[Now Removed] Kona Leaving PS+ Extra on May 15/23

Swotam

Just a heads up to any PS+ Extra subscribers who might have this in their backlog, the game will be leaving the service on May 15, 2023. It’s available on PS4 and PS5 so you can stack the trophies if you’re interested.

The game is a walking simulator detective mystery with light survival elements. Getting all trophies on your own without using a guide requires a fair bit of exploration and patience, however there are some excellent walk through videos available. If you just want to be led through the story, I highly recommend this one that will help you get the Platinum in a few hours of playtime.

• Like 4

It’s nice of you to give people a heads up about this. I already played Kona back in the summer when I was combing through the catalog, but I absolutely loved it and would highly recommend it to anyone. It’s an excellent game, very relaxing to play, and has a short easy platinum to boot so there’s no reason for anyone not to play this before it leaves the catalog. ?

This is what I wrote in another discussion thread about this game right after I played it:

Kona is mostly a walking-simulator, but has some light survival elements (health, mental health, warmth) as well as some very light action, and an overall tone of mystery/horror. Where the game really excels though is in it’s atmosphere and storytelling. There’s a very haunting sense of isolation and loneliness as you explore the frigid wilderness town and gradually uncover the mystery of what happened to these people, broken up occasionally by a very enjoyable narration that describes what your character is seeing, thinking, and feeling. The soundtrack is great too and features local folk music that adds a unique Quebecois flavour.

The feeling that I got when playing Kona was very unique, and that experience sent me on a hunt to find similar games. Funnily enough, I have actually been playing The Long Dark over the past month and that is a direct result of playing Kona. TLD was the closest thing I could find in terms of look and feel, and I’ve been enjoying it immensely. Both games happen to be set in the desolate northern Canadian wilderness too which is neat, as despite the huge number of games Canada contributes to the industry, you almost never see games actually set here.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I'm done with Star Ocean and Chronos, this is the other game leaving Plus Extra that I really want to play before it does leave. Plenty of time left to do it fortunately, and I should get started today in the afternoon.