probably in a tie with Kayak (for top vr graphics) and a little above HL Alyx in the realistic-looking environments. It seems to be 80% mountain climbs and 20% battles and the rest though, so, at the end of the day, the most impressive one in the VR2 library (counting graphics, gameplay, and the experience itself) is probably Resident Evil 8. And this opinion comes from someone who doesn't even like survival horror games, so, you can imagine how impressive RE8 feels when I'm putting it that high. In fact, it's even more impressive than the new Resident Evil 4 Remake demo, if you ask me.

People also say Pavlov is superb, but I haven't tried it yet. So, based on what I have seen, all the demos I tried, my many psvr1 experiences, etc., this would be my recommended getting-started list for a psvr2 player that wants to be impressed:

For those who also played psvr1:

Horizon VR, RE8, GT 7 (especially if you like sim racing, it's a 10/10 VR game for racing fans, but be aware that it's still a sim racing game, and if you never liked those that's not going to change because you are playing the best one in VR; that's why I haven't played it much, but I still recommend it because it is impressive-looking indeed), Pavlov

For those who are 100% new to all VR and didn't enter the VR gaming scene with the psvr1, add these psvr1 remasters to the list above:

Moss 1+2, Pistol Whip, Synth Riders (note: activate the Spin 180 modifier to take this game's gameplay to the next level on psvr2), Job Simulator (note: don't be fooled by its boring name, this was and is more fun than its sequel, Vacation Simulator)

You should also try the psvr2 demos available in psn. Based on the demos, I would say that the Star Wars VR game is a really good choice after the ones I mentioned. The talking parts weren't anything special, but the missions and the combat with laser pistols (blasters?) were surprisingly good. Song in the Smoke's VR2 demo also felt very good (I never played it on psvr1). I would say Song in the Smoke is more of my survival type of game than RE8, so I will try it eventually. Horizon and RE8 are still the only ones that made me go "holy crap, this is next level!" in psvr2. And it's worth noting that although I don't own pc vr now, I did play Half-life Alyx with an HTC Vive Cosmos, a couple of years ago, so I can really judge these vs. the best in VR. RE8 is at HL Alyx levels (top in VR), without a doubt, and Horizon is even better in the realistic graphics department, but not necessarily in the gameplay (half of the game is a climbing simulator).

Edited by ValkerianCreator
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Before your eyes is a good game, is a quick one but is very deep. In the end I was just crying very beatifull game, but 1 trophy is buggy so if you want to go down for the trophy is better not play this one. Pistol Whip is a very good game too, more arcade, but you can wake up with your legs with pain. 

• Like 1

This list is from Pushsquare users...

9.0 --- The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
9.0 --- Gran Turismo 7
8.8 --- The Walking Dead: Retribution
8.7 --- Pistol Whip
8.7 --- Resident Evil Village
8.6 --- Moss: Book II
8.6 --- Synth Riders
8.5 --- Tetris Effect
8.3 --- Moss
8.3 --- Pavlov
8.2 --- Horizon Call of the Mountain
8.0 --- Rez Infinite
8.0 --- Demeo
7.9 --- The Light Brigade
7.7 --- Thumper
7.6 --- Song in the Smoke
7.6 --- The Last Clockwinder
7.6 --- Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge
7.6 --- No Man's Sky
7.6 --- Puzzling Places

7.4 --- Townsmen VR
7.3 --- Zombieland: Headshot Fever
7.3 --- Swordsman
7.2 --- Before Your Eyes
7.1 --- Kayak VR: Mirage
7.1 --- Ragnarock
7.0 --- Job Simulator
7.0 --- Creed: Rise to Glory
7.0 --- Drums Rock
6.9 --- After the Fall
6.8 --- Cities: VR
6.8 --- What the Bat?
6.8 --- Tentacular
6.7 --- Vacation Simulator
6.7 --- Runner
6.6 --- Cave Digger 2: Dig Harder
6.6 --- The Dark Pictures: Switchback
6.6 --- The Tale of Onogoro
6.5 --- Unplugged: Air Guitar
6.2 --- Cosmonious High
6.1 --- Zenith: The Last City
5.8 --- Jurassic World Aftermath Collection
5.7 --- Garden of the Sea
5.5 --- Awesome Asteroids
5.3 --- Gorn
5.3 --- Startenders
5.1 --- Dyschronia: Chronos Alternate
5.1 --- Fantavision202X

4.9 --- 2MD: VR Football
4.9 --- NFL Pro Era
4.8 --- Kizuna AI - Touch the Beat!
4.6 --- Cactus Cowboy: Plants at War
4.4 --- Altair Breaker

And this image is about the games with more users in psntrophyleaders...

listavr2.jpg

Edited by geunc
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, geunc said:

This list is from Pushsquare users...

9.0 --- The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
9.0 --- Gran Turismo 7
8.8 --- The Walking Dead: Retribution
8.7 --- Pistol Whip
8.7 --- Resident Evil Village
8.6 --- Moss: Book II
8.6 --- Synth Riders
8.5 --- Tetris Effect
8.3 --- Moss
8.3 --- Pavlov
8.2 --- Horizon Call of the Mountain
8.0 --- Rez Infinite
8.0 --- Demeo
7.9 --- The Light Brigade
7.7 --- Thumper
7.6 --- Song in the Smoke
7.6 --- The Last Clockwinder
7.6 --- Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge
7.6 --- No Man's Sky
7.6 --- Puzzling Places

7.4 --- Townsmen VR
7.3 --- Zombieland: Headshot Fever
7.3 --- Swordsman
7.2 --- Before Your Eyes
7.1 --- Kayak VR: Mirage
7.1 --- Ragnarock
7.0 --- Job Simulator
7.0 --- Creed: Rise to Glory
7.0 --- Drums Rock
6.9 --- After the Fall
6.8 --- Cities: VR
6.8 --- What the Bat?
6.8 --- Tentacular
6.7 --- Vacation Simulator
6.7 --- Runner
6.6 --- Cave Digger 2: Dig Harder
6.6 --- The Dark Pictures: Switchback
6.6 --- The Tale of Onogoro
6.5 --- Unplugged: Air Guitar
6.2 --- Cosmonious High
6.1 --- Zenith: The Last City
5.8 --- Jurassic World Aftermath Collection
5.7 --- Garden of the Sea
5.5 --- Awesome Asteroids
5.3 --- Gorn
5.3 --- Startenders
5.1 --- Dyschronia: Chronos Alternate
5.1 --- Fantavision202X

4.9 --- 2MD: VR Football
4.9 --- NFL Pro Era
4.8 --- Kizuna AI - Touch the Beat!
4.6 --- Cactus Cowboy: Plants at War
4.4 --- Altair Breaker

And this image is about the games with more users in psntrophyleaders...

listavr2.jpg

What a brilliant in-depth response. Thank you for taking the time to respond in so much detail. Looks like I will have plenty to keep me busy once I get my PSVR 2.

Edited by Master_Mayhem_
Added comment
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

This is a reddit post I submitted a few weeks back that you might find interesting.

The current state of PSVR2 is unfortunately, that only a tiny fraction of the library comes even close to what the potential of the headset is. But still, there are several cool games to play, it's definitly a worthwhile investment.

Btw., I recently played a few hours of PSVR1 too, after seeing you as recent player in a few older titles that finally got un-bugged. Good hunting! :)

• Like 2

So far of the games I played, here goes!

I loved these:

• Moss - Absolutely loved this game, can't say anything that is wrong with it (besides the no deaths trophy)
  • Job Simulator - Although it could have had more trophies that were creative, it was such a fun experience that didn't overstay its welcome and was just a ton of fun and very entertaining!
  • Gran Turismo 7 - This is honestly an incredible experience, even though I still think your car feels slightly smaller than it should be when sitting inside of it

Not a huge fan:

• Vacation Simulator - While Job Simulator was a ton of fun, Vacation Simulator ironically enough was a massive chore list of really repetitive and mind-numbing activities, especially if you're going for platinum. I wouldn't recommend it. Though the DLC is a lot of fun for this game and I think it's the developers sort of realizing the errors of their ways with the base games. If you don't care about the trophies I think you may have an hour or two of fun.
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain - While this game is graphically impressive and the first hour is fun, the game quickly turns into hours of endless climbing and annoying combat mechanics (trying to grab and eat apples from a small table that you easily overshoot while strafing while getting hit by a boss is beyond stupid). In the headset all the colors are seriously desaturated too which seems to strain my eyes and does a disservice to the visuals, not sure why they don't make it more vibrant in the headset because it looks great on the TV. While there are some undoubtedly great aspects of the gameplay I'd say honestly to not even bother with this game whether you get the trophies or not lol, maybe whenever the price is cut in half

Looking forward to playing Moss 2 and Walkabout Mini Golf, probably Beat Saber as well. Would love to see Sony's PSVR1 games ported over to PSVR2 as well like Blood & Truth, Astrobot, etc. Would also love to see games like Boneworks and Half Lyfe Alyx get added too. Curious about VR Skater coming out soon

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

Vacation Simulator - While Job Simulator was a ton of fun, Vacation Simulator ironically enough was a massive chore list of really repetitive and mind-numbing activities, especially if you're going for platinum. I wouldn't recommend it. Though the DLC is a lot of fun for this game and I think it's the developers sort of realizing the errors of their ways with the base games. If you don't care about the trophies I think you may have an hour or two of fun.

I recently platinumed it, and have mixed views. On the one hand it's better than Job Simulator, but the puzzles and things to do are quite annoying or impossible to know what you need to do without using a guide. It has its moments but fucking hell, why do I need to play one sand puzzle game for 3 hours and one ice crafting puzzle for another 3 hours. Those were just way too long, and difficult. And some of the cooking requirements, I mean, how in the hell do you figure what that hard to make out icon is? Also that rock climbing game was just bollocks, hated doing that and took me many tries, fell off a few times due to tracking issues.

All in all, less fun to play, it kind of spoils what made the original game great. Keep it simple stupid.

Original Job Simulator is fantastic but too short and Job Simulator is too long / too difficult.

Still, I did enjoy painting expletives and have them hung on the walls in various locations lol

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/05/2023 at 5:04 PM, OMG_ThisIsSoEz said:

This is a reddit post I submitted a few weeks back that you might find interesting.

The current state of PSVR2 is unfortunately, that only a tiny fraction of the library comes even close to what the potential of the headset is. But still, there are several cool games to play, it's definitly a worthwhile investment.

Btw., I recently played a few hours of PSVR1 too, after seeing you as recent player in a few older titles that finally got un-bugged. Good hunting! :)

You’ve done an amazing job with the Reddit reviews, very helpful. Thank you!