Help me to improve my PSN Profile.

LDN-Legend

So for a long while now, I've been working on games that had participation trophies popped before I really started hunting. Sadly, I didn't plan my account in advance, and have ended up with a couple of really annoying games on there. Notably unobtainable trophies for GT sport, and some hard games like I am Bread. It doesn't seem worth creating a new account, but i'd like to strive to have the best possible profile I could. I have become reluctant to start new games because of this trap, and find myself frantically checking trophy lists and if there's DLC before I start a game. Furthermore, it's often difficult these days to solo a platinum without careful use of a guide, due to missables and collectibles etc, this has made hunting a little less enjoyable. My plans are to clean up as much as possible still, particularly Heavy Rain and Crash games, but i've been backlogging for so long that I need something fun to play. I also try to avoid purchasing full price games and like to wait for offers or play the PSplus games. 

• Like 2

Your profile looks pretty good to me, but what are you looking for exactly?

Are you looking for recommendations of new games that are fun, and not unobtainable, or are you looking for info on which games you have incomplete that might be easier/more fun to tackle, or just general advice on how to approach the hobby?

• Like 2

84% completion percentage and 36% average rarity. Not bad at all, imo. Aren't you just too severe with yourself? Just one single shovelware Platinum, too.

The things you mentioned doing before starting a game too me sound normal, to the standard of a Trophy hunter :lol: I recommend relaxing a bit with easier game that have easy Trophy lists. Definitely start finishing up Batman.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Your profile looks pretty good to me, but what are you looking for exactly?

Are you looking for recommendations of new games that are fun, and not unobtainable, or are you looking for info on which games you have incomplete that might be easier/more fun to tackle, or just general advice on how to approach the hobby?

I'd say looking for recommendations of enjoyable games, the last game i actually had fun with was Dysmantle. (I had a feeling you'd reply haha).. Appreciate the kind words from both! I find it particularly hard to find coop games which don't have a lot of online pvp. More like coop survival. (The Forest looked good but seems buggy)

Edited by LDN-Legend
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, LDN-Legend said:

I'd say looking for recommendations of enjoyable games, the last game i actually have fun with was Dysmantle. (I had a feeling you'd reply haha)

Well, with what you said above about feeling trapped into a "holding pattern" of always checking guides and online info of games beforehand, something that you might want to consider doing is a sort of "cold turkey" approach to breaking that habit...

...by specifically playing some games where even looking at the trophies, let alone guides, is considered a big spoiler and to be avoided - i.e. games where the whole point of the game hinges on going in cold, at least for for the first playthrough.

I realise that might feel like jumping off a cliff... but I think that might be the best way to kick start the enjoyment in the ol' hobby - and luckily, there are some great games out there where there aren't really many missable, and are super fun and surprising, and where you would almost have to avoid looking at info first, because it would demonstrably ruin the games!

If you do decide to go that route, I would recommend one or some (or all!) of the following games:

Inscryption

Doki Doki Literature Club+

Chants of Sennaar

Immortality 

The Messenger

Viewfinder

Tunic

Elden Ring

Outer Wilds

The other possible thing to try, would be to play some rogue-like games - because in a rogue-like, guides are not a big part of the experience, since the games are, by nature, repetitive and cyclical, so you can't really ever miss anything, and mastering the game mechanics is the path to victory, rather than knowing the levels or the route.

If that was the way you wanted to go, I'd heartily recommend:

Curse of the Dead Gods

Hades

Rogue Legacy

Dead Cells

Slay the Spire

Griftlands

Fights in Tight Spaces

Returnal

Treasures of the Aegean

Either path you take though, the real important part is that those are all games where a guide is unnecessary initially (you might want to look some specific trophies up later in the game once you've gotten deep in, but you won't feel the need to look at the outset and you can be sure you won't have missed anything that can't be gone back for fairly easily,) you can comfortably be sure are all obtainable - and none are so difficult that they will break you (since, I have the plat in all those games, and I'm bad at video games, so if I can do it, so can you!) 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Well, with what you said above about feeling trapped into a "holding pattern" of always checking guides and online info of games beforehand, something that you might want to consider doing is a sort of "cold turkey" approach to breaking that habit...

Wow, what an amazing response, this is exactly what i was looking for. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice, and time you have taken to help me out and give recommendations. I will read over this reply a few more times and do a little research into the games (not spoiling them). I hadn't even began to categorise games into the genres you have mentioned here. Really appreciate this! 

• Like 2

Just now, LDN-Legend said:

Wow, what an amazing response, this is exactly what i was looking for. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice, and time you have taken to help me out and give recommendations. I will read over this reply a few more times and do a little research into the games (not spoiling them). I hadn't even began to categorise games into the genres you have mentioned here. Really appreciate this! 

No problem bud, happy to help 👍

The one game I will give an extra special warning for is Immortality.

I'm playing this now (I'm playing slower, as my wife is watching, and I'm under strict instructions not to play when she's not there! 😆)

I haven't looked at the trophy list for this one, because I was warned by a friend I trust that even so much as glancing at the trophy list would be extremely detrimental to the experience - so that's the one to be SUPER careful about...

...and from what I've played so far, it is i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e....

...so I wouldn't want you to miss out or accidentally spoil it for yourself!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

Your profile looks totally fine to me, but since you are looking for game recommendations, how about the Final Fantasy 1-6 bundle and Resident Evil series?

Yeah, i'd really like to play these. It's a shame they made them so easy and also have to buy each one individually. For sure though, these are the games I'd like to play. (FF series) .. As for RE.. Yeah I should get into some more of them. Kind of tired after RE7+8 though.

Edited by LDN-Legend
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2024 at 10:04 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

If you do decide to go that route, I would recommend one or some (or all!) of the following games:

Inscryption

Doki Doki Literature Club+

Chants of Sennaar

Immortality 

The Messenger

Viewfinder

Tunic

Elden Ring

Outer Wilds

I can definitly agree with the recommendation for Inscryption. I love the gameplay mechanics and the game is very motivating to try different strategies. Trophy wise there are missables but it's nothing bad as the playthoughs doesn't take like 50 hours.

In general I can recomment a few story games if you like those. Often games have chapter select to clean up missed trophies afterwards and I would always recommend to play story games blind. I made it a habit for me to check for missables or online trophies before playing a new game but if there aren't anyone I can play a game with less stress and can enjoy it more.

To name some advices:

- As you played It takes two I recommend A way out, a game by the same developer and a really good coop game.

- A Plague Tale: Requiem

- As you played Heavy Rain: Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human. Both good story games where I highly recommend a blind playthrough first

- all of the Telltale Games are quite good with (almost) no missables and great to enjoy the story of those games.

- and as you played Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink: when you liked this kind of game there a maaany more games like this by Artifex Mundi

I hope this helps a little!

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 10:52 AM, CecieAngel said:

To name some advices:

- As you played It takes two I recommend A way out, a game by the same developer and a really good coop game.

- A Plague Tale: Requiem

- As you played Heavy Rain: Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human. Both good story games where I highly recommend a blind playthrough first

- all of the Telltale Games are quite good with (almost) no missables and great to enjoy the story of those games.

- and as you played Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink: when you liked this kind of game there a maaany more games like this by Artifex Mundi

I hope this helps a little!

Wanted to thank you for this reply. You obviously took the time to look at games I've finished and recommend similar; that's great of you! Honestly though, you coindientely chose my most shameful games - I try to avoid easier games now; Telltale particularly just boring to me. I definitely want to play 'A way out' and maybe 'Plague Tale Requiem' though. I feel quite stubborn with new games and have mostly focused on those I am familiar with from the past. I usually shoot for remakes of older games in which I have some memory of. I look forward to playing FF7 Rebirth but the price tag is a little steep when there's other free games to play out there. Feel free to recommend me some more difficult games if your could - Because I genuinely like your recommendations - they're fitting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDN-Legend said:

Wanted to thank you for this reply. You obviously took the time to look at games I've finished and recommend similar; that's great of you! Honestly though, you coindientely chose my most shameful games - I try to avoid easier games now; Telltale particularly just boring to me. I definitely want to play 'A way out' and maybe 'Plague Tale Requiem' though. I feel quite stubborn with new games and have mostly focused on those I am familiar with from the past. I usually shoot for remakes of older games in which I have some memory of. I look forward to playing FF7 Rebirth but the price tag is a little steep when there's other free games to play out there. Feel free to recommend me some more difficult games if your could - Because I genuinely like your recommendations - they're fitting. 

Sure thing! I am very pleased to help.

I can actually try to do some more recommendations but they might be not more than a guess.

- as you said you had much fun with Dysmantle maybe you could try out How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition and How to Survive 2. They are both playable in coop, are slightly the same playstyle as dysmantle and quite challenging. I liked both of them.

- as you played Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot you might like other dragon ball games. I only played Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. Not coop but fun (even if I'm not a big fan of fighting games) and not those easy plats.

- if you like anime-, fighting- or anime-fighting-games in general maybe you like Jump Force. Cool game but it was indeed too hard for me. Or I am just too bad in fighting games 😂 or try out Attack on Titan 2. I love that game and if you like grinding (as I remembered dysmantle a bit of) it could be interesting.

- as we're talking about grind: Monster Hunter Rise is a pure grindfest and I personally love the monster hunter games.

- last one is a pure guess: Moonlighter is really fun if you like dungeon crawler and pixel style mixed with running a shop and haggling with customers. And going for the plat isn't that easy imho.

Last to say, you could looking here -> Co-operative for games tagged as coop games if you're looking for those in particular.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 8:42 AM, KenjiCBZ said:

84% completion percentage and 36% average rarity. Not bad at all, imo. Aren't you just too severe with yourself? Just one single shovelware Platinum, too.

The things you mentioned doing before starting a game too me sound normal, to the standard of a Trophy hunter :lol: I recommend relaxing a bit with easier game that have easy Trophy lists. Definitely start finishing up Batman.

How do you view the average rarity on a profile?