Why is the search engine so bad for finding games?

5 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

When you add AND between every word you will get exact matches. So search for Shadow AND of AND the AND Colossus. It's a bit silly, but there you go.

You can also start using PSNP+, which adds a Refine button to the search form to perform the above action for you. It has a lot more goodies too.

That's a life hack I never knew, thanks pink hero.

6 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

When you add AND between every word you will get exact matches. So search for Shadow AND of AND the AND Colossus. It's a bit silly, but there you go.

lol this is very nonsensical 

in my personal experience, search functions works well the majority of the times. but sometimes even when I'm searching for a game it won't be listed as the first result.. it would still be somewhere on the first page tho

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

You can also start using PSNP+, which adds a Refine button to the search form to perform the above action for you. It has a lot more goodies too.

Ain’t that some shit. Thanks

1 hour ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Learned something new today, thanks!

For anyone that's interested, this is a common issue across tons of websites. It has to do with how the database query is created on the backend. Basically the AND / OR is used by the user to help build the query structure on the backend. Technically this can be done by the programmer, but it can be a pain. I avoid double and single quotes in search boxes due to the issues they can cause. Depending on how the website is programmed, this can provide weird results as the OP tried and ended up with "////////" at the start and end of their query. In my experience the //// is a result of the backend encoding characters the code doesn't understand.

An easy example to see things working properly would be "Assassin's Creed". If you enter this without the double quotes, you'll get results that include Assassin's Creed, Assassin's, Assassins, or Creed. The default appears to be OR on this website. There's nothing wrong with this, it just means that any guide with any of those words will be returned in the results unless AND is specified. Let's face it, how many guides have "of" and "the" in them. ?

It would probably be helpful if the results page listed tips and tricks for users to follow.

andANDthatsANDallANDfolks! ?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

I just type the game and trophies into Google. Pretty much always the first result. 

AND Google has how many developers being paid how much for that to work that way. Props to all web developers who can put together a website as useful as PSN Profiles.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

I just type the game and trophies into Google. Pretty much always the first result. 

Same, its easier to just type in everything into google.
I even google specific users ( Prometheous101 Psnprofiles) instead of syncing.( If I know they are on the site already.)

Edited by Prometheous101

14 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

14 hours ago, HusKy said:

^ What it looks like:

w0iwkWN.png

This is really good actually, but now how do we find one word titled games like Journey? I felt dumb, but AND Journey didn't work ?

Google search works, but it'd be handy to not have to leave the site.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Riiszk said:

This is really good actually, but now how do we find one word titled games like Journey? I felt dumb, but AND Journey didn't work 1f602.png

Google search works, but it'd be handy to not have to leave the site.

Easy, you search OR Journey AND ?

Seems a bit silly to me, but hey, it works! 

• Like 3