Dead Space 3 Ultimate Edition

nino_mustdie

If I buy and download the Ultimate Edition on the PSN Store, will it allow coop to work?  I’m in the United States and I have an American account.  

I bought the game brand new today and it came with an online pass but it’s expired.  I then learned that the game doesn’t require an online pass anymore and it can be given for free or at least the patch update can enable coop.  So far it’s not working for me.  I tried reinstalling the patch but the game keeps asking me to redeem a code or buy the online pass (which is grayed out).  Not sure if the patch was supposed to enable coop already or prompt for an online pass and be given for free at the main menu.

This Xbox video I’ve seen on YouTube shows a player download the online pass for free at the Downloadable Content option at the main menu.  However I do not have that option.  Everything listed in this section is DLC content and nothing about an online pass.

Buying this physical edition seems like a waste of time and money if I could’ve just bought the Ultimate Edition and have that work for me.  The real gamble here is spending $30 on the Ultimate Edition, only to find out THAT doesn’t work either.  

If anyone can shed some light on this then that’d be greatly appreciated.  I’d like to get all the trophies.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nino_mustdie said:

If I buy and download the Ultimate Edition on the PSN Store, will it allow coop to work?  I’m in the United States and I have an American account.  

I bought the game brand new today and it came with an online pass but it’s expired.  I then learned that the game doesn’t require an online pass anymore and it can be given for free or at least the patch update can enable coop.  So far it’s not working for me.  I tried reinstalling the patch but the game keeps asking me to redeem a code or buy the online pass (which is grayed out).  Not sure if the patch was supposed to enable coop already or prompt for an online pass and be given for free at the main menu.

This Xbox video I’ve seen on YouTube shows a player download the online pass for free at the Downloadable Content option at the main menu.  However I do not have that option.  Everything listed in this section is DLC content and nothing about an online pass.

Buying this physical edition seems like a waste of time and money if I could’ve just bought the Ultimate Edition and have that work for me.  The real gamble here is spending $30 on the Ultimate Edition, only to find out THAT doesn’t work either.  

If anyone can shed some light on this then that’d be greatly appreciated.  I’d like to get all the trophies.

Have you checked the actual PlayStation store to see if there is an online pass for free? 

I played it many years ago.and it's the only thing I can think of

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fjyingturk said:

Have you checked the actual PlayStation store to see if there is an online pass for free? 

I played it many years ago.and it's the only thing I can think of

Yeah it’s there but the option to buy or download is not available 

51 minutes ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

I've checked my download list and didn't find any online pass for Dead Space 3...though I did buy the Ultimate edition for it in sale many years ago and was able to play online co-op fine back in 2021 when I platinumed this game.

Yeah I’ll have to try that this weekend.  I spoke to another player about this and apparently the North American version cannot be played if you have a physical disc.  It can only be done with a digital download of the game.  

I wonder if this is something new for 2023, because another player said their game disc was working fine when they got the trophies last year.  They just booted up the disc and the online pass was available at the main menu.

• Like 1

It’s official: getting the game digitally will work instead of the physical disc.  I got the Ultimate Edition but only downloaded the base game.  The game was able to load the coop menu without asking for an online pass.  If you live in North America, I suggest getting the digital version.  

Even if you get a brand new physical copy, the code inside won’t work and the game will keep asking you for an online pass.  Also, some EU players said this is not a problem for them with their physical discs but just in case, just stick with the digital version.  

Good luck.

Edited by nino_mustdie
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

@nino_mustdie I had the same issue. Physical copy and could not get online. Could not download it and it was faded out. I tried everything. So, I went on the store and downloaded the digital version of the game. (Which was free) There are two options one was free and one was 29.99. The free one also came with the online pass. Once I downloaded the digital game and the online pass, it worked on the disc version. I was able to get the coop trophies last night. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2023 at 8:19 AM, NickWart said:

@nino_mustdie I had the same issue. Physical copy and could not get online. Could not download it and it was faded out. I tried everything. So, I went on the store and downloaded the digital version of the game. (Which was free) There are two options one was free and one was 29.99. The free one also came with the online pass. Once I downloaded the digital game and the online pass, it worked on the disc version. I was able to get the coop trophies last night. 

Did severs still up?

@sebthegod The servers are still up.  I spoke to a friend that lives in Sweden and he was able to get his brand new EU copy working with the game code inside.  But I wasn't able to do that with my brand new NA copy that also had a game code inside.  Not sure if other regions are affected but to be safe, just buy the game on the PSN store.  You don't have to install the DLC yet until you've unlocked the The Devil Horns, which helps with Pure Survival Mode and Hardcore mode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nino_mustdie said:

@sebthegod The servers are still up.  I spoke to a friend that lives in Sweden and he was able to get his brand new EU copy working with the game code inside.  But I wasn't able to do that with my brand new NA copy that also had a game code inside.  Not sure if other regions are affected but to be safe, just buy the game on the PSN store.  You don't have to install the DLC yet until you've unlocked the The Devil Horns, which helps with Pure Survival Mode and Hardcore mode.

believe I'll be okay in this case. I have the digital version, and if my memory serves me right, I got it in the "free" games of the month a long time ago.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:15 AM, nino_mustdie said:

It’s official: getting the game digitally will work instead of the physical disc.  I got the Ultimate Edition but only downloaded the base game.  The game was able to load the coop menu without asking for an online pass.  If you live in North America, I suggest getting the digital version.  

Even if you get a brand new physical copy, the code inside won’t work and the game will keep asking you for an online pass.  Also, some EU players said this is not a problem for them with their physical discs but just in case, just stick with the digital version.  

Good luck.

I appreciate the info mate. I was going to order a physical copy off Amazon. Thanks!

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well apparently I completely forgot about all these online pass shenanigans and ended up ordering a used physical copy after all. Derrpp. Thankfully this thread caught my eye again when I was looking at the trophies once again, and I was able to cancel the order before it shipped. 😆

I’m assuming the Ultimate Edition also comes with the Awakened DLC?

On 9/22/2023 at 8:19 AM, NickWart said:

So, I went on the store and downloaded the digital version of the game. (Which was free) There are two options one was free and one was 29.99. The free one also came with the online pass.

There’s a free version u can download that comes with the online pass? Is this like a demo or are u referring to when it was free with PS+