PS2 performance on PS5

Hey there, I'm wondering how well PS2 classics run on the PS5. I've heard that there are some issues like graphical artifacts, but I don't really care as long as it's just cosmetic. What I'd like to know is if there are any game breaking issues when running PS2 games on PS5, or if there are specific titles to avoid on PS5. Thanks!

Apparently all of them have some kind of issue, basically because the PS2 emulator wasn't made with the PS5 in mind back in 2016.

I'm pretty sure there is a page that collects all of them, maybe even in psnp. I would suggest just playing those PS2 games in PS4 where they work fine, meanwhile the PS1/PSP classics don't really have a lot of issues in PS5 since they were made recently.

Edited by Jeanolt

1 hour ago, Jeanolt said:

Apparently all of them have some kind of issue, basically because the PS2 emulator wasn't made with the PS5 in mind back in 2016.

I'm pretty sure there is a page that collects all of them, maybe even in psnp. I would suggest just playing those PS2 games in PS4 where they work fine, meanwhile the PS1/PSP classics don't really have a lot of issues in PS5 since they were made recently.

It sounds super weird for me that when it comes to PS2 games on PS5, we're talking about the PS5 emulating the PS4 emulating the PS2 🤦‍♂️

Idk why they don't make the emulator to run natively on PS5, or build a new one from scratch which will be potentially much better. The emulator was not great on PS4 neither anyways (Jak or Bully comes to mind with lots of framerate issues)

Edited by BEAST_IHMOTEP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeanolt said:

I'm not sure if this is what you are thinking of but ive found it pretty helpful over the years.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-games-tech-details-resolution-frame-rate-backwards-compatibility-and-more.324880/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAST_IHMOTEP said:

Idk why they don't make the emulator to run natively on PS5, or build a new one from scratch which will be potentially much better.

Apparently they are making one! A while ago the company that makes the PS1/PSP ports updated their page saying they were doing also PS2 conversions, but they weren't able to give any information (mystic talks about it in this video).

I think it's a matter of time until we see new PS2 games ported, sony knows it's their most beloved console.

• Like 1