SSB Wii U/3DS Direct news

Lady Lilith

http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/2014/04/live-video-watch-nintendos-super-smash-bros-focused-presentation-here.html/

ssbwiiu-620x348.jpg

Update: The stream has ended, though you can still watch it in its entirety below. Here are the highlights of what was said:

• The release date is summer 2014 for 3DS, and winter 2014 for Wii U.
  • 3DS version will run at 60 frames per second.
  • The character roster will be the same between both versions of the game, but each version will have exclusive stages.
  • The two versions will be able to connect to each other, but we’ll be told more “at a later date.”
  • There will be a host of both new and old stages in both games, including a “Living Room” stage on the Wii U. Finally, right? I’ve always wanted such an exotic location in my fantasy fighting game.
  • Wily’s Castle will be a Mega Man-themed level. This stage has a “Yellow Devil” boss character.
  • Both versions of the game will have online multiplayer. You can play only with friends or with strangers. They recommend the Wii U’s Ethernet adapter for a smooth experience.
  • When not playing with friends online, you can choose one of two modes: “For Fun” or “For Glory.”  In “For Fun” mode, you can play on almost any stage, and only your wins are recorded. In “For Glory” mode, you will only play on the Final Destination map, and both wins and losses are recorded. This seems like something that will appeal to tournament-level players.
  • The flat “Final Destination” map can now take on the appearance of any of the game’s other stages, giving a little more aesthetic variety while maintaining the “pure” layout of the stage.
  • Nintendo is planning to crack down on people abandoning matches before they’re finished, targeting on certain players, etc. You can report other players who are causing problems.
  • There is a “Global Smash Power” statistic that essentially serves as a leaderboard.
  • Assist trophies return, with Zelda’s Skull Kid, Metroid’s Dark Samus, Animal Crossing’s Isabel, Mega Man’s Elec Man, the Color TV-Game 15 (yeah, what?) and others shown as examples.
  • After using a “Final Smash,” characters no longer change forms, which means your move set won’t change mid-match.
  • Zero Suit Samus returns as a playable character, complete with new jet boots.
  • Other returning characters that were shown off include Zelda, Sheik (now a separate character from Zelda), Kirby, King Dedede, Lucario, Olimar and Pit.
  • Yoshi is confirmed as a returning character.
  • New (but previously announced) characters discussed in detail include Rosalina, Little Mac (who has a wireframe character model as a throwback to the arcade Punch-Out!! from decades past), the Animal Crossing Villager, Mega Man and the Wii Fit Trainer. Mega Man’s Final Smash move involves many of the Blue Bomber’s alter-egos, including Mega Man X and Rockman.eve.
  • When playing with friends online or locally, you can use custom move sets. More details will come later.
  • Exclusive to the 3DS version is a mode called Smash Run. It’s a “battle game playable for up to 4 players.” You have five minutes to explore a dungeon and upgrade your fighter. After that time limit expires, players duke it out with their upgraded characters.
  • The Pokemon Charizard and Greninja. Along with the already announced Lucario, I wonder if these individual Pokemon will take the place of the Pokemon Trainer character from before.
And that’s it. Nothing shocking or mind-blowing, but the latest entry in this series is looking incredibly solid, if you ask me. I’m anxious to get my hands on both versions when they’re released later this year.

Original story: At 5:00 central time, Nintendo will begin broadcasting one of their signature “Nintendo Direct” video presentations. While most of those showcase a variety of announcements and upcoming releases, today’s video will deal exclusively with what is arguably the most-anticipated title on Nintendo’s release calendar: the new Super Smash Bros., coming to Wii U and 3DS.

Currently, the game is horrendously titled Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, respectfully, so one thing to hope for might be a better name.

What will be announced? Well, we know we’re going to get a “release window” (so probably something like “Holiday 2014″), but this is set to be a 39-minute presentation, which leaves plenty of room for character reveals, both old and new. Much of the time will probably be spent detailing gameplay and levels, though.

Since the Super Smash Bros. series began on the Nintendo 64, I’ve had two characters on my personal dream roster: Mega Man and Simon Belmont (of the Castlevania fame). Nintendo has fulfilled half of that dream, so as always my fingers are crossed for the other half (as unlikely as it is).

What about you? Any hopes and dreams for Nintendo’s blockbuster brawler?

You can watch the video below or on Nintendo’s official website.

Maybe the online won't suck this time.

• Like 3

I've really never understood why people like Smash so much, I enjoyed the N64 version with buddies but that was moreso because I was playing with buddies, not the game itself. I'm much more excited for Mario Kart 8. 

Parker

• Like 2

My only complaint about this Direct was that Nintendo is releasing this game for 3DS before the Wii U version. You would think Nintendo would want to sway as many people to buy a Wii U for this game instead of opting for the 3DS version. Oh well, I'll get a Wii U the day this games launches for the Wii U and not a day sooner.

• Like 1

I've really never understood why people like Smash so much, I enjoyed the N64 version with buddies but that was moreso because I was playing with buddies, not the game itself. I'm much more excited for Mario Kart 8. 

Parker

Smash is only fun when playing with friends. I always fought CPUs for practice and the online was practically unplayable in Brawl.

Hopefully the online doesn't suck this time around.

I didn't even notice that the release dates were so far apart. I really didn't think Nintendo could make so many boneheaded moves, they keep proving me wrong though. Sega, please make a Dreamcast 2, I'll buy two. 

Parker

I want to know how streetpass will be implemented into the 3DS version. Maybe be able to exchange trophies somehow? Idk. I really hope the internet servers work well on the 3DS. Even though I will say Sakurai did a pretty good job with Kid Icarus Uprising's multiplayer for the most part. The servers were decent but could have used some tuning up a little with the lag after being hit. I really hope they add tons of new innovative modes to the game to compensate the fact that you'd need multiple 3Dses to play with a friend... whatever, I'll still get it!