Visighost's Backlog Tryouts

visighost

🙌Woot Woot! 🙌

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - you have one of the most interesting selections of games on your profile, and if there was ever a checklist I'd want to follow from day one, it's this one!

You're doing Gods work, finding the gems among the silt, and I've had more than a few games I've ended up loving where the first I heard about them was your good self - so consider this followed... for my own benefit! 😜

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Thanks for the mention Visi! I would definitely recommend checking out the rest of the series, same for Escape 2088 and Curious Cases. Although The Experiment is good too but the 3 person multiplayer can be a turnoff for some people. All of the games are made by the same devs and I've done guides for all of them anyway so you're in good hands. There is also another game from them coming soon which I hope to cover as well, so hopefully that will turn out well too. 

Although I think EF3 is a bit longer than 1 & 2, but yeah I don't blame you for not wanting to bother with a guide at the time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - you have one of the most interesting selections of games on your profile, and if there was ever a checklist I'd want to follow from day one, it's this one!

You're doing Gods work, finding the gems among the silt, and I've had more than a few games I've ended up loving where the first I heard about them was your good self - so consider this followed... for my own benefit! 😜

That's extremely kind of you Dr. B. - I doubt I'll meet any of your expectations, but if anything I post ends up leading a few people to play and enjoy games they wouldn't have otherwise, it will have been worth it! I'm hopeful that I did my due diligence buying the games in the first place, and that most of what I play will have some redeeming value!

5 hours ago, Zipp Storm said:

Thanks for the mention Visi! I would definitely recommend checking out the rest of the series, same for Escape 2088 and Curious Cases. Although The Experiment is good too but the 3 person multiplayer can be a turnoff for some people. All of the games are made by the same devs and I've done guides for all of them anyway so you're in good hands. There is also another game from them coming soon which I hope to cover as well, so hopefully that will turn out well too. 

Although I think EF3 is a bit longer than 1 & 2, but yeah I don't blame you for not wanting to bother with a guide at the time. 

All those games are in my backlog (or already finished for Curious Cases). I am partial to a good ol' escape room once in a while! And while I try to play them legit, knowing there's missable trophies I need to look for is extremely helpful - you have my gratitude! If you write any more of those and it's not too much trouble, a few quick bullets on what to look out for for us non-video-likey people would be very much appreciated.

34 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Jesus. And I thought had an unruly backlog. 

Day 1 thread follow for you, Visi. RIP my backlog. 

Thanks! If any backlog won't ever get to rest in peace, it's mine... I have the same sickness with books and board games: reading reviews and deal-shopping is half the fun!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, visighost said:

All those games are in my backlog (or already finished for Curious Cases). I am partial to a good ol' escape room once in a while! And while I try to play them legit, knowing there's missable trophies I need to look for is extremely helpful - you have my gratitude! If you write any more of those and it's not too much trouble, a few quick bullets on what to look out for for us non-video-likey people would be very much appreciated.

I might do that sure, and maybe I could write up some gameplay walkthrough guides on the site so I can help those who prefer text guides. Although I'll probably write them up in the same way as my video guides rather than trying to take the long way around so to speak. Thanks for the suggestion! Anything to help the community. 

• Like 2

Week one's over! Hope you had a nice one. The kids have started school again here, for a few days before they leave for Japan with my significant other. A bit chaotic, but hey, isn't it  the spice of life? I'm already behind in this backlog exercise by one game, which isn't so bad given my tendency to procrastinate (and the fact while I'm having fun, I'm also trying to play games to completion on the side!). The random number generator gave me a nice mix of AAA games everyone will know and tiny indies with very few players. I'd say Batbarian was my favourite, closely followed by Indivisible. No major disappointments were found - my expectations for Future Unfolding and Roller Drama weren't met, but I'm confident that giving them a few more hours will improve my initial impressions. I might use a game I haven't played in forever as a Saturday option rather than one I have never earned a trophy for. And maybe take a break on Sunday! Comments and requests welcome. Otherwise, I'm thinking of keeping on updating the thread every day, but only "bumping" it once a week. Let me know if it's too much / annoying. Hope you're all well otherwise! Cheers!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Lesson learned: do not promise what you can't deliver. So I promise to play games, but not to actually regularly write about them. Still, it was a productive month in that regard. Family went to Japan for a few weeks, so I suddenly had more free time, which I dutifully spent attacking my backlog (and having fun, mind you). Here's the first few that I played in September:

La46d28.png

Sep: Indivisible

PSNP Owners: 364

Verdict:✔️

Fun, unpretentious puzzler. You control a cube that needs to beat other cubes to gain access to stronger weapons or armour, which allows you to beat yet other cubes and open passages, etc. You can probably get it for a few bucks, and have fun for a few hours.

Lb817d8.png

Sep: Project Starship X

PSNP Owners: 3 060

Verdict: ✔️

Another East Asia Soft shoot 'em up, another fun one! As always, they went for the easy trophy list rather than the complete-everything-without-dying Ikaruga style, but hey, I don't mind. I had fun and didn't need to spend 100 hours on it.

L7c88ef.png

Sep: Mighty Math

PSNP Owners: 424

Verdict: ✔️

Could be deceiving: this isn't one of those shovelware "1+1=?" games, but rather an easy concept think-fast action game. You control a box with 9 "slots". You fill or empty these slots depending on the numbers you move into, which go progressively faster, through dark screens, etc., and can't have more than 9 or less than 0. It's kinda fun, and surprisingly hard!

Lf53a27.png

Sep: Mangavania

PSNP Owners: 402

Verdict: 🟰

Not strictly a Metroidvania as you simply buy abilities, which may or may not be required to progress in the level. Otherwise, it's a standard pixelated platformer. I mean, it's not terrible, I finished it and all, but... Don't go in expecting too much?

Lfdc7c6.png

Sep: Replikator

PSNP Owners: 117

Verdict: ?

One of Ratalaika's more expensive titles, with a corresponding you-actually-need-to-finish-the-game list (or maybe not, unsure if there's more than two bosses). It plays like a roguelite twin-stick, and was good fun, but for a reason or another I quickly moved to something else. Will get back to it eventually.

Lc25a3e.png

Sep: Little Disaster

PSNP Owners: 546

One of Ratalaika's typical titles: a pixelated precision platformer which could be really hard but with a super easy trophy list. I think I'm a bit numbed right now. It was fine, but I've already mostly forgotten about it.

L1d49d2.png

Sep: Mighty Mage

PSNP Owners: 397

I don't know how you call these games: you control your movement, but your attacks launch automatically. Like Vampire Survivors or Spirit Hunters. I spent a lot of time on the latter this month, so comparison is unavoidable. SH is involved, with good challenges, and a great system of skill, character and level unlock. This... is a single level, 4 types of ability that work exactly the same, and only a few types of baddies. It's a quick platinum for sure, but play Spirit Hunters first!

More later...

• Like 2