Chrono Trigger Remake is in Development, leaker claims

ziggypossum

capsule_616x353.jpg

“Yup. The beloved, masterful SNES masterpiece, Chrono Trigger, is getting a FULL remake. In HD 2D.

Details are scant at the moment, but it is coming to Nintendo Switch, not sure about other platforms at the moment.

A new Nintendo Direct will likely be airing in about 48 hours. I don't know when this is being announced, but we can hope and pray it's announced there.

Chrono Trigger is absolutely one of the greatest pieces of art to ever grace this planet. I cannot wait to see this in action. My god. I am shaking from excitement.”

https://zippospeaks.blogspot.com/2023/06/hes-back.html

Leaker Claims Chrono Trigger Remake is in Development

A frequent leaker claims that Square Enix could be working on a remake of Chrono Trigger, widely considered one of the best games ever made.

A frequent Nintendo leaker has made the bold claim that a Chrono Trigger remake is in development for the Nintendo Switch. Chrono Trigger is generally considered to be one of the best video games ever made, and so it's safe to say that a remake would generate significant interest.

Chrono Trigger originally released for the Super Nintendo in 1995 to rave reviews and was later ported to other platforms, including the PlayStation 1, Nintendo DS, mobile devices, and PC. Square Enix has hesitated to bring the original Chrono Trigger to platforms like the Switch, PS5, or Xbox Series X just yet. However, if the rumors about a Chrono Trigger remake being in development are true, perhaps that has something to do with it.

According to Nintendo leaker Zippo, Square Enix has a "full remake" of Chrono Trigger in the works. More specifically, it will be an HD-2D remake, ala the Dragon Quest 3 remake that's still in development. For those unfamiliar with those kinds of games, they basically mimic the art style of Square Enix's Octopath Traveler series. Before fans get too excited, though, they should definitely take this information with a massive grain of salt.

Zippo has only heard about the Chrono Trigger remake coming to the Nintendo Switch and is "not sure" about other platforms. It seems unlikely that Square Enix would go through the trouble of making a full-blown Chrono Trigger remake and then leave it on the Nintendo Switch, but it's possible that the game will be a timed-Switch exclusive, like Octopath Traveler before it. That's assuming it even exists, of course. It's entirely possible that the Chrono Trigger remake isn't real, and fans should definitely keep that in mind.

In the same blog post where they claimed that a Chrono Trigger remake is in development, Zippo also made the claim that a Nintendo Direct would "likely be airing in about 48 hours." This would come as a big surprise, as Nintendo has not announced any plans to host a Nintendo Direct this week, and proven insiders have suggested that such an event may not take place until September or thereabouts. Others think that a Nintendo Direct could happen at the end of this month or at some point next month. It should be noted that even though Zippo is under the impression that a Nintendo Direct is happening soon, that doesn't mean the rumored Chrono Trigger remake will be featured.

https://gamerant.com/chrono-trigger-switch-remake/

Edited by ziggypossum
fixed
  • Like 4

Zippo is 100% full of shit.

I wouldn't rule out a Chrono Trigger ever happening since Square is working through their back catalogue (Live a Live, Star Ocean 2, Dragon Quest 3, etc) but don't take anything Zippo has to say as a sign of things to come. He literally just makes things up.

For context:

Some actual leakers with proven track records have said a Nintendo Direct is expected to happen by June 23rd or sometime in early July. One of them said a new 2D Mario is set to be announced, along with a remake of a SNES game. Zippo is piggybacking off these leaks and throwing out Chrono Trigger as the SNES game getting a remake.

While some leakers can be unreliable because they are trigger happy with whatever they hear and don't bother to verify the information; Zippo just makes things up, he's not a leaker. No contacts, no sources, just his imagination.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ziggypossum said:

Zippo also made the claim that a Nintendo Direct would "likely be airing in about 48 hours."

44 minutes ago, Cloud_Squall78 said:

Talk about weird timing...

LOL

• Like 1

While I don't think Chrono Trigger should be remade since I don't trust Square Enix not to fuck it up, I would totally get it if it's true. Still, knowing our luck, probably will be Nintendo exclusive. xD Also, where's my Dragon Quest III HD, Square Enix?!

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ziggypossum said:

LOL

The Nintendo Direct was leaked by others (NateTheHate, Universo Nintendo, Pyoro_ND), Zippo is just piggybacking off actual leakers.

Don't think the Direct happening in any way gives him credibility, he has none.

Zippo being right about this would be like if Abandoned turned out to actually be a Kojima project. That's how totally bonkers it would be. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

While I don't think Chrono Trigger should be remade since I don't trust Square Enix not to fuck it up, I would totally get it if it's true. Still, knowing our luck, probably will be Nintendo exclusive. xD Also, where's my Dragon Quest III HD, Square Enix?!

gotta agree with you on this, anytime I hear that a game is being remade now-a-days my first question is "how are they going to fuck it up?"

3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

This is our chance to finally get some news, fingers crossed....gonna be pissed if it gets sacked.