How do I connect a second controller?

I can't believe this needs to be asked but, how do I connect a second controller for SvM?

It's not in the physical manual, nor in the game's options menu, there are no prompts on any of the mp screens, and I can't find a single post on the internet that would answer it.

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

Isn't it part of the single player campaign? You should be able to talk to people on the Paladin after the first mission.

The 2-player aspect I'm referring to is the Spies vs. Mercenaries online mp lobbies, not the main campaign co-op missions; you can access those from several different spots (SMI desk, pause menu, physically walk up to and talk to each person, etc).

When it comes to SvM, there are only two possible spots to "invite" a PSN friend, but zero points on either that reference anything to do with a second controller being available, invited, present, or even on. Both spots say "No friends on your list. Add friends on PSN."

I don't want to invite a friend from PSN. I just want to add a second controller.

I don't think "2nd controller" has quietly evolved to mean a second console, or second PSN ID, and nobody on the internet has hinted at it being that way, so that seems unlikey.

I also don't think the 2nd controller needs to be a separate user on the console, because nobody in the posts mentioned that either, and we've all dealt with the last 15 years of Douche and Douche(2) being in mp lobbies.

Le sigh.