The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan reportedly coming to US theaters in December

Pirelli913

Just now, HuntingFever said:

I'm ambivalent about this one. It could be good but It could also be a tedious, dialogue heavy slog so I'll wait for the reviews, then possibly pick up the twin pack when it hits home video.

I mean, considering it's coming to US theaters about 8 months after its premiere in Europe (it's out in a number of European countries now) you can probably already find reviews for it, albeit foreign in nature. IMDb has 30 reviews and they're all over the place with some 1s and 2s, a bunch of 8s, 9s, and 10s and some right in the middle (5s and 6s). So I guess take it with a grain of salt.

47 minutes ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

Well, at least it's a big middle finger to the acadamy's DEI initiative. I did not expect that. 

It will fail in the box office though. People, Americans especially, are so jaded with Hollywood right now. I think everyone is so sick of the lack of originality and creativity that the film industry once had. Hopefully we'll see a rise in indie films with small budgets that force creativity. 

Does anyone else miss practical effects? Miniatures, in-camera effects, stop motion dinosaurs? Stuff like that? I certainly do.

I don't miss stop motion, but I definitely miss practical effects in general. I'm kinda done with this over-reliance on CGI that studios have. It's gone wild in the last few years to the point where it either looks so cringe-cheap, or on the flip-side, is so hyper detailed and over saturated that it's almost impossible to differentiate everything that is going on in any given image. It's just so disposable nowadays. It's faster and cheaper to create a special effect on a computer, but then that leads to stuff like these CGI atrocities from The Flash movie that released recently:

Spoiler

F1QHnq1WYAAv7uw.jpg?width=931&height=468

Spoiler

F1QHnq3X0AExgjC.jpg?width=862&height=468

Edited by Buff_Cupcake

5 hours ago, Buff_Cupcake said:

I don't miss stop motion, but I definitely miss practical effects in general. I'm kinda done with this over-reliance on CGI that studios have. It's gone wild in the last few years to the point where it either looks so cringe-cheap, or on the flip-side, is so hyper detailed and over saturated that it's almost impossible to differentiate everything that is going on in any given image. It's just so disposable nowadays. It's faster and cheaper to create a special effect on a computer, but then that leads to stuff like these CGI atrocities from The Flash movie that released recently:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

CGI is not cheaper and faster than practical effects, FYI. Not even close. Why do you think the latest Indiana Jones movie, The Flash, or any other CGI heavy movie now cost $300+ million? The first Indie movie had a $20 million budget ($74 million today). So, there is literally no benefit to CGI heavy use. It's not cheaper, it's not faster, and it doesn't look better.

Man, you don't like stop motion? You need to see old Ray Harryhausen films. Masterpieces. Man was a genius. Clash of the Titans. All the Sinbad movies. All his fantasy movies. So good. So eye-pleasing too. Maybe because I grew up watching them being projected from an 8mm projector onto my bedroom wall, I have a soft spot for them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Buff_Cupcake said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

When the GCI in your 200+ million USD budget DC theatrical release looks worse than Injustice 2 cutscenes.

Whammy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

It's definitely not my Three Musketeers from my childhood. That movie is a classic

What's your Three Musketeers movie from your childhood? Mine was the 1993 Disney version starring Kiefer Sutherland and Charlie Sheen. I was 11 when it came out and remember seeing it with my dad while my sister and mom went to some ballet. To this day, I still love that movie.