Call of Duty and Battlefield Franchise Discussion

DanielVT

To start, this is not for flame war, and if the post takes that direction, I'll shut it down. I want to sponsor a healthy discussion regarding the two franchises. Guess what, I like both Battlefield and Call of Duty equally. I pre-ordered both entries this year, bought the Hardened Edition of COD (with the season pass), and bought the BF4 Season Pass (Premium) as well. I tend to play Call of Duty more regularly as I have over six days in Ghosts' multiplayer thus far, and am a prestige eight. On Battlefield I have just started to REALLY get into it and have put tons of time into it this past week alone. I see merits in both games.

As an FPS fan, I enjoy Call of Duty's solid gunplay, quick kills, and overall arcade-like experience. It's fast paced, rewarding, and certainly addicting. The action gets insane sometimes, each years' modifications and advancements and tweaks are usually quite appreciated. Call of Duty's co-op modes, whether that is zombies or the insanity that is extinction, are super fun and enjoyable. Call of Duty's campaigns are top-notch, cinematic, roller-coasters, with so many explosions that it would make Michael Bay drool. You know what? I love Call of Duty's campaigns. They have everything I'm looking for. They story is usually well-thought out, fast-paced, and it's enjoyable to mow through hordes of "bad-guys" and experience unforgettable set-piece moments. I know what to expect each-year with Call of Duty, and it never seems to disappoint. The Call of Duty franchise has certainly become similar to a yearly sports game, minus the fact that the maps, locations, and story line are new, and that is not a bad thing by any means.

On the other hand, Battlefield and Battlefield 4 captures all-out war in ways that Call of Duty simply can't. Bullet-suppression, vehicular-warfare, weapon-recoil, blur.....the list goes on. This franchise takes war seriously and tries to replicate it as much as possible while still appealing to the masses. The campaigns are never as memorable as Call of Duty's, but they are more intimate, and enjoyable in their own right. In terms of multiplayer, I have never seen such ridiculous, massive, and purely epic battles as BF4 has offered. 64 players going all out and using huge assortments of weapons and vehicles to achieve victory. The sound is so immersive, if you close your eyes you feel like you are there. The pure chaos of war is captured in ways that I have never seen in a video game before and it is completely indescribable. Battlefield 4 captures the beauty and atrocity of war unlike any other. Just imagine playing rush in operation metro or operation locker. You see soldiers pinned down in choke-holds, grenades firing off, bullets-whizzing by, friendlies and enemies alike falling like flies. It's epic moments like these that make me love Battlefield. It offers something that Call of Duty can't. Yet, I enjoy both equally well due to their individual merits. They are both different breeds of games and accomplish different objectives wonderfully. I love both franchises and am an avid fan of both. Feel free to discuss what you like about both franchises below. I'm sure I'm not the only one that loves both franchises. I guess what I'm saying is keep the conversation mature, and keep criticism constructive. Simply saying Call of Duty sucks or vice versa is quite lame, and sounds uneducated. Thanks! :)

Edited by DanielVT
  • Like 1

I enjoy both as well, pretty much for the same reasons you've already listed. If I just have a half an hour or so to game a few quick matches on CoD is what I'll go for. If a few buddies are online and I have a couple hours to game I'll fire up Battlefield and tear it up with them. 

Comparing the games to one another is goofy because they're completely different styles of FPS so I've never understood the fanboys of either game completely shitting on the other one. 

Parker

• Like 3

Yeah mate, I'm a fan of both series' as well. I've played many, many hours of COD over the years with friends and my brother, and have fantastic memories of Spec Ops missions in MW2, playing through the campaigns multiple times (I must have played MW1's about 7 times, haha), etc. As far as quality though, in  my opinion Ghosts isn't as good as previous entries in the series; I feel the campaign was somewhat lacklustre (although I have highly enjoyed previous entries' campaigns), and the multiplayer felt a bit barebones compared to previous games. I still enjoyed it though.

On the other hand, I played BF3 a bit on the 360, but it wasn't until BF4 that I truly started to appreciate what Battlefield brings to the table. Me and 3 mates still play reasonably regularly and thoroughly enjoy tank-squads, helicopter rampages and sniping sprees, among other things. I agree that the visuals and sound are absolutely top notch, and I've thoroughly enjoyed the game.

So yeah, I appreciate both games (and both series) quite a lot; although personally I still prefer single player epics (The Last of Us, MGS series, RDR, Bioshock, etc.), I can still definitely enjoy me some FPS multiplayer!

• Like 1

I play Battlefield when I want to get with some of my friends and do some large map warfare, with tanks and jets and choppers everywhere. It's more of a serious war game, but I only find it fun with friends in my squad.

I play CoD when I'm really bored. It's fun arcade style shooter, but I don't play it too often. I also don't like playing it without my friends, because the community isn't very good. I don't like having to see dick and tit emblems every time I die in Black Ops, and hear some 12 year old spew hate speech the whole time.

They both have their positives and negatives. I'll pick up BF4 with my PS4 eventually, and I'll get the next CoD if enough of my friends get it too.

• Like 1

Having easily over 700 hours on both franchises I actually dislike both and find them quite boring now, maybe I played them to death and just waiting for another fps to grasp me and steal countless hours of my life but unfortunately I see none insight, I thought Titanfall would be it but after 9 hours of it I have no desire to play it. I think I am just burned out on fps in general.

Having easily over 700 hours on both franchises I actually dislike both and find them quite boring now, maybe I played them to death and just waiting for another fps to grasp me and steal countless hours of my life but unfortunately I see none insight, I thought Titanfall would be it but after 9 hours of it I have no desire to play it. I think I am just burned out on fps in general.

Yeah I see what you mean, haha. I've been playing so many indie games recently for this reason; I need something different sometimes  :lol:

Call of Duty has been hit and miss for me, I really loved CoD 1, 2, 4, and Ghosts but did't care much for BLOPS 1, 2 and Finest Hour

My first Battlefield was the second entry in the series and I never got into it. I really enjoyed 3 and I love BF4 and I've also put more hours into the BF franchise than CoD

• Like 1