Worth starting in late 2023

Blackmist_FFXI

Regular PSO2 has barely anybody playing, and those playing are just doing "Cradle of Darkness" (An endgame mission)

Though the only trophy that would require you to play with other people is the PSE Burst trophy, so there's that

I guess you can play PSO2 NGS, which is the new one that still being updated. You play both from the same game.

But it is really lacking in content.

• Like 1

Is ngs kind of like a mini reboot? Or standalone inside it's own server?

Or would it just effect grouping.

If the only "co op" 🏆 I would need to worry about is the burst.  Might be able to snag that w an alt. 

Lacking in content is a bit Sad sounding.

Kinda got that mmo ich.

And don't want to play catch up on ff14 lol

3 hours ago, Blackmist_FFXI said:

Is ngs kind of like a mini reboot? Or standalone inside it's own server?

Or would it just effect grouping.

If the only "co op" 🏆 I would need to worry about is the burst.  Might be able to snag that w an alt. 

Lacking in content is a bit Sad sounding.

Kinda got that mmo ich.

And don't want to play catch up on ff14 lol

NGS is basically a new game, taking place a thousand years after it. They're just calling PSO2 because you could transfer your cosmetics from it.

Both games are separate, but you load them from the same game. You actually have to download the original PSO2 as DLC to play it.

• Like 1

PSO2 you're likely going to do on your own for the reasons listed, though there is little to worry about. The game allows you to take AI allies with you, it has difficulty settings, and due to the game handing out gear at certain points to allow you to become more than powerful enough for whatever content you have to do. The Personal Shop also has some cheap and powerful weapons (for you, they're trash for them obviously), though be careful before committing as some put high prices on things.

PSO2's list requires you to do all of Chapter 1 & 5, and the starts of Chapter 4 & 6. If you care to actually view it (can be skipped) then the early chapters are slow and not as good I felt, however it can get quite epic later on yes. Doing them one after another can be quite something though as it is Dragon Ballesc you could say. Chapter 5's villain for example is incredibly powerful, a universal threat, requires absolutely everyone including legendary dead people to team up to take them down, and for your character to unlock seemingly ultimate power. Then Chapter 6 starts and not only is the main villain vastly more powerful, but even their henchmen are more powerful than the Chapter 5 villain.

PSO2's list also requires you to level up a lot of classes. LV30 for most, but two have to be LV75. Thankfully you can use a main class and then level up other classes as subclasses, which get 50% XP. Subclasses will stop levelling by the way if they're within 5 levels of your main. The best way to level being the daily missions you get, which if possible you should do with the subclass as your main class so it gets full XP.  The XP the dailies give is also dependent on those landmark missions that require you to reach X level.

Along the way you will get a bunch of stuff, but outside the Star Gems, much of it won't be of any use in New Genesis. The cosmetics generally don't look good in NG, though with ones like the MAG skins it isn't too bad due to them being little floating robots. Music Discs (you use them on the music player in your room, that you have to place down) would save you buying them in NG certainly, but careful with that as some expensive tracks in Base are actually cheap in NG. Equipment is completely useless as endgame Base gear becomes trash in NG, though you can certainly use the equipment skins if you want, though like the cosmetics for your character, they often don't look all that good in NG. Money in theory can be transferred by using it to buy loads of an item that can be sold in NG, but it'll be a waste of time for you as the rate is terrible.

All in all, however long it takes you will be dependant on much you want to actually view the story (especially if you do all of Chapters 2/3/4/6 which you don't need to do) and the side character events, many of which can certainly come off as stilted (this is an issue in NG too). Once you've done the story the XP grinding will become you logging in every day for a short while to do the easy dailies for large amounts of XP. 

----

NG itself is still being supported and used to only require you to get a character to LV20, but now requires you to get to LV75. Thankfully, getting a character that high actually isn't that bad. Game is currently in Chapter 6 (Chapters are a lot smaller in NG than Base) and after clearing chapters you'll get missions which are essentially free XP (a lot). You'll also often get free gear handed out to you too, and if an event is going on and you are near enough to the level cap then that will be an essentially free augmented out weapon/armour too. Speaking of augments, many good augments now cost peanuts so you can certainly augment yourself pretty cheaply now. The absolute best have insane prices of course, but you don't need to grind or buy any of that.

Due to NG getting a new list recently it means the game will likely get more DLC trophies down the line. There is always the chance that whatever comes in the future might require quite a bit more investment then what is listed right now. For example, right now there is a mission called 'Sign of the Planetbreaker' which requires you to be kitted out pretty well. If that was a trophy then it would certainly increase the amount of time to 100% the game significantly. Going by previous lists though, this shouldn't be a concern.

As for NG, the story/fights/so forth. Each chapter introduces a region boss at the end and these are nice enough. Region 2 has a nice sequence as everyone fights the boss's army as they're heading towards the enemy stronghold. Region 4 has a pretty good sequence too which is important for several main characters. The 5th area isn't a region, but has an actual villain for once (region bosses are just big monsters you're told command the region's enemies) and a nice boss fight that then introduces the new threat for Chapter 6 and beyond. Dark Falz as always is present in Phantasy Star and they've got two fights, with the second being the best fight in the game.

• Like 1

Abit of a grind, but after playing ff11 for 13 years that is easily manageable

Good to know ya Don't need to fully finish all chapters.

I'm thinking I'll give it a Crack once I finish out a few other titles.

One last question. Tho I'm sure the awnser is no. Given that NG starts 1k years in the future. 

Do characters from base transfer to NG?

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 7:04 PM, Blackmist_FFXI said:

Abit of a grind, but after playing ff11 for 13 years that is easily manageable

Good to know ya Don't need to fully finish all chapters.

I'm thinking I'll give it a Crack once I finish out a few other titles.

One last question. Tho I'm sure the awnser is no. Given that NG starts 1k years in the future. 

Do characters from base transfer to NG?

I began my file within New Genesis so when I swapped to Base I was able to use my character from New Genesis. So I looked the same in both games. I'm unsure how it works if you start your file in Base and then go to New Genesis. For safety's sake I'd start New Genesis first, play it a little bit, and then go to Base. You can then focus mostly on Base to get it done as obviously it has a higher priority, but it is nice to have both games up and load into them every day as you'll have your daily free Gacha (in New Genesis), daily missions, and if you're doing at least a few story missions then you'll be slowly getting through it too.

One thing, if you care about it at all, is that after clearing chapters in New Genesis you'll get characters around the map who'll pop up that you can view scenes for. Only the ones on the region you're on will show up, so you'll have to swap region to see the others in those pop up on the map. Once you enter Chapter 6 it'll clear all those events and add them to your event seen list, so you don't lose your chance to see them, but can make it hard to know what you've seen or not. 

The Race you choose has no effect in New Genesis but it does have a minor statistical effect in Base, though with it being so small and the fact that you're not going to min-maxing anyway, it is nothing to concern yourself with. On the matter of cosmetics relating to characters in the game, certain cosmetics relate to the races, horns for example being a Deuman thing, but you don't have to worry about being a race locking you out of anything in New Genesis. A human can equip a horn cosmetic and as such look like a Deuman. Likewise as a Deuman you can remove your horn to look like a human. Your sex isn't set in stone either as equipping a male cosmetic with a female character will give you a male body. Due to this I've heard of people who give their character an androgynous face so they can freely change between male and female cosmetics without having to edit their face which would cost a pass. Speaking of that, editing many things in the game costs a salon pass (or star gems), which sounds bad, but eventually you start getting so many salon passes that it really isn't much of an issue. CASTs are notable though because they have their own male and female body types, but again, equipping CAST parts will change your body to them.

The usual applies on the amount of cosmetics. Female characters are used far more often so there is far more female cosmetics released, though with far more users of them, that means that their prices in the personal shop also tends to be higher than the male cosmetics. CASTs due to having their own cosmetic parts also means they have less released, but their prices tend to be lower also due to less users of them.

Edited by Rozalia1

16 hours ago, Blackmist_FFXI said:

Interesting, never would have thought cosmetics would give a passive stat bump,

I guess I'll start with NG, and roll back to base.

Might make everything easier in the long run

Thanks for all the info

Apologies, appears that you misunderstood me due to how one of those paragraphs is written (I've swapped two sentences around which should clear it up). The stat boost in Base I talked about is based off your Race, which doesn't occur in New Genesis. Though, technically what you've said actually isn't wrong in base I suppose. Armour in New Genesis doesn't show up on your character but it does in Base, which means they're cosmetics of sorts too. These armours obviously give you stat buffs.

Hope you enjoy the game.

Edited by Rozalia1

• 3 weeks later...