In honor of Akira Toriyama

I'm doing the same thing! Like many people, I grew up with Dragon Ball (Z, specifically). A few years ago I played Chrono Trigger for the first time, and loved it, by no small part because of Toriyama's design. Obviously from a gameplay point of view it's just a tremendous game even without the visual design, but the visual design gave it a familiar, warm, and nostalgic feeling.

Anyway, I've always wanted to try out Dragon Quest because of Toriyama. Unfortunately I never really gotten around to it, but since his passing and in a somewhat silly way to honour him, I figured this is as good a moment as any.

• Like 2

Same happens to me, I'm playing right now and I love it, I experimenting something similar like with FFIX, my favourite FF, is magic.

I never play any Dragon Quest but XI is gorgeous.

I tried before this Dragon Ball Kakarot, but I really don't like the combat system, maybe because I'm a noob, but the tutorial fight against piccolo is very boring and long and quit and try this instead.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 11:30 AM, Steven-Spiegel said:

Same happens to me, I'm playing right now and I love it, I experimenting something similar like with FFIX, my favourite FF, is magic.

I never play any Dragon Quest but XI is gorgeous.

I tried before this Dragon Ball Kakarot, but I really don't like the combat system, maybe because I'm a noob, but the tutorial fight against piccolo is very boring and long and quit and try this instead.

I only liked DB Kakarot for the nostalgia. The fighting was okay. Loved revisiting the Arcs which I grew up with. DQ 11 S is better in any way. 

I am also on this boat! I started DQXI (not the S version, the vanilla one) and I'm having a blast! Dragon Ball, Dr. Slump and Dragon Quest were my childhood and Akira Toriyama is by far my favourite mangaka, so let's enjoy everything he created.

Just Downloaded the definitive edition since its free for premium members (maybe all?) and am super excited to play it again.

Can't believe its been over 5 years since i played the first release. 

Seeing Toriyamas name in the opening sequences is beautiful. This man is truly immortal and i can't wait to see what they do in Sparking Zero regarding his unfortunate death.

Edited by CoregBlue

• 3 weeks later...

And I am done. It has been a very long time since I played this game on the switch, so I forgot how much content there is in this game. It felt like it took forever. It ends, like, 3 times or so and as lovely the art is, and as amusing as the writing is (so full of his trademark silliness with names and puns and stuff), this time around, I really felt like it overstayed its welcome. It could have been my mood near the end, but chasing down all the outfits really took a lot out of me :) BUT, I am very glad to have gone through this one again and I am also glad that it managed to be my 450th platinum. I do like it when a good game (despite my recent whining about it, this really is a good game) ends up taking a good platinum spot. Better this one than some of the grubby platinums I like to get. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 9:07 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Congrats on the replay. I too thought the game was too long (act 3, in particular, was completely unnecessary), though I still enjoyed it enough.

Oh wow, you are not kidding about the 3rd act. It just keeps going. The balance sheet at the end of the day points to me having fun with the game, even if the last parts of the trophy hunt was more on the "less fun" side of the equation.