Multiplayer Status

baboon_overlord

Well for no reason at all the OP of the previous thread on this subject decided to lock the comments today because "the thread was getting too long" (three pages FFS). 

So please use this thread instead to post how we get the MP done.

My 2 cents. I was able to connect to my friend in the US yesterday. He's in the US and I think this might be important because I have been trying to connect to my alt on another PS3 and the matchmaking is broken.

After I played with my friend, I was finally (after three weeks of trying) able to connect to my alt, but only with a random from the US. 

I really have no insights into why this happened, maybe it was a fluke or maybe the US servers work - or maybe a combo of EU/US servers work.

I have been messaged by people on PSN and Discord telling me the servers work when I couldn't get into a game and believed them but couldn't do it myself.

All I know is, when the servers work, they work wonderfully, trophies unlock and progress is tracked. The game plays perfectly.

Edited by Stevieboy
unnecessary comment
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 3:21 AM, baboon_overlord said:

Well for no reason at all the OP of the previous thread on this subject decided to lock the comments today because "the thread was getting too long" (three pages FFS). 

So please use this thread instead to post how we get the MP done.

My 2 cents. I was able to connect to my friend in the US yesterday. He's in the US and I think this might be important because I have been trying to connect to my alt on another PS3 and the matchmaking is broken.

After I played with my friend, I was finally (after three weeks of trying) able to connect to my alt, but only with a random from the US. 

I really have no insights into why this happened, maybe it was a fluke or maybe the US servers work - or maybe a combo of EU/US servers work.

I have been messaged by people on PSN and Discord telling me the servers work when I couldn't get into a game and believed them but couldn't do it myself.

All I know is, when the servers work, they work wonderfully, trophies unlock and progress is tracked. The game plays perfectly.

Thanks for the update, I'll be getting

this game hopefully soon and I would like to go for the online first.

Sadly the online pass has been used, I have been told you can play with some kind of online trial or whatever but even if I did find it at the PS Store it doesn't allow me to download it so it may be necessary to try it from the game itself? Do you know something about it? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Stevieboy
clean up for edited post
  • Like 1

The best way to proceed is to invite friends into a party of 2-4 before searching for matches, as is done in other games like Aliens vs Predator and Red Faction Guerilla. Bear in mind the minimum player count of 4 for certain match types.

It is advised to manually trigger autosave prior to entering the multiplayer. Adjusting the sound settings suffices. Otherwise, you are liable to lose trophy progress.

The game is on borrowed time just like Batman Arkham Origins was, so all bets are off.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, NajiLionheart said:

Thanks for the update, I'll be getting

this game hopefully soon and I would like to go for the online first.

Sadly the online pass has been used, I have been told you can play with some kind of online trial or whatever but even if I did find it at the PS Store it doesn't allow me to download it so it may be necessary to try it from the game itself? Do you know something about it? Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about the online pass. Ubisoft screwed the pooch when this game was released apparently, so the code for the online pass never worked anyway. They give you a 999 hour trial but it never expires. 

Just start the game, go into the MP menu, accept the "trial" and you are golden.

46 minutes ago, EqualityEarth said:

The best way to proceed is to invite friends into a party of 2-4 before searching for matches, as is done in other games like Aliens vs Predator and Red Faction Guerilla. Bear in mind the minimum player count of 4 for certain match types.

It is advised to manually trigger autosave prior to entering the multiplayer. Adjusting the sound settings suffices. Otherwise, you are liable to lose trophy progress.

The game is on borrowed time just like Batman Arkham Origins was, so all bets are off.

Hey mate, good to see you on here.

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting bombarded by people from Discord and PSN on what to do. I really don't understand why the previous thread we were chatting in was closed - who does that FFS?

In my case, the invitation system is completely broken but I will try the other tips you mentioned - thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 3:21 AM, baboon_overlord said:

I'm in the EU and I got connected with a random person from Poland two times today, so there's some sort of EU-EU pairing happening right now. :) It's probably random when it works or not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shipyroni said:

I'm in the EU and I got connected with a random person from Poland two times today, so there's some sort of EU-EU pairing happening right now. :) It's probably random when it works or not.

Hi, I'm glad you were able to connect. Thanks for the extra information. I've done most of my recent trophies by finding randoms and playing - especially for the Race mode, if it's only 2-3 of you, it doesn't matter who finishes first so is well worth getting it out of the way in one session if you can.

I basically wasted my weekend last week trying to figure out if there was some pattern to any of this and there isn't.

I did manage to find my alt for a very short period (see below). Then my alt would only match with a random player from France, so I left my alt AFKing for several hours so they could get it done (I am yet to receive a "thank you" message, so unless it's someone on this thread or one of my friends I am done helping people like that going forward).

So yes, the only remaining theory (unless it's pure randomness) is that if there are enough people playing, the game will selectively pair people for no known reason.

One other update: the invite system has never worked for me but I was finally able to play with my alt again after five weeks of trying by joining session from the invite menu. It only worked once but it seems that it can work at times, so is worth trying.

The other update of sorts: my friend has been harassing the life out of Ubisoft to fix games like Assassin's Creed IV and Far Cry 4 in the official Ubisoft server. He was told by someone on there that Splinter Cell was back and working properly again after a dead period. He tested it and it appears it's working again. 

So it's possible Driver will be sorted out soon, although that is of course only speculation on my part. I still don't understand why they opened all these servers back up again in the first place. The entire thing is weird (although I commend Ubisoft for doing it).

I'll finish with a tip. It seems there is a "window of opportunity" for finding the player(s) you want to play with. I know this because I got roped into a boosting group on PSN last weekend when I was just trying to test things for when I play with my friends and for the purposes of this thread (I did at least get a trophy out of it and to be fair, those people were decent). I strongly recommend that if you can't find the people you want to play with after a couple of searches and joining sessions, give up immediately and try another day or you will waste hours of your time.

Edited by baboon_overlord
  • Like 1

Hi, I got all online trophies after one week of boosting, so I would like to update on the server status in case somebody is starting now.

This is anecdotal evidence, but I found that the servers worked best during the weekend and late at night on the UTC+00:00 timezone (between 10pm-3am). This weekend it was very easy to connect to all players compared to the previous days of trying. 

One thing that worked fairly well for my team sessions was to split into 2 teams of two players each. So, 2 people in one lobby, 2 people in another lobby. One group would start the team playlist first and then the other group's host would search quick match right after. If it worked, the quick match team would find the team group right away. If the quick match team was put into an empty lobby or a 2-player mode, the quick match team would quit the search (not the party) and search quick match once again. Rinse and repeat until we found each other. This worked better than everybody searching the same team playlist. We also couldn't get team modes to work if there were 4 players in the same lobby, or 3 users in one lobby and 2 users in the other lobby.

This is a known issue, but one of my boosting partners and I experienced the "lost online trophy progression glitch". We had to boost the capture the flag game a lot more than we needed to, which sucks since this is a team mode that takes hours to boost and it's a pain to be matched with 3 other players for team mode with these lottery servers. My advice is to try and do the torch and capture the flag trophy without ever closing the game to be safe - just do it in one boosting session whenever possible. It's better to do this anyway since you never know when you can get the matchmaking to work, let alone in team mode.

To avoid losing progress, I also advice to finish online sessions, and then boot single-player and complete one quick activity before closing the game. That seems the best thing to do to actually save the game and lessens your chance of something going wrong. I couldn't test if PS Plus and backup saves made any difference.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2023 at 3:34 PM, Shipyroni said:

Hi, I got all online trophies after one week of boosting, so I would like to update on the server status in case somebody is starting now.

This is anecdotal evidence, but I found that the servers worked best during the weekend and late at night on the UTC+00:00 timezone (between 10pm-3am). This weekend it was very easy to connect to all players compared to the previous days of trying. 

One thing that worked fairly well for my team sessions was to split into 2 teams of two players each. So, 2 people in one lobby, 2 people in another lobby. One group would start the team playlist first and then the other group's host would search quick match right after. If it worked, the quick match team would find the team group right away. If the quick match team was put into an empty lobby or a 2-player mode, the quick match team would quit the search (not the party) and search quick match once again. Rinse and repeat until we found each other. This worked better than everybody searching the same team playlist. We also couldn't get team modes to work if there were 4 players in the same lobby, or 3 users in one lobby and 2 users in the other lobby.

This is a known issue, but one of my boosting partners and I experienced the "lost online trophy progression glitch". We had to boost the capture the flag game a lot more than we needed to, which sucks since this is a team mode that takes hours to boost and it's a pain to be matched with 3 other players for team mode with these lottery servers. My advice is to try and do the torch and capture the flag trophy without ever closing the game to be safe - just do it in one boosting session whenever possible. It's better to do this anyway since you never know when you can get the matchmaking to work, let alone in team mode.

To avoid losing progress, I also advice to finish online sessions, and then boot single-player and complete one quick activity before closing the game. That seems the best thing to do to actually save the game and lessens your chance of something going wrong. I couldn't test if PS Plus and backup saves made any difference.

Hi Shipyroni, you are a superstar for posting this, thank you very much.

I will see if me and my friends can finish this off over the holidays based on your advice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did they finally shut it down? My friend said he can't connect to the servers so I went to check on it. When I tried to connect, it said the Ubisoft server is unavailable.

I did all the trophies 2 days ago. What a timing

EDIT: Nevermind, it's working again, it went down for 30 minutes LMFAO

Edited by Sebulba2000
  • Like 2