Should I buy and start this game?

SoliDeoGloriaIHS

As the title suggests, should I buy this game?  It's currently on sale on the ps store.  It seems to be on sale very often which strikes me as a little strange, but I guess that's neither here nor there.  I know the game has been around for 4 years or so now and I checked the reviews (IGN gave it a 9/10 back when it released) and this site's trophy guide.  That's standard procedure for me for any game I am considering.  However, I've seen several posts and comments here and around the internet about glitches with this game specifically trophies glitching or glitches in the game's tracking of collectibles or areas discovered which of course affects trophies.  I've also seen comments on how the difficulty seems to be all over the place.  I know the guide gives it an overall 4 out of 10 platinum difficulty so it's certainly not going to be Cuphead or Dark Souls difficult, but I've seen comments on how the difficulty with arenas and certain bosses seems to be all over the place from fairly easy to some people suggesting very difficult.  Added to this, I've also seen comments about the matchmaking and that it seems to be abysmal.  I just wanted to hear from anyone who might have played it recently in the past year and who has the platinum and get their thoughts on the game and if I should dive into this game now in 2023 or if there are too many issues and I'm better off passing on it.  Thank you for reading all of this.  Be well, all of you. 😊

11 hours ago, jninja79 said:

If you have to ask yourself this question, then the answer should always be no.

At least that's how I do it.

This^

If in doubt... don't! To answer the question directly though, I bought this at launch and thought the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the game was actually decent but after the halfway mark, the quality, story and fun factor all go off a cliff and never recover. The core gameplay just isn't fun and pales into insignificance when compared to the previous games in the series, plus the story is garbage and the DLCs are at best, only slightly above mediocre and F-ing terrible at worst. I love this series to death but it's all downhill from 3 onwards so stick to the older entries and forget about the newer ones :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

11 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

This^

If in doubt... don't! To answer the question directly though, I bought this at launch and thought the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the game was actually decent but after the halfway mark, the quality, story and fun factor all go off a cliff and never recover. The core gameplay just isn't fun and pales into insignificance when compared to the previous games in the series, plus the story is garbage and the DLCs are slightly above mediocre at best and F-ing terrible at worst. I love this series to death but it's all downhill from 3 onwards so stick to the older entries and forget about the newer ones :(.

Ohhhkay then!  Thank you for your frank response.  I guess I'll pass then.  This isn't the first time I've heard comments such as yours, but it looks really good and reading reviews like IGN which give it a 9 out of 10, I thought maybe, possibly I've been missing out on what might be the best game in the series.  It seems 1 and 2 both of which I platinumed ages ago on PS3 were significantly superior to 3.  Thank you for your input. 

• Like 1

Ultimately, it depends on how much you: 

• Love or loved the past borderlands mainline games.
  • Loved 2 or wanted more out of BL2. 

If you ask me, the third game compared to the second Borderlands fell short and was....not as appealing to me as compared to the second game (Borderlands 2). So if you can get everything on-sale, then yes, go for it, but do not go into the game with high expectations and expect a more badass villain than Handsome Jack.

• Like 1