Why is the search engine so bad for finding games?

17 hours ago, HusKy said:

Yeah, "OR" works. Next update of PSNP+ update will improve refinement of 1-word search:

xhMHhZ7.png

Journey on PS3… Journey on PS4… Tractor Journey: Nitro?

Would be nice if the shovelware filter also applied to search results, toggled on by default.

• Like 1

I was looking for Japanese rail sim: journey to Kyoto last night. Didn’t show in the top ten results when doing Japanese rail sim or just journey to Kyoto. It is a god awful search engine. Anytime I use it, the stuff I’m looking for is buried with completely irrelevant stuff ahead of it.

4 minutes ago, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

I was looking for Japanese rail sim: journey to Kyoto last night. Didn’t show in the top ten results when doing Japanese rail sim or just journey to Kyoto. It is a god awful search engine. Anytime I use it, the stuff I’m looking for is buried with completely irrelevant stuff ahead of it.

I know the search engine isn't perfect, but most of the problems are purely user related. Don't use words like "of", "the", "and", "or", "to", etc.

Searching just the word "Kyoto" works fine:

LwWDugA.png

On 03/04/2023 at 6:29 PM, ChaoticFox9900 said:

God help you if you ever want to find a title in Japanese 

Yeah, I run into this problem too. Not just Japanese, but any language using characters outside the English alphabet. I think the search hasn't indexed such characters, or simply doesn't understand or allow for Unicode.

The stuff around using AND, OR etc. reminds me of how to search on old search engines like Yahoo! in the 90s.

• Like 1

The search engine is rather terrible.. thank god for workarounds in the form of third-party plugins. ?
PS Store search engine is shit too.

PSPrices implements a nice search engine that excludes irrelevant search results rather than throwing up everything that contains a single word in the search string: https://psprices.com/region-us/search/?q=shadow+of+the+colossus

This is how you implement good search.