What are the differences between the HD remaster and the director's cut?

cy1999aek_maik

I believe the Director’s Cut is a special version of the original Resident Evil game from PS1 that introduced some minor updates and changes. New difficulty modes, remixed camera angles and enemy placements etc. This version is now accessible on PS4/PS5 thanks to the PlayStation Classics catalog on PS Premium. I’m not sure if it has trophies along with it, but I’d say probably not. I didn’t see a trophy list for the Director’s Cut here on PSNP anyways. I guess this version would be the way to go if you want to experience the original game as it was made.

On the other hand, Resident Evil HD (2015) is a high definition version of the 2002 remaster that was made for GameCube, and I believe it is widely considered to be the definitive way to play the game nowadays. From what I understand, it stays true to the original in almost every way, but makes some crucial changes to adapt the game for modern systems and make it a bit more accessible for newcomers. Among other things there are graphical and technical enhancements (1080p/30fps) that make it look and feel very nice, a modernized control system that does away with the old tank controls, trophy support for consoles etc.

Personally I don’t know anything about the Director’s Cut other than what I’ve read online. But I have played the HD version and it was fantastic. I would definitely recommend playing it, and unless you’re a longtime, hardcore RE fan who wants to experience the original version of the game, I think you will find RE HD to be far better experience than the Director’s Cut can offer.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

On the other hand, Resident Evil HD (2015) is a high definition version of the 2002 remaster that was made for GameCube

A slight correction here the 2015 version is the remaster while the 2002 Gamecube version is a remake not a remaster. Other than that you are correct it is considered the definite Resident Evil 1 by most people.

The Director's cut was a remaster of the original PS1 version with some added bits and some alterations. You could almost think of it as a "complete" edition though some prefer the original to the director's cut.

Edited by Void
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Void said:

A slight correction here the 2015 version is the remaster while the 2002 Gamecube version is a remake not a remaster. Other than that you are correct it is considered the definite Resident Evil 1 by most people.

The Director's cut was a remaster of the original PS1 version with some added bits and some alterations. You could almost think of it as a "complete" edition though some prefer the original to the director's cut.

Thank you! For some reason I tend to use the terms “remaster” and “remake” interchangeably when talking about this particular game. I only played it for the very first time a couple years ago, so I’ve found it a little bit confusing to read about it’s long history and all the different releases over the years since the original hit the market. I tried very hard to sound like I know what I’m talking about in this post but to be honest I have no idea lmao.

I actually fell in love with my Resident Evil remake platinum that I started playing DC even though it doesn't have trophies. Muscle memory didn't help much, items and routes are all different, but the core gameplay loop is surprisingly easy to pick up after the remake. It's even simpler in some ways - the remake introduced crimson heads, they came after you if you didn't burn bodies. 

If you're confused about stuff that's sold on PSN, what you see as Resident Evil here on PSNprofiles is the $19.99 version on the store, it is a HD remaster of the 2002 remake. That's the better game overall in many ways. The Director's Cut is (afaik) only available in the PS Plus subscription service currently, and it doesn't have trophies, unfortunately. It's still good, but it's pretty crude.