What is your favorite Call of Duty? (Poll)

armamac14

What is your favorite call of duty  

99 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best Call of Duty

• Call of Duty Classic
    • Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
    • Call of Duty World at War
    • Black Ops
    • Black Ops II
    • Black Ops III
    • Black Ops 4
    • Vanguard
    • MW III 2023
    • MW 2019
    • MW II 2022
    • Black Ops Cold War
    • World War 2
    • Advanced Warfare
    • Infinite Warfare
    • Black Ops Declassified
    • Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
    • Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
    • Ghosts
    • Mobile

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 01/01/2025 at 05:59 AM

Black Ops for sure for me.

I only really played what is often considered the golden era for CoD so I don't have a lot of experience with the later titles and I didn't play 2 or 3. But of that era, I played A LOT. I even played semi-professionally at a competitive level during that era (early eSports ain't like what it is now so don't get excited lol, I ain't special)

If I had to rank that era when I played CoD regularly (excluding W@W because I skipped out on that one) then I'd go with:

1) Black Ops

2) Modern Warfare 2

3) Modern Warfare

4) Black Ops 2

5) Modern Warfare 3

It was Modern Warfare 3 when I began to fall out of the series, I consider it my least favourite Call of Duty at the time and it lead to me, despite receiving as a Christmas gift, not playing Black Ops 2 until like a year or two after and by that point I just went through the campaign, did only a prestige or two of multiplayer and went through the zombies maps (I never did get the 4-player stuff done). Meanwhile I was max prestige fairly early on for Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops (and even despite starting to fall out of the series, nearly max in Modern Warfare 3 by the end of the year). My multiplayer shooter fix ended up being replaced with Battlefield 3 around that time... I remember splitting my time between Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 fairly evenly and then as I got to know more people and also convert other friends over it was much more in favour of Battlefield 3 by the end.

Looking back, despite ranking it number 1 Black Ops didn't really have a good campaign, it was pretty lacklustre actually even if it had some iconic quotes which instinctively make you think it must have been significant. But it was certainly my all time favourite multiplayer which is of course the major component to a Call of Duty game and it was also a peak for zombies, to me at least. I was much more involved with the easter egg hunts and exploring the new maps at this time. Black Ops also had available the W@W maps so it was a juicy game to own for zombies content. Zombies eventually got silly, appeared to try too hard in adding gimmicks, doing too many things, became easier/boring and the easter eggs don't seem very engaging so if I could only have one game I'd be picking Black Ops for my zombies fix.

Black Ops 2 wasn't too much of a decline, but I started to feel the zombies decline a little there. TranZit wasn't great, Die Rise... forgettable, Mob was decent and Buried and Origins were great but there were certainly some red flags brewing. From what I've seen of zombies post-Black Ops 2, yuck...

That being said, I did play WWII, and I actually really enjoyed the zombies mode in that game. Obviously that's a slightly different take on zombies, Sledgehammers release not Treyarc, but they did a really good job and I think that games zombies is highly underrated. Campaign and multiplayer on WWII was pretty pants though xD but then again most campaigns post the golden era were pretty garbage.

The only other Call of Duty game I've played is the Modern Warfare reboot which... was okay. It was hyped up by the community quite a bit after quite a lacklustre run of games and people pitched it as if this was the one worth jumping back into the series for and it was as I say, okay. It wasn't bad, the campaign was decent if a bit short and forgettable over time and the multiplayer seemed passable. As a returning player it just made me feel not that Call of Duty was failing exactly but that it was following more than leading in its field, it no longer felt like that major FPS juggernaut series it once was, just a competent one in a sea of many others that frankly do it better and are more worth playing in my eyes. I did try some of the Warzone Battle Royale, the genre isn't much to my tastes but I have to admit it was one of the better BR titles at the time so fair play to them on that.

At this stage I'm just so over Call of Duty, it would take a lot to pull me back into the series. It would be cool if it could manage to have a second golden era, another run of great games to reignite the prestige and significance of the Call of Duty name.