Question about M.2 upgrade

BigPete7978

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, grifteskymfning said:

This could've easily been a status update, instead of a forum post.

This post could've easily not been posted. I don't use status updates. If you don't like something, you don't have to reply in a thread. 

Now back to the topic at hand. Should I only be putting PS4 games on this? Or does it matter? I see there is a toggle in settings after getting it setup.

Edited by BigPete7978

5 minutes ago, BigPete7978 said:

Should I only be putting PS4 games on this?

Why? PS4 games can't even take advantage of M2 SSD. PS5 throttles read speeds for PS4 games running off of M2 SSD.

Also @grifteskymfning is right and you also already posted here:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Why? PS4 games can't even take advantage of M2 SSD. PS5 throttles read speeds for PS4 games running off of M2 SSD.

Also @grifteskymfning is right and you also already posted here:

So posting that image AFTER I made this thread in another thread, in a different part of the forums is a no no? I was simply participating in that thread by showing my purchase, which the thread is dedicated to. I'm not trying to be difficult or anything, legit asking. I have been a member here for a while, but don't post a ton. Don't want to violate any rules or anything that are set forth for the community. I have ran many forums, and understand there are rules set forth depending on the board. 

As for the discussion of the SSD, so it's worse to have a PS4 game installed on the SSD than the Console Storage? I don't have an external or anything installed to my PS5. 

17 minutes ago, BigPete7978 said:

As for the discussion of the SSD, so it's worse to have a PS4 game installed on the SSD than the Console Storage? I don't have an external or anything installed to my PS5. 

Nah, it's not worse -- but you mentioned "only PS4 games". The speed is artificially throttled as if you used a SATA SSD in PS4 Pro. So nowhere near 7300MB/s.

TL;DR Use it for both PS4 and PS5 games. 👍

And regarding the first part, you posted a thread with title "It is time" and it was just a picture of SSD. If you called this "Question about m2 SSD", it would make more sense. The initial post contained nothing to talk about, not really thread worthy.

Either way, doesn't matter now.

Edited by HusKy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Nah, it's not worse -- but you mentioned "only PS4 games". The speed is artificially throttled as if you used a SATA SSD in PS4 Pro. So nowhere near 7300MB/s.

TL;DR Use it for both PS4 and PS5 games. 👍

Oh ok. I was just in fact about to ask that as well. So I shouldn't see any difference between a PS5 on my "Console Storage" and the M2 SSD? I love that I can install so much more, but if there is a difference with the PS5 games, I will prioritize the ones I am playing to the "Console Storage" as I am playing them.

3 minutes ago, BigPete7978 said:

So I shouldn't see any difference between a PS5 on my "Console Storage" and the M2 SSD?

From outside perspective, there's no difference between on-board SSD and M2 SSD. It just works.

• Like 1

The setup I have done with my PS5 is to have an external USB 3.0 SSD for PS4 games as you can set the default install location to the external drive for PS4 games.

I have set the console storage as the default for PS5 games and just move PS5 games onto the expanded internal storage when the console storage starts getting full.

• Like 1